Author Topic: Transfer Bar Broke!  (Read 7299 times)

Offline Doc H

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Transfer Bar Broke!
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:16:45 PM »
Have a Ruger NMV and the transfer bar just snapped off, looks like right at the bend!  New firearm - less than 200 rnds; is this a user-replaceable part or will I need a gunsmith?  Any idea where to get one?  Thanks for any assist...

Doc H.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Transfer Bar Broke!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 10:08:22 PM »
If you know how to take down a Ruger New Vaquero, it's an easy job.  If you don't know how, it isn't.  You can try calling Ruger and see if they'll just mail you one.  Seems like sometimes they do and other times they insist it be sent back for warranty repair.  You can also call Wes Fargo.  When he does a four click conversion he takes the transfer bar out so he has a box of them.  http://cas-town.com/WestFargoGunsmith/index.html

As far as I can tell, no one, other than Ruger, has factory replacement parts for the New Vaquero yet.

Offline Bonesteel Badger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:29:41 AM »
 Had the same thing happen to my NMV about two weeks ago. The transfer bar from Brownells dropped right in and has been working fine (much dry dire, one practice session and one match no problems). The hammers are interchangeable so I thought the transfer bars might be too. Mine broke in the same spot as yours. The new one appeared thinner at the portion that would strike the hammer but I haven't had any issues w/ it. Headed for Winter Range soon and my travel pards are all shooting NMVs so I ordered 3 just to be sure ; )  BB

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:05:22 AM »

Offline Doc H

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 06:59:47 PM »
Thanks all!  Ruger is mailing one and got one from Brownells too.  Have an OM Blackhawk and have owned several Rugers; can field-strip a 1911 down to the ground but haven't completely dismantled a SAA; expect I can handle it if the part is drop-in or even needs minor filing.  Bummed that the part broke; the metal almost looks like MIM - since this is THE part that takes all the whacking, you'd think would be forged barstock; previous Rugers have been bullet-proof (pardon the pun), and never had to replace a part... :-\

Offline Doc H

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:29:21 PM »
Brownells dropped in; haven't fired yet but looks like it will work - it does seem a bit thinner but activates the FP enough.  Ruger is sending one too; hope I don't need to change 'em out every couple hundred rounds; definitely USFA next - used a friends for awhile and it's a great revolver; don't need an extra piece of metal clanging around that is potentially unreliable, a la transfer bar...

Offline Doc H

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 07:40:19 PM »
Post-range test with the stock transfer bar from Brownells on a NV:  one misfire in a box of 50 that COULD have been a light primer strike, but may try again this weekend.  Couldn't get the dud to fire with repeated strikes, so may have been a dud anyway...we shall see...

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:30:26 PM »
Brownells dropped in; haven't fired yet but looks like it will work - it does seem a bit thinner but activates the FP enough.  Ruger is sending one too; hope I don't need to change 'em out every couple hundred rounds; definitely USFA next - used a friends for awhile and it's a great revolver; don't need an extra piece of metal clanging around that is potentially unreliable, a la transfer bar...
Howdy Doc

You know all these six shooters have parts break at times, I own some of all of them, and the Ruger is still the most reliable single action there is, it's built to be strong and safe, I've had more parts break on my 1873 colts and there clones than any of my Rugers, I like all my six guns, and I use them all, but the Rugers are without a doubt the strongest and safest, and most reliable of them all.
 just my nickel's worth.

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Doc H

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 09:16:44 AM »
Replaced the Brownells part with the one Ruger sent; definitely weaker at the junction (bend) of the bar/striker area, with less metal, and it LOOKS like a design waiting to fail.  The advantage of the Ruger bar is that is has a "lip" of metal where the hammer strikes the bar, increasing the positive area of impact on the FP.  I would guess this is to make sure the FP goes all the way forward when struck; it does seem to increase the depth of the dimple in the primer, and I had no failures to fire yesterday at the range.  I may learn to live with it <sigh>.  Relatively easy to replace, but I'll be more than peeved if this one doesn't last several thousand rounds.  Do understand the concept of breakage (I come from a mostly 1911 world!).  I guess I'm just used to beefier Rugers; my two Blackhawks in .44 mag and .357 mag have lasted more than 30 years with nothing replaced but grips.  One thing I'm already peeved about is that Ruger doesn't have an online store with every possible replacement part listed (USFA does), but maybe that's expecting too much.  I may become a RAT after all when I play with the NV a little more; it's one of the most accurate SAs I've ever fired, and sure looks purty (JW Commemorative, replaced the stock grips w/Tru-Ivory)...   ::)

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 11:33:08 AM »
Replaced the Brownells part with the one Ruger sent; definitely weaker at the junction (bend) of the bar/striker area, with less metal, and it LOOKS like a design waiting to fail.  The advantage of the Ruger bar is that is has a "lip" of metal where the hammer strikes the bar, increasing the positive area of impact on the FP.  I would guess this is to make sure the FP goes all the way forward when struck; it does seem to increase the depth of the dimple in the primer, and I had no failures to fire yesterday at the range.  I may learn to live with it <sigh>.  Relatively easy to replace, but I'll be more than peeved if this one doesn't last several thousand rounds.  Do understand the concept of breakage (I come from a mostly 1911 world!).  I guess I'm just used to beefier Rugers; my two Blackhawks in .44 mag and .357 mag have lasted more than 30 years with nothing replaced but grips.  One thing I'm already peeved about is that Ruger doesn't have an online store with every possible replacement part listed (USAF does), but maybe that's expecting too much.  I may become a RAT after all when I play with the NV a little more; it's one of the most accurate SAs I've ever fired, and sure looks purty (JW Commemorative, replaced the stock grips w/Tru-Ivory)...   ::)

Howdy Doc

I'm glad you got your Vaquero fixed, your right I would like to see Ruger have a parts store also it would be easier getting the right parts when needed, but Brownells does a pretty good job of stocking parts for us, and you know most the parts are for changing the guns to the way we want them , it is very seldom that a Ruger single action will have parts break, they're just about the most reliable single action made, Brownells and Wolff sells lighter springs for those that want them and also increased strength springs, and just about anything else that might go wrong with a Ruger Single action. Enjoy that new JW Vaquero, they're beauty's for sure.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com