Author Topic: GAF Artillery  (Read 8810 times)

Offline Will Dearborn

• "Ramrod, wreckage, and ruin..."
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GAF Artillery
« on: April 29, 2007, 11:51:48 AM »
Howdy.

I did a stint in the US Army as an Artilleryman (that's gun bunny to YOU! )   Don't know if it qualifies me for GAF Atry, though.  Them cannons is like muzzleloaders... only backards, right?  *snicker*  I was also a Merchant Marine Captain on the Missippi, Missouri, Ohio, Illinois, and a couple other rivers.  If there's Navy that far inland.  At any rate...  I sent in an enrollment form online.  And I'm open to any tips.  Furthermore, I'd love to hear from folks around the Missouri area about any local things that go on.  I live about 20 minutes from Lexington, Missouri.  And live IN the town that Gen. Jo Shelby spent much time in.

Anyway.  Too much time on my hands and not enough ways to spend it.

"First comes smiles; then comes lies.  Last is gunfire."
                                                -Roland of Gilead
V.P., Waverly Arts Council
Chairman, Gen. Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade Assn.
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467
Private, 7th and 30th Cons. Missouri Inf.  "Irish Brigade"

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: GAF Artillery
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 02:31:57 PM »
Books O'Toole is our artillery commander, and is the proud owner of a 12-pdr howitzer.  We do have several members who portray artillerists, from the CW to 1900.  Books is located in the KC area, I believe.  He is also a good authority on authenticity and equippage.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 07:48:53 PM »
Howdy.

I did a stint in the US Army as an Artilleryman (that's gun bunny to YOU! )   Don't know if it qualifies me for GAF Atry, though.  Them cannons is like muzzleloaders... only backards, right?  *snicker*  I was also a Merchant Marine Captain on the Missippi, Missouri, Ohio, Illinois, and a couple other rivers.  If there's Navy that far inland.  At any rate...  I sent in an enrollment form online.  And I'm open to any tips.  Furthermore, I'd love to hear from folks around the Missouri area about any local things that go on.  I live about 20 minutes from Lexington, Missouri.  And live IN the town that Gen. Jo Shelby spent much time in.

Anyway.  Too much time on my hands and not enough ways to spend it.

So, are you planning to portray a "Cannon Cocker" or a River Boat Captain?  Most of the Artillerymen during the period from 1865 to 1890 were transfered to Cavalry.  Artillery regiments were down to a handfull and dedicated Artillery were usually in Coastal Artillery Forts.

The Army set up an Artillery School at Fort Reily to help keep artillerymen up to date in their training.  That lasted only a couple of years before it was closed and the Red Legs were transfered to the Cavalry.

Artillery wasn't popular with the frontier Army.  It could not keep up with fast moving Infantry and Cavalry.  The 12 pounder and 3 inch Ordnance Rifle were heavy and difficult to pull over the plains and mountainous terrain.  The most popular piece of Artillery was the Hotchkiss 2.75 inch Mountain/Pack Howitzer.  It was made to be broken down and transported by pack animals to where it was needed.  Records indicate that it was used during the Nex Perz conflict.

By the way, GO ORDNANCE!
;D
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:23:59 AM »

Offline Will Dearborn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 08:10:08 PM »
Heh.  Powder Monkey, all the way.  I'm so tired of the Riverboat gig that I could scream, to be honest, bud.  I've prolly passed more river water through my body than most folk've ever seen.  *snicker*

I suppose I could go with an Arty/Cav mix.  Lets me wear a big ol' fancy hat and still keep the crimson highlights, maybe.

Thanks for the info!

Keep em comin'.
                                                -Roland of Gilead
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:17:35 AM »
Will

Welcome to GAF! After the War between the States( I am in Atlanta and cant say Civil War!) , the Regular Army was down to about 25000 with plenty of Irish involved.There were 10 regiments of cavalry and I think they are well represented. I also think they got most of the glory (probably because of Custer!?)

At this time, there were 5 regiments of  Artillery and 25 regiments of Infantry (later consolidated). I believe they are forgotten. Your decision to stick with Artillery is noble. I disagree with the statement that the Artillery was "transferred" to the Cavalry. I believe in  most  cases they kept their Artillery unit designation  although they were used as cavalry  or mounted infantry.

Best, CF

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 10:51:50 AM »
The most practical artillery piece for use in the west was the 12 pound Mountain Howitzer.  However, it was rarely issued to Artillery units.  When mounted on a Prairie carraige, they were usally issued in pairs (a section) to cavalry units.  A section of Mt. Howitzers could keep up with the Cav.

According to Steve Allie, Curator of the Ft. Leavenworth museum, the doctrine called for a section (2) of Mt. Howitzers to be teamed with a section of Gatling Guns.  The howitzers would shell an Indian village and the gatlings were used to protect the howitzers from angry Indians.

I know of no instances where this was actually applied.

In 1890 the Mountain Howitzer was replaced with the Hotchkiss gun.  The Mountain Howizter had been in the U.S. Arsenal since 1836. (Not many weapons remained in use for 54 years.)

Respectfully;

Michael "Books" Tatham
Capt. 5th Kansas Battery, Acting Arty. Commander, Dept of Missouri

[Does anyone want to buy a Mountain Howitzer?  Then you cound be chief of artillery.]
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Will Dearborn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 10:58:45 AM »
Heh.  Depends.  How much are they going for on EBAY?  HOw much for the Uberti clone?  ;)

Thanks for all the info.  Keep em coming.  I think I've actually seen a mountain howitzer.  Isn't there a modern Army arty company that races an ostacle course with the gun?  Set up, fire it, dismantle, move the pieces across a course and reassemble and fire it for a timed score?  I'll see if I can find a video/link for what I'm talking about.

Wil

-Roland of Gilead
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 12:30:10 PM »
Heh.  Depends.  How much are they going for on EBAY?  HOw much for the Uberti clone?  ;)

Isn't there a modern Army arty company that races an ostacle course with the gun?  Set up, fire it, dismantle, move the pieces across a course and reassemble and fire it for a timed score?  I'll see if I can find a video/link for what I'm talking about.

Wil

Yes the British army has still has a small "pack" gun. 

If we do another GAF Match at the KVC range we will do something similar.

I think it will require a six man team.  Fire the gun;  break it down (wheels, carraige, tube & limber box), move it to a new firing position, re-assemble, load & fire.  Team with the best time wins.  (With strict safety oversite for loading & firing.)

This will be to commemorate Capt. Sam Grant's feat at Mexico City.  He directed a crew that packed a Mt. Howitzer up into a chruch steeple, re-assembled it and bombarded the defended gate.

Capt. "Books" Tatham
5th Kansas Battery

G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 10:27:35 AM »
Howdy!

Great history lesson, Books!  Glad  I  didn't have to help tote a mountain howitzer, however light and portable, up a steeple!  How much does the heaviest part weigh?

Greetings, Will.  I portray one of those Artillery to Cavalry transplants.  ( [un]Civil War Arty to Indian Wars 4th Cav. )  Difference is, I made the switch myself, rather than a re-assignment.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Will Dearborn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 02:28:33 PM »
Heh. 

I enjoyed the history lesson as well.  Led me to going to the library and getting a few books on arms and equipment of the War of Secession.  I knew that modern artillery had many choices as far as what projectile was fired... but I had no idea there were so many choices in the CW.

Thankya,

Will

-Roland of Gilead
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 11:30:01 PM »
The gun crews that compete with disassembling their guns and firing them are mostly out of England and Europe. I recall years ago seeing on TV a great show about the Royal Horse Artillery competing against a Royal Naval crew, both doing this. We didn't have a VCR back them, darn it. I'd still love to see a DVD of something like that!
I'm a CW gun bunny ever since a was a little kid. In the 60's, my Dad hand built his own M1841 six-pounder, all with bronze parts except the tires, hub bands and locking rig at the end of the trail and the barrel (he couldn't cast a bronze barrel in one piece, the other parts have to be iron for strength). All parts hand made to specs...

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 06:41:51 PM »
"Gun Run" competitions and demonstrations are a common feature in Military displays.  This was the first "hit" when I googled "Artillery Gun Run"

With a bit of luck, someone could find a video online.  I have witnessesd these demos frequently.  As a boy in a navy town, RCN gunteams were always featured in the Victoria Day parade in my home town of VICTORIA BC.

It takes a lot of training and teamwork to do this effectively, and SAFELY.

http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/cms_gallery/gallery_e.asp?x=1&page=11

ARTILLERY LENDS DIGNITY TO WHAT OTHERWISE WOULD BE A VULGAR BRAWL!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 06:59:52 PM »
"ARTILLERY LENDS DIGNITY TO WHAT OTHERWISE WOULD BE A VULGAR BRAWL!

That is correct.

Michael "Books" Tatham
Capt. 5th Kansas Battery
Actiing Artillery Commander, Dept. of Missouri
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 10:13:35 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Ticonderoga

"Where a goat can go, a man can go, where a man can go, he can drag a gun"

Maj. Gen William Phillips at Ticonderoga, July 1777

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:qc82mUsyyPAJ:www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1992/BSA.htm+Artillery+the+final+arguement+of+Kings&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=ca

ARTILLERY;  "The Final Arguement of Kings"

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 10:35:04 AM »

Here is a video of the Canadian Army Gun Run race 2006

Offline Will Dearborn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 12:13:42 AM »
Okay.  Ordered my uniform today.  I decided to go with an impression of an Irish Brigader private.

That means Infantry.  I went with a regular jacket, for now... as I don't really have the cash for a New York Miltia jacket right now.

THat'll probably be the first thing I buy after I get the rest of the guns I need.

After I get the pins and things rounded up, I'll post a picture of Private Will Dearborn, 69th New York Infantry.

Long days and pleasant nights,
Will
                                                -Roland of Gilead
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 08:25:17 AM »
Cool, Will!

Great links, Sir Charles - thanks!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 08:28:23 AM »
Cap'n. Bishop, is that a photo of your Dad's handiwork?  Even if not, I salute him!  I wish MY Dad had made a replica 6 pounder!  (I wish I had the talent to make one me-own-self!)

Books, you need to post a picture of your Mountain Howitzer.  Please!

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 11:43:55 PM »
Cap'n. Bishop, is that a photo of your Dad's handiwork?  Even if not, I salute him!  I wish MY Dad had made a replica 6 pounder!  (I wish I had the talent to make one me-own-self!)
Yep, that's it, all right! It cracked me up when he made the second carriage for it in the early 80s, he couldn't bring himself to paint it so he varnished it instead! We even used to do competition arty shooting with other gun crews, went to lots of muzzleloading shoots in Florida and Georgia in the 70s-early 80s. We tore the merry heck out of backstops and the rifle crowd couldn't use the range when we usually shot on Sundays (I think they also deeply resented any media coverage going to us). It all petered out by about 1981. Man, it was so much fun to do these growing up as a kid, I always looked forward to the springtime for that very reason!
My brother and I always used to joke that Dad actually had three sons, and his "iron" one must have been his favorite as it came first!  :D

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 08:35:20 AM »

My brother and I always used to joke that Dad actually had three sons, and his "iron" one must have been his favorite as it came first!  :D

Well, I'll bet it was the LOUDEST!  :o  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com