Author Topic: A Consumer's Conundrum on the Schofield Model 3  (Read 14695 times)

Offline Ponte

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A Consumer's Conundrum on the Schofield Model 3
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »
Good afternoon gents,

First time poster, long time lurker.  After scouring a solid 11 pages of the Frontier Iron section, I feel the need to ask a few questions that relate to the current state of the replica Schofields, namely all the different distributors of the Uberti models.

First off, I'm a US Army veteran (3rd Infantry Regiment 2007-2011) that's just gotten into the wonderful world of "The Old West" thanks to my fiance, who recently received from me a Pietta 1858 and Taylor Firearms conversion cylinder for Christmas (she was a huge fan of Pale Rider, so my mind was instantly made up on her gift).  Both of us wish to pursue a life long hobby of Cowboy Action Shooting, and are looking into various groups/societies to get into all while building historically accurate clothing/rigs to participate.  I have been WWII Re-enacting since I was 14 (25 now), and place a great emphasis on nailing every detail in terms of historical accuracy in my impressions. 

However...I'm currently in a pickle in terms of what I should genuinely go with in my path to obtaining a quality, historically accurate replica of the Schofield Model 3.  From what I've gathered, Cimarron currently is regarded as the top contender in terms of finish and factory standards.  Catch is...their representatives are stating an almost 8 month backorder, while NUMEROUS online gun shops that I'm contacting are saying "About 1-3 months for a restock".  Okay.....

I guess my biggest question is: Am I going to be just as okay with a Taylor & Co. Firearms Schofield (estimated restock in about 2 months), or any Uberti marked one for that matter if I happen across one at a gun show (Nation's Gun Expo in Chantilly, VA is coming in a few weeks)?  Or should I REALLY strive for that Cimarron?  My goal is to pick up two for some cavalry twist shooting (you can thank Charlie Prince from "3:10 to Yuma" for this). 

I apologize for this essay of a post, and I realize people have asked about Cimarron before, but this is a pretty sizable investment and the QC for these guns is apparently ALWAYS changing from year to year.  In addition...it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get an actual hands-on with different distributors' Schofield (240p youtube videos don't really cut it).

Thanks to anyone that can give some input on this.   

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: A Consumer's Conundrum on the Schofield Model 3
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 04:20:43 PM »
If you are contemplating getting into cowboy action shooting...
First! Go find local matches and watch and learn and talk to the shooters and ask them about thier guns
There are two cowboy shooting paths
SASS and NCOWS
SASS does not require you to be historically correct
NCOWS strives for more authenticity
Uberti is the maker of the Schofield and Russian models imported by Taylors and Cimarron
Same guns, different importers
They are great guns; but in my honest opinion, I wouldn't make them my first guns if I was just starting out
If you really want a pair, keep your eyes out on the online auction sites like gunbroker.com, gunauction.com and gunsamerica.com
Historically correct is neat; but will cost you more to do so.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »
All the current Schofields are made by Uberti and they are all the same.  There is no difference in fit and finish other than the normal gun to gun variation.  Doesn't matter whether its imported by Navy Arms, Taylors or Cimmarron.  They are all the same.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:42:25 AM »

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 06:49:54 PM »
This is off the subject, but if you are in Northern Va., consider taking a trip over to the N-SSA  range in Winchester in the spring. The era is 20 years earlier than CAS, but lots of fun.

As for your kit, start off with affordable and work your way up. Your Remy conversion would be a great place to start. As the above posts suggest, go to some events and see what's out there. Also, the best way to be authentic is to read a lot. For every piece of gear you get, get a book and escape into history at lunch time.

Offline WV Scrounger

• Top Active Citizen
  • HILLBILLY
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »
First off :  WELCOME PONTE  !   You found a great bunch of fellers here  and so far they have offered great advice.
 You have plenty of time to make purchases...

Offline 45Russian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:06 PM »
Personal experience only, and not apples to apples but the quality of my Cimarron imported Russian is much better than a Stoeger imported Schofield I used to have. Same goes for my Cimarron 1873 Win. Could just be a coincidence though.

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 06:27:57 AM »
Personal experience only, and not apples to apples but the quality of my Cimarron imported Russian is much better than a Stoeger imported Schofield I used to have. Same goes for my Cimarron 1873 Win. Could just be a coincidence though.

Personally, I feel it's more of a coincidence myself. My pair came from Taylors and are about 40 apart in their serial numbers. One is smoother and just a little nicer than the other.
Depending on the time frame in which they were actually manufactured, I feel it's quite possible that your Stoeger gun may not be as refined as the newer Cimarron. As with any thing handmade, skilled craftsmen usually get better with what they do in time.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 10:56:17 AM »

A good comparison would be to say that a Chevy from dealer A is better finished that a Chevy from dealer B.  A Chevy is a Chevy and any variation is luck of the draw.  (Made on Wednesday instead of Friday afternoon or Monday morning. ;))

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 11:08:43 AM »
Ponte,

As already stated, get any of the currently manufactured Ubert Schofield models and you will be ok.  I have 5 Uberti Top Breaks (2 Taylor, 1 Navy, 2 Beretta).  Fit and finish is a non-issue between all of them.

Uberti finishes and releases the No. 3's in batches about every 6 months.  The last batch came in late last summer.  

You should get in touch with a local dealer who specializes in CAS guns.  Get on a waiting list for the next batch.

BTW, these are the only style of main match revolver I use.  You have good taste.

Thanks for your service.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 11:51:12 PM »
FWIW,

Like now, I couldnt find any new Schofields, so I was lucky enough to buy a territorial governor's 'practice' Navy Arms Schofields ... he had polished them, widened the rear site  and so much more ...

They are a pleasure to shoot .... and I feel his work and loving hands every time I hold them ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Hill Beachy

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »
Ponte:

Welcome to the group.  My advice to you is to see if you can find one to handle and/or shoot, perhaps at a match in your area.  "Try before you buy" if you can.  I am of medium height but have somewhat large hands, and find it uncomfortable to grip and cock the hammer on the Schofield.  Knowing that you were in The Old Guard, you probably are quite tall, so this might not be an issue for you.  But it's better to find out now, before you spend the money.

As others have mentioned, any of the current crop of Schofields should be comparable in quality. However, be aware that Cimarron imported a number of Schofields manufactured by Armi San Marcos (ASM) during the mid-1990s and these had a reputation for malfunctions.  There are relatively few still out there though. 

Best of luck, whatever you decide!
"But you know you can still smell the roses,
When you're running with them in your hand..."  -- Slim Dusty

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 03:40:08 PM »
howdy, Ponte,
Welcome to our campfire! Thank you for your service!

One thing to keep in mind is that neither the Uberti Schofields nor the (now discontinued, but you can occasionally find them) S&W 2000 "Schofields" are completely true replicas of the origiinals. The Uberti's probably come the closest although the cylinders are lengthened to accomodate the .45 Long Colt cartidge. Smith & Wesson 2000 had the frame shortened, I guess to prevent anybody from chambering it for the .45 LC as opposed to the .45 Schofield round. In both case, the breech end of the barrels were shortend relative to the cylinder face, resulting in less tolernace for black powder fouling. (Yes, I've heard of some folks having less trouble with black powder, but most find it better to use smokeless loads).

My recommendation for you would be for whatever Uberti Schofield you can get your hands on.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Ponte

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 07:34:39 PM »
I'm extremely grateful for the help all you guys have given me, as well cleared up any prior misconceptions I've had.  I've recently had the pleasure of fooling around with a non-firing replica Schofield my fiance's father owns, and just as I expected: perfect hand fit.  Cocking, handling, etc. feel incredibly natural, and I see no problem with me firing a live one in the near future. 

I'm hoping Taylor Firearms is right when they stated a 2 month restock wait, because I DO NOT want to wait a solid 8-9 months for a Cimarron (this is straight from one of their company's reps) when it's essentially the same thing.  I'm also crossing my fingers for the possibility of coming across one at the Dulles Expo Gun Show in Chantilly, VA.

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 12:52:14 PM »
FWIW, Dixie Gun Works has the .45 "cavalry" schofield in stock. That's where I bought mine last year.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_185&products_id=2562

Offline Ponte

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »
MJN77...you are a saint. ;D

Just placed an order with Dixie, should hear back from my local gunshop later today when the transfer goes through.  From what I understand, "Dixie Gun Works" is stamped on the left of the gun, but it's really no different than all the other distributors and the "Made in Italy" markings.  Can't wait to take it out to the range later this week when it comes in!

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »
MJN77...you are a saint.
Been called a lot of things in my life, but never a saint. :) Yes, Dixie stamps their guns where it is easily seen. Other than that it's just like any other Uberti.

Offline Ponte

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 05:23:12 PM »
I'm wondering...I know gunsmiths can re-finish weapons, but would it be out of the question to have all engravings (minus serial of course) sanded out and replaced with historically accurate markings that mirror original Schofields?  (Smith and Wesson, location, years, etc)

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
I'm wondering...I know gunsmiths can re-finish weapons, but would it be out of the question to have all engravings (minus serial of course) sanded out and replaced with historically accurate markings that mirror original Schofields?  (Smith and Wesson, location, years, etc)

Nothing is "out of the question" if you have enough money to apply to solving the problem.  I don't know where you would get the dies for the "historically accurate" markings.  Unless you can do the work yourself (or know someone that will do it free or cheap) it would be cheaper to buy an original.

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »
If'n ya buy an Uberti Schofield from Dixie or Taylors, I wouldn't worry about them markings much
I won't be able to see 'em from my house  ;D

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »
If'n ya buy an Uberti Schofield from Dixie or Taylors, I wouldn't worry about them markings much
I won't be able to see 'em from my house  ;D

+1.  I've shot a lot of different guns at a lot of different shoots all over the country and no one has ever bothered to try and read what's stamped on the guns.  :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com