Author Topic: Officer's Sack Coat  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Officer's Sack Coat
« on: September 14, 2008, 04:21:20 PM »

Have seen three different versions of  US officer's sack coat for 1870s and need to know which is most correct.  All have 5 button front but one has curly wide piping, one has only a black fringe down the front and the other is plain blue. The first two have inside pocket but thord one (plain) has an inside and two leftside outside pockets.  My persona retired in May of 1876 so I suppose it should either be the 1872 version or as I read in "Forty Miles A Day On Beans And Hay"  he may have still had his CW issue coat with shoulder boards.  SOOO... how about some feedback.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Officer's Sack Coat
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 07:54:19 PM »
Go with the 1872. Be aggressive...
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:33:07 PM »
Richard,  They are all 1872 issue except the CW version.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:15:47 AM »

Offline Zouave Officer

• Carolina Zouave
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Death Or Glory!
    • Palmetto Riflemen & New York Zouaves
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:30:43 PM »
At the time Officers Uniform's were still Private Purchase, so my suggestion would be go with the one that you would choose if you were him. If he was an active Field Officer on Campaign he probaly would have gone for the more practicle and that would probaly not make him stand out in action any more than necessary, if he was a Staff or Garrison Officer he probaly would have gone with something alittle more high end with the piping on it. It all depends upon how you wish to portray him.
- Captain, "Palmetto Riflemen" & "New York Zouaves."
- Charles Devens Jr. Camp No. 10, Sons of Union Veterans.
- Micah J. Jenkins Camp No. 164, Sons of Spanish American War Veterans.

"There’s no use dodging. You will be hit when your body and bullets are at the same place at the same time….
Captain Henry J. Reilly, Battery F, 5th U.S. Artillery, 1898.

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 05:38:13 AM »
Because officers wore privately purchases (tailored) uniforms, they were also expected to follow the latest regulations.  Pick a year and wear what was authorized for that time.

In the field uniform regulations were frequently relaxed (it was up to the senior regimental officer present to decide how much), and it was quite common for both soldiers and officers to wear older sytle uniforms (or parts) since they usually wore out by the time the campaign was over.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:59:45 AM »
Our commander is spot on, especially concerning field/campaign clothing.  Most officers wore the most rugged, but oldest clothing, if they wore uniforms at all!  (Gen. Crook wore a canvas suit and pith helmet most of the time in the field.  He was often mistaken for a correspondent or one of the other "hangers-on" by troops who had never seen him.)  There are photos of 3rd Cavalry officers in a book called, "With Crook in the Black Hills" that show a mixed bag of clothing, including 1872 pleated sack coats, civilian hunting jackets, buckskin, etc.  About the most common item of clothing would be officer's trowsers (spelling contemporary), with the 1-1/2" wide stripe down the seam, in the branch color.  Even then, officers might also be seen with the Civil War-1871 cord, rather than a stripe, or buckskins or something they bought at the suttler's store!

Hope this helps, rather than confuses!

Your obedient servant,
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 10:51:58 PM »
Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Since I am the Mo Div. Commander, I guess that for this year I can dress in whatever I like while on this campaign. I shall just have to break out the Crow War shirt and kersey blue woolies (pants) for this particular soiree. Might even bring along my Crow leggins, moccasins and breechclout to add a little color (only if it warm).

It will be an interesting time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com