Author Topic: Span-Am war guys...please check in  (Read 19370 times)

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Span-Am war guys...please check in
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2016, 08:41:36 PM »
Bat, do you mean you got the uniform from Hessen, or you got the "base uniform" elsewhere and added items from Hessen? If there's another supplier out there, I'd like to check if they make any French gear.

I don't mean to answer for Bat but I know that Hessianantique has a custom option on German uniforms.  I believe that Gavin Militaria does also.  I have not used either vendor.  I did order a few years ago from Hessian and their tunics were ridiculously small.  I wear somewhere between a 44-46L suit coat or jacket and their largest (48) at the time fit like a US 42.
GAF#379

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 08:46:05 PM »
Bat, you posted while I was typing. 

How is the fit...true to size or does it run small?  Large?
GAF#379

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2016, 09:28:30 PM »
Thanks Bat, your China site sure has an unusual variety of things to sell. I've seen the Kliderklasse store on E-bay, some of their French stuff looks "kinda close" and some looks just waaaay wrong. I'm no stitch counter for sure, but-I've looked at a lot of original French uniforms on the net, and never saw any with red jodhpur type pants, like he sells, only regular trousers. His 1897 tunic has some issues too, but the greatcoat may be "close enough" for me, especially since in our climate, it probably wouldn't get worn a lot.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 10:17:46 PM »

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2016, 11:25:18 PM »
Smoke,

He asks for a multitude of body measurements.  Take the time to make those right and you should get good results.  The coat truly fits like a Hong Kong tailor made it to measure for me.  I don't have any room to expand, but the coat fits like a glove.   I also bought some trousers from him and those believe it or not, arrived a little big in the waist.  I didn't bother to send them back, I had them altered locally.

Pony,

The light blue 1915 Infantry uniforms look very close to what I recall of the WW I photos and documentaries.  I didn't take the time to look up any uniform photos for comparison and would do more research before I bought anything, but they look very good.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2016, 04:13:46 AM »
I highly suggest that if you want a French uniform to watch eBay. Old Great War Militaria uniforms pop up on a regular basis on there. In my opinion, no one has mat he'd that quality since 1918. GWM by far used the best quality materials and the patterns were the best.

As for Imperial German uniforms and equipment, I have owned or currently own uniforms for all of the players in the game. Again, if you want quality and accuracy, there are only a couple options. Old GWM made uniforms or Lost Battalions, who is now continuing GWM's line of Imperial German uniforms.

If you want accurate uniforms those are the two options. I have recut and tailored several of the Chinese uniforms to get a better fit. Some are good, others are complete trash. I would shy away from any of the Spearhead (Barry Lyndon) or Kleiderklasse stuff. Their wool is terrible and the patterns are typically wonky. If you are over 5'11", forget it. They do not comprehend height and girth. They will just send you a larger chest and waist to compensate.

I've been playing Imperial German since '03. There is not much I have not owned, seen or handled in the hobby.

I love the French stuff too, awesome uniforms and equipment. Been to France several times and I was always treated very well, even better than in Germany.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2016, 02:08:06 PM »
I would shy away from any of the Spearhead (Barry Lyndon) or Kleiderklasse stuff. Their wool is terrible and the patterns are typically wonky.

I knew their stuff wasn't really accurate, I asked Patrick/1886Lebel his opinion of something from him once, and got an earful(page full?) But then, he wouldn't allow his unit to use Schipperfabrik gear either, so I figured maybe he was a bit on the picky side, or perhaps something personal with him and Schipper.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2016, 04:03:07 PM »
I knew their stuff wasn't really accurate, I asked Patrick/1886Lebel his opinion of something from him once, and got an earful(page full?) But then, he wouldn't allow his unit to use Schipperfabrik gear either, so I figured maybe he was a bit on the picky side, or perhaps something personal with him and Schipper.

Patrick is a bit prickley about many things....at least online.  I don't know if that is just how he comes across online or that is him.  To be fair, he is a top French collector.  IIRC he has written or collaborated on some first class references on WW1 French weapons/gear. 
GAF#379

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2016, 05:53:12 PM »
Now that Schipper has bee bought out by Luke at Man the Line I expect service will improve. Paul and Heather Schipper are nice to folks who are thier friends but they had a very rough style of customer service. Sadly Luke has not gotten the French stuff he got from them on his website yet. As it stands there is no real source for Repro french gear out there.

I've been working on a French impression for our WWI days in Rockford IL (Coming up in 2 weeks http://dmitchell1223.wix.com/rockford-ww1) because there are not enough French in the field. I built an early war kit  and a later war kit and I plan to lend them out to guys who do US who really can only participate in VERY late war battles. Spearhead Militaria makes passable French uniforms but they are really good for Entry Level only. For me they make good loaner and starter gear. My solution has been to make all the French leather gear for the uniforms since there is not readily available.

As far as 1 stop shops goes for WWI German Hessen Antique is your best bet. You can purchase everything you need from them. There is higher quality out there but their stuff is quite good. I personally have an old second-hand GWM Feldbluse that I bought from Grenadier. It is extremely nice. If you have time then hunting for second hand uniforms and gear (Including some useable originals)  is the way to go. 
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2016, 06:12:03 PM »
By the way, since we are totally sidetracked and talking about WWI here is a video of the tank we built.

For those of you on facebook here is another video where I was interviewed about the tank we built.

Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2016, 06:35:43 PM »
You win the internet for the day. :o 8)

GAF#379

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2016, 09:12:48 PM »
By the way, since we are totally sidetracked

Thread drift" keeps things from getting boring!
Glad to hear read from you, it's been a while! Mostly I'm looking for the older dark and "iron blue" stuff, I already have my leather gear, from Schipper a couple of years ago. Spearhead just calls all their blue wool "Iron blue" but it really just looks more like re-purposed US Federal Blue wool. But for GAF use, since we're not the stitch counters that some of the reenactors are, I've also considered making my own, but from cotton, considering that Nebraska is a bit warmer than France....

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2016, 08:25:09 AM »
No wonder you've been scarce here!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2016, 08:55:07 AM »
I'm glad you like it. Essentially it was built by myself and one other guy. We worked darned near every day for 6 weeks. We took off working for Christmas eve and day and new year's eve and day. On the weekends we got lots of help from other who could come over an do simple tasks like drilling holes, tightening bolts, cutting material, or painting. It was loads of fun!
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com