Author Topic: 9mm Blackhawk  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Joe4d

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
9mm Blackhawk
« on: May 27, 2006, 08:52:32 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the Blackhawk .357/9mm two cylinder guns ? From a reloading and logistics side 9mm makes alot of since in a plinking gun for the wife right now. Seems to me the tapered case of the 9mm would cause cylinder bind but then again maybe not. not really looking to run anything hotter than standard bargain bin Win and Rem ammo. It has also been my experience that weapon platforms designed around a specific bullet work pretty well but modifications to the platform to work with a different style or caliber case work not so well.

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
Re: 9mm Blackhawk
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 09:19:27 PM »
Howdy Joe, 
I have a Blackhawk convertable in .357/9mm and have found that I get my best accuracy with lead bullets in the 9mm cylinder, they deform to fit the larger bore than the jacketed ammo does, Your milage may vary
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Joe4d

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 11:05:20 PM »
Not real worried about pinpoint acuracy and like you will probably shoot mostly cast, I have a ton of .356 lead that I cant use in my 1911 9mm match gun as it has a Nowlin slightly undersized barrel, was just wondering if you experienced any cylinder bind or functioning problems. Weopon will be for the wife, she likes to shoot and wants a "Cowboy style revolver I am deployed alot all her other guns are 9mm so it would fall into the keep it simple rule if the revolver would shoot the same bullets,

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:43:05 AM »

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 08:19:28 AM »
I haven't had a single problem with my revolver, It's an Old Model 3 screw that has had a lot of rounds through it. I have heard of problems with some of the .45 convertables with head  space and the .45acp rounds not firing when hit, But nothing with the 9mm revolvers.
Hope this helps.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:25:04 AM »
Don't own one right now.  So I can't really test my fresh cast loads.  :(
The one I usta own shot good enough & grouped pretty well with either .357 or 9mm.  I recollect the 9mm cylinder only shot about 1" different than the .357 one.  Lower, I think.   ??? ???

Oughta find 'nother one.  I got a bunch of 9mm jacketed frangible range ammo to shoot up.  ::)
But it really ain't our caliber (not bein' a warthog cal).

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Deacon Will

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 08:57:21 PM »
Got one I picked up used.  It is a tuff well made gun with a bunch of steel around it.  In .38 spl. it puts 5 rounds in a hole that I can cover with a quarter at 25 feet.  It has appeared in the Cowboy Chronicle last year in an article about reloading..... I fitted it with a birds head grip, Bisley hammer and new trigger, free spin pawl and all new springs and pins..... a real shooter.
Deacon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com