Author Topic: ANY UBERTI SCHOFIELD 44-40 OWNERS ON THE BOARD? I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS  (Read 9556 times)

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello Lads,
first off, I own a pair of Cimarron Schofields in 45 colt with 7" barrels.  This pair are without a doubt the most accurate 45 colt pistols I have ever owned. I was lucky to have the Smith shop do a trigger job and to re cut the rear sight to a partridge.

I have lately done what I promised myself I wouldn't do, I have started shooting 44-40. I avoided this cartridge like the pox, due to the difficult to find brass, and the reloading problems that go with this round. I have a bunch or 44 special guns and have been happy with them  as a cowboy on Saturday night with a pocket full of money.

Six month ago my dealer gave me a low ball deal on a nice Great Western II in 44-40. I bought 500 starline cases and some laser cast bullets, added some RCBS cowboy dies, and thought that I would just plink with it as a homage the real cartridge of the old west.

It didn't go that way, now I am hooked, I found a 58 Remington conversion and a Rossi 92 in 44WCF, and boy they are all accurate, fun and easy to shoot with a 200 grain bullet it is a joy to shoot all day versus full load 45 colts.

Now having said all of that because I am old and feel the need to vomit out way too many details, the real reason of this post is to ask if there are any 44-40 Schofield shooters here? if so, how is the accuracy and did they shoot to point of aim out of the box? what diameter bullet do you need to use? any luck with black powder in them. Would you recommend them in this caliber?

I am so happy with my 45 Schofields, I am seriously thinking of getting a pair in 44-40.

thanks Lads,

wolf Killer

Donald Bowman

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: ANY UBERTI SCHOFIELD 44-40 OWNERS ON THE BOARD? I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
My first 44-40 was a Uberti Henry.  Couldn't turn it down for the price, but I was dubious ....

Now it's one of my favourite rifles. I really enjoy smacking our 100m and 200m gongs OFF HAND when the 'hunters' are patting themselves on the back for hitting it from the bench with their scoped rifles.

It was joined by a Uberti '66 carbine in 44-40 and a consecutively numbered pair of Taylor's Remington conversions. The latter are great shooters with very tight chambers. I have to test every cartridge to ensure that they will insert. Using a Lee factory crimp die has eased that problem considerably.

The 44-40 really shines when loaded with BP. I load 35 grs FFg under one of my Lyman 200 gr RNFP's. Doing up a batch right now ....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
.44-40 is my favorite caliber. I just finished loading 200 rounds of BP ammo. I used to have a 44-40 cal Schofield. It shot quite well out of the box with factory "cowboy" ammo. It wouldn't get through three rounds with BP. Wouldn't work at all. So I sold it and got a .45 Schofield. Shoots just as well as the 44 did, but I get through almost 50 rounds of BP ammo before it starts binding.

Advertising

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »
I just bought a Taylor's #3 .44 Russian. I sure hope that it doesn't bind up with BP.

.44-40 is my favorite caliber. I just finished loading 200 rounds of BP ammo. I used to have a 44-40 cal Schofield. It shot quite well out of the box with factory "cowboy" ammo. It wouldn't get through three rounds with BP. Wouldn't work at all. So I sold it and got a .45 Schofield. Shoots just as well as the 44 did, but I get through almost 50 rounds of BP ammo before it starts binding.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:31:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies pards.
Another thing that entices me to the 44WCF Schofield, is if I can score a 44 Russian cylinder, I can get it chambered to 44 Special.
I have a 66 Winberti and three other SAA in 44 special. This would be a great set of convertible guns.  I see a 44 special cylinder listed at VTI, but I think this is a fairy tale or a Europe only chamber.

Thanks,

Wolf Killer

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 08:37:29 PM »
I just bought a Taylor's #3 .44 Russian. I sure hope that it doesn't bind up with BP.

I have one of them too. Mine starts to get sticky after around 25-30 rounds. The S&W copies don't do nearly as good with BP as the Colt copies do. I had my russian reamed out to .44 special by Hoof Hearted, now it shoots 44 russian, 44 colt and 44 special. I really like it.

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 05:50:45 AM »
Look through the posts in this forum from Driftwood Johnson. He has pictures of work done by, a now retired gunsmith, Happy Trails.
I contacted Hap and he was able to give me more information about his work to pass onto my gunsmith.
I use APP, and in dry weather, can get through a full match without any issues. On a humid day, I can get through about 4 stages.
Then I spray some moose milk on a rag and wipe the face of the cylinder and I'm good to go to the finish.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »
Didn't realize that I could have the cylinder reamed to .44 Spl. If I could think of a good reason to do it, I would. In the meantime, "... if it ain't broke ..."
If .44 Russian brass wasn't readily available, it would make a lot of sense, as opposed to the task of trimming down .44 Spl., which a friend has just done for me (100 cases) while I wait for a back order from Star-Line.

I have one of them too. Mine starts to get sticky after around 25-30 rounds. The S&W copies don't do nearly as good with BP as the Colt copies do. I had my russian reamed out to .44 special by Hoof Hearted, now it shoots 44 russian, 44 colt and 44 special. I really like it.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »
EDIT!
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 10:00:07 AM »
Yes, SIR!!!

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 10:20:40 AM »
Didn't realize that I could have the cylinder reamed to .44 Spl. If I could think of a good reason to do it, I would. In the meantime, "... if it ain't broke ..."
If .44 Russian brass wasn't readily available, it would make a lot of sense, as opposed to the task of trimming down .44 Spl., which a friend has just done for me (100 cases) while I wait for a back order from Star-Line.

I don't know who told you that you can convert a .44-40 cylinder/chamber to .44 Russian/Special. The base diameter of both, as well as the Russian's "grandson" the .44 Magnum, is smaller than the .44-40's base diameter. You could take a rifle and set the barrel back and rechamber, but the only way to convert a revolver from .44-40 to .44 Spl would be to reline the chambers!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 11:05:16 AM »
don't know who told you that you can convert a .44-40 cylinder/chamber to .44 Russian/Special. The base diameter of both, as well as the Russian's "grandson" the .44 Magnum, is smaller than the .44-40's base diameter. You could take a rifle and set the barrel back and rechamber, but the only way to convert a revolver from .44-40 to .44 Spl would be to reline the chambers!

Hello,
That is not what I said in my post. if you had read my original post, I said to rechamber a 44 Russian cylinder to 44 special.
What I did say, that I was interested in buying a 44-40 Schofield, and ordering a 44 Russian cylinder to rechamber to 44 special.
This way I could have two calibers in one gun to match both my 44-40 and 44Special rifles
I am full aware of the chamber limits of the 44-40

Thanks for the lecture though.

Donald Bowman

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »
Some guys are awful quick to shoot from the lip .....

Crow is a dish best eaten warm. Cowboy logic 101. I've eaten a lot of it ... ;>)

I don't know who told you that you can convert a .44-40 cylinder/chamber to .44 Russian/Special. The base diameter of both, as well as the Russian's "grandson" the .44 Magnum, is smaller than the .44-40's base diameter. You could take a rifle and set the barrel back and rechamber, but the only way to convert a revolver from .44-40 to .44 Spl would be to reline the chambers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com