Author Topic: Crossdraw vs from the Hip?  (Read 11777 times)

Offline Coloradian

• Ex-Lawman
  • Citizen
  • Coloradian Sagebrush Cody ~ SASS #: 81442
    • Papa Duke Antler Tampers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Crossdraw vs from the Hip?
« on: June 26, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »
Howdy Ya’ll !
I figure this is a personal preference but all the same I’m gonna ask.

Being totally new to the SAR field I’m just now starting to work towards developing my draw.  Would you suggest a crossdraw or from the hip?
And what does everyone think of Oklahoma Leather?  With the belt $75.00 is the cheapest I’ve found and it’s a pretty nice looking rig.

I’d like to find second hand for my 5 & 1/2 Inch Stampede but after days of looking and days of drawing out of my jean pocket I’m thinking it’s time to cough up the dollars before I rip a hole in a $40.00 pair of levis and be that much farther in the whole?

You’re help is much appreciated!
Coloradian Sagebrush Cody
SASS Member No. 81442
www.PapaDuke.Net

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
Re: Crossdraw vs from the Hip?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:01:35 PM »
Attend some shoots and see what the regulars are offering.  They're always trading up, outgrowing  :o or otherwise itchin' to part with somethin'  that just might be the ticket.  I saw a San Pedro double rig for $100 that was nicely broken in, and about a 42" waist.  Nope...

Whatever the budget and your patience allows, but consensus seems to be that Oklahoma leather is OK  ??? but won't last long because it's thin.  So you end up paying more in the long run.  But for $75, if it lasts two seasons, you can then buy the better one.

Myself, I waited because I'm not geared up quite yet anyway.  I bought from Carrico.  http://carricoleather.com  Great work, authentic.  He's got a Slim Jim for $45 & lined belt for $79.  Unless he's got it in stock, which I doubt, you're gonna wait.  Me?  Definitely worth it.  But I'm not in a hurry, as much as I wish I could just plunge right in.  Can ya make a pair of jeans last a couple months?

I bought two holsters, the second one is a RH cross-draw which I was pleased to find sits just fine as a RH strong side holster; the cant is hardly noticable.  I'm not doing fast draw, and the sport doesn't allow it anyway.

There's a ton of info all over these forum pages, and they make a good read.  Good luck.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Coloradian

• Ex-Lawman
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 06:51:52 AM »
Thanks BP
Very good advice.  I didn't think about looking for some broken-in leather at the shoot.  I'll have to do just that.  Besides it give me another month to help break in the leather of my wallet?   

so the Crossdraw holster actually works for a side holster?  Interesting!
SASS Member No. 81442
www.PapaDuke.Net

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:56:11 PM »

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 07:55:19 AM »
Thanks BP
Very good advice.  I didn't think about looking for some broken-in leather at the shoot.  I'll have to do just that.  Besides it give me another month to help break in the leather of my wallet?   

so the Crossdraw holster actually works for a side holster?  Interesting!

Not all of them will
Mathew 5.9

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:02:30 AM »
What Litl Rooster said: not all of them will.  My crossdraw will work as strong side.  Not perfect, but good enough.  For the occaisions when I shoot CW, I may use it as a single holster in crossdraw anyway.

Always best to ask your potential leather maker.

Good huntin'!

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Coloradian

• Ex-Lawman
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 09:31:21 AM »
Thanks
So much to learn - so little time for lead to shoot!!! haha...

Still not sure how I want to learn though.  I'm thinking Crossdraw may be more comfortable in the saddle?  Is that true?
SASS Member No. 81442
www.PapaDuke.Net

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 424
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 10:03:55 AM »
What I think you need to look for is no more that 12- 15 degrees cant in the Holster if you plan to used it as a weak/or strong side.
I found on horse back ( years of reenacting )  the Mil. rear facing holster was most confortable off the hip, next was a crossdraw
somewhat adj rearward and to the side.

You might also concider, the shoulder rig bandoleer style of carry ....photo e-mail sent
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline kid sheleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • "He did it! He missed the barn!
    • Circle M Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 12:17:42 PM »
Hey Coloradian!

I find that effective crossdraw depends sorta on your body shape too.  I'm a big man with a bit of a gut and I find it hard to reach that far across the darn thing to grab the pistol!  And you have to remember to do the crossdraw shimmy to keep from sweeping anyone.  On the other hand  its easier if you don't have to transfer the gun from one hand to the other.  I had to practice that for a while.

On another note, what caliber are you shooting? I might have a black mexican double loop rig with both left and right fully lined holsters in full basketweave that I'd let go pretty cheap if you don't mind the  25 bullet loops set off center a bit.  The belt is fully lined too.  It's a 44" on the center hole so that gives you about a 2 or three inch leeway either way.  The loops are laced and wet molded in .45 colt. but are tight so would probably work for 44 cal too.

Anyway, whatever you decide,  Have a great time with it!  I love this sport!

Kid

Offline Coloradian

• Ex-Lawman
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 12:46:02 PM »
Thanks for the Link Major
That's a nice looking rig.

I'm shooting a Beretta Stampede 45 LColt with a 5 &1/2 barrel.  You're black mexican double loop rig sounds interesting but I doubt really I can do you justice.  I have just about $75.00 (plus shipping) with no immediate money coming in anytime too soon?  (household is Household $ I have a business on the side selling pipe tampers for my spending money)

Oh and in the pants I wear a 33 waist. 
Had to laugh at your reaching across the gut comment.  ANotherwords you'd be dead if you had to depend on getting that iron out fast enough?  ;)
SASS Member No. 81442
www.PapaDuke.Net

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 02:32:15 PM »
http://chisholmstrailleather.com
I'm having a crossdraw rig made by them right now. I don't own any Oklahoma leather myself, but I've seen it around and it appears to be of decent quality from what I've seen.

Offline kid sheleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • "He did it! He missed the barn!
    • Circle M Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »
yeah!  I ain't fast but i hit what i aim at mostly.  but at my age with my infirmities a 12 guage at 30 feet suits me.

Check your regular e-mail, i might have a proposition for you on your leather needs.

Kid

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 11:24:13 PM »
I asked Will Ghormley to make me a 'plain Jane' natural oiled leather (no stitching, no studs) copy of the rig that 'Charlie Price" used in '3:10 to Yuma'.

I don;t know if he was just being kind, but the cost of the two holsters was not much more than what I would have paid to Okahoma Leather ... and it is much thicker, the top is rolled outward to make it easier to put back after firing. And if the RO has a problem with a double crossdraw and me doing the 'cross draw wiggle' , I can reverse the holsters to make a pair of strong side holsters with about a 15 degree forward cant. Which is definitely nice when pulling those 7" Schofield barrels out of a holster.
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Crossdraw vs from the Hip? *IMHO*
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 12:19:26 AM »
Hi Coloadian,

We seem to have been going through some of the same changes; I am brand new to SASS ...... and like you, I considered crossdraw ... With my two 7" barrellled Schofields, they feel like I am drawing a saber they are so long .....

So I ordered the crossdraw Schofield holster through a firearms dealer.  I am told it is Oklahma Leather with a proprietal stamp of the gun company placed on it.

I won't say I was laughed out of the match taht I went to, but the consensus of very experienced shooters was that the leather was too thin, and would not hold up.

I was on  the 3:10 to Yuma website and they had a link to Will Ghormley's site (he did all the leather for the movie). Since I could not afford what he was asking for the Flames of Hell holster system that was worn by the character of Charley Prince, I asked him what a 'Plain Jane' version would cost, with a natural leather color and without stitching and studs.

The cost was little more than what I would pay for thinner leather. He also rolled the upper rim of the the holsters to make it quicker for the pistols to be put away.

Here is his website:

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/

And here is a pic of the finished  product:
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 12:22:35 AM »
I appologize for the double post .... I thought I had already posted, but my 'puter is doing some strange things and did not show the original post ........

Mea Culpa .......

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 02:38:18 AM »
BTW,

Although they are cross draw holsters, both pictures show the holsters reversed (left to right, right to left) to form a double strongside rig as Major 2 suggests in his post.
The cant of the holsters puts the weapons in a barrels-pointed-forward position, so that they can be pulled backwards and up so that the barrel comes out of the holster facing forward ... keeping the barrels within the '170 degree rule'.

So I think I have the 'best of both worlds' with these holsters .... crossdraw and double strong side ...

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com