Author Topic: Made a Quiver and Arrow  (Read 10256 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Made a Quiver and Arrow
« on: December 19, 2005, 06:49:44 AM »
Hey all, I posted a pic in the leather section, but thought I would add more here.  This is a native inspired quiver I made for a friend to give to her father for Christmas.  I added the arrow as I always wanted to make one.   The leather is some tanned deerskin I picked up at some point, wit rabbit fur at the top.  The conchos are made from missouri mussel shells and the whole thing was stiched with buffalo leg sinew.  This was the difficult part.  I bashed using a 2x4 and an ax handle.  I bashed it until it started to separate and turn white, at which point I soaked it to separate into individual fibers.  I stiched using a saddle stitch while still wet.  I didn't pull the thread tight as it shrank when dried.  I used the same sinew with a little hide glue to set the flint tip in the arrow.  I still need work on my fletching, at least in splitting the feather and getting the spacing correct.  A another pair of hands would have been handy, but it was just me this weekend. 

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Made a Quiver and Arrow
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 01:35:00 PM »
Nice work. I've done some flint knapping and I've fletched a bunch of arrows but I've never made a stone tipped arrow. I'm sure that the recipient will appreciate the work you did!

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 06:05:20 PM »
Very nice!  Perhaps Ottowa Creek Bill (a native Odawa) will see this and comment - I know he does knapping and other related things.  I think Singing Bear is also part American Indian and does these things, too.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:23:19 PM »

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 09:03:37 PM »
Very nice work pardner... ;D
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:13:01 PM »
Love it! Wished i had one!
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »
Very nice and utilitarian quiver, it looks like it will give many years of service.
Just out of simple curiosity, what did you use to form the arrow holder section of your quiver?
Best regards and good stitching!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 09:28:41 AM »
Hi OG,
I. Used a paper tube.  My father ran a paper tube company, so I still have bits and pieces left.   It was a four inch diiameter tube that just slid down in. The fur on the interior hid it.

A little more clarification.  I only used the tube for display (which sadly was what it was made for).  It was to hang next to a mounted buck that had been taken during archery season.   I have heard the arrow rests across the antlers.   I designed it with a double thickness of leather on bottom, so the quiver could be used.   Their was enough of a lip of the fur, stitched in the upper interior to hold a properly cut length of tube in place.   It gives the quiver a bit of stiffness and depth.  I have a medieval one I made for a friend to use, the veg-tan leather is stiff enough to hold the shape.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com