Author Topic: Comparing 8:10 to Yuma . . .  (Read 3344 times)

Offline flyingcollie

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Comparing 8:10 to Yuma . . .
« on: July 04, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »
While we're resurrecting remakes, what do y'all think of the "new" 8:10 to Yuma, compared to the "original" with Glenn Ford and Van Heflin ?

I'll cast my vote for the original . . . ;)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
Re: Comparing 3:10 to Yuma . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 03:45:41 PM »
Original

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1217
Re: Comparing 8:10 to Yuma . . .
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »
The train is 5 hours late  :D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:01:25 PM »

Offline The Black Spot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »
I liked the ending on the original, but the action on the new

Offline Charlie Prince

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:26:34 AM »
The point that I recreated the costume of the new Charlie Prince right down to the buttons on his jacket and the Pinkerton pocket watch he takes early in the film may expose my bias.

The original is a great film, no doubt. I actually watched it after I saw the 2007 version, somehow expecting the 1957 to be unable to keep up. I found that they're two distinctly different films- I would say the '57 film is more of a theatrical piece that centers on the actions of two men, whereas the '07 edition is about the journey to Contention itself, so the characters have a little more room to shine (such as Doc Potter and Charlie). These films may share the same origin, but they wound up being two completely different takes on their source material.

I know a lot of people gripe about the ending of the '07 film, but I never saw a problem with it. We see little hints throughout the film that Wade takes an interest in Dan early on, and you can see that he actually cares about him enough to try and convince Dan to go home and not risk his life for the greedy railroad. Ben even had several chances to kill Dan and escape throughout the journey, but relents each time.

On the flip side, he doesn't always seem as keen about his own gang of bloodthirsty "animals", as he calls them. Remember, Ben is introduced in this film as being aloof from his gang, opting to be by himself to sketch a hawk. He doesn't even participate in the robbery itself until it seems like the stagecoach is going to get away. He even seems to convey a sense of hatred towards them as he explains why he shot Tommy during the stagecoach robbery.

So, it didn't shock me when he decided to take down this gang he doesn't seem to care much for after they gunned down a guy he genuinely seemed to like. As for getting on the train after the deed is done, he can probably escape at will and then disappear from his outlaw life afterwards, as he wished to do so with the bartender he seduces early in the movie. He did call for his horse immediately after getting on the train, and it gallops alongside it during the final shot, so this is very likely what had happened. Ben more than likely also did this to force Butterfield to fulfill his deal with Dan (to give Alice $1,000 and to keep the land baron from taking the ranch). Note that we get a clear shot of Butterfield watching Ben get on the train.

Is the '07 film completely realistic or even plausible? Nope! But it is a throwback to the glory days of Westerns, which often dealt strongly with morality and consequence, but with modern action and pacing. I wish more films like this were being made today, but we'll probably only get one good Western every few years now, thanks to modern audiences not being able to accept them at as fast a pace as in the '50s and '60s. So for now, its about quality over quantity. If we get more films like the 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit remakes, it won't be so bad.

I like both films; I just prefer the '07 edition over the '57 take.

Offline The Black Spot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:35:45 AM »
I was hoping for a sequel to this film where Wade escapes and goes back to take care of Bens family. But that wouldnt make much of a movie i guess. 

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 03:41:18 PM »
I was hoping for a sequel to this film where Wade escapes and goes back to take care of Bens family. But that wouldnt make much of a movie i guess. 

It would depend on how many Posse's he had to avoid, shoot outs with other outlaws out to get him and how many towns got destroyed on the journey to Ben's family.

Thinking about the way Hollywood minds do not think, Wade could even run across the Lone Ranger and wreck a few trains.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline The Black Spot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 10:53:35 PM »
It would depend on how many Posse's he had to avoid, shoot outs with other outlaws out to get him and how many towns got destroyed on the journey to Ben's family.

Thinking about the way Hollywood minds do not think, Wade could even run across the Lone Ranger and wreck a few trains.

Now ur talkin! Lol

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 02:48:08 PM »
The '57 version has one of the best lines in all of westerns: One of the posse members says, "My grandma fought Comanches and bandits for 40 years and lived to tell about it. She choked to death on lemon pie."
I never heard a better summation of the sheer chanciness and unpredictability of life.

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »
Original was better.  Remake was too gay (literally speaking as far as Charlie Princess is concerned).

Van Heflin was a lot tougher than Christian Fail.  The hero managed to not get killed unlike the wimpy Christian Fail.  Russell Crowe was good but you just can't top Glen Ford.  And of course, Frankie Lane's theme is noticably absent in the remake

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com