Author Topic: Need Clarification on Colt 1860 grip frames  (Read 1165 times)

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need Clarification on Colt 1860 grip frames
« on: January 16, 2020, 07:15:12 AM »
I see reproduction 1860 Colts with various grip frames...

Brass
Blued
Three Finger length
Four finger length

USA
London

Navy
Army

Is there anywhere I can go and read up on this.

Mine are Pietta (converted) with blued grip frame and longer than an 1873 type frame

I'm told they are "London" versions because they are blued steel and longer than the USA version......????

Any help appreciated
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Need Clarification on Colt 1860 grip frames
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 09:11:58 AM »

:D  Monsieur rbertalotto   :D

You do have a minor quandary.  Unfortunately there are glitches.  Some from Colt, some from the Replacants.  Colt built the 1860 in ALL of the configurations you mention.  Early 1860s had 1851 Grips.  Later, the longer Army pattern Grips.  Some were made with steel, some with brass, some half and half.  Supposedly, "London" Navy's were the only 1851s with all steel Grips (not true).

Now for the really fun part.  Pietta pays absolutely NO attention to hysterical accuracy.  None.  Not at all.  Pietta builds lots and lots of Never Never guns (THANKFULLY).  Pietta 1860 Frames are mostly 50/50 steel.  Steel back strap with a brass trigger guard.  Pietta only did a very few all brass frames for the 1860.  1851 Grips are almost all, all Brass.

So:  Depending on whether or not you are trying to portray a specific time frame, a specific origin, or whether or not you held your tongue right, an 1860 Grip "Could" be any of those you mention.  This should have cleared it right up   ::) 

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 09:28:57 AM »
Thanks!...(I think?)  ???

What grip frame did the British Navy use?  I'm told the steel grip frame was required because the salt air would cause too much upkeep on the brass frames.....?? And the British Navy requested the long Army grip frame....?

There must be an article or a book on this somewhere....
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:27:57 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 09:38:28 AM »

Yep.  There are books and books and books that cover the guns and their variations.  Unfortunately, I don't remember Authors nor book titles.  Major 2 may chime in and be a better source of "specifics" than I.  Or maybe one of the other more Hysterical guys.  I'm mostly a keeper of generalities.  I remember a photograph of a British Navy pistol rack but the photo was black and white.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com