Author Topic: A Historical Perspective on Primer Prices  (Read 997 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
A Historical Perspective on Primer Prices
« on: December 31, 2021, 03:28:42 PM »
I recently came across two references to the costs of primers from years past and they helped me put current costs into perspective.

The first was from a book about buffalo hunters in the 1870s. There was a receipt of items purchased from Zimmermann's store in Dodge City dated October 1, 1874. Among the items purchased was 1500 primers for $5.25. That works out to be $3.50 per 1000. Using an inflation calculator, that equals about $85.33 in 2021 dollars. A factor in that cost may be the fact that Dodge City was on the frontier at that time and costs were likely higher there than the east coast.

The second reference I encountered was in a book by Townsend Whelen. It gave the approximate cost of primers in 1940 as being $3.80 per thousand. Adjusting for inflation, that works out to be about $75.44 in 2021 dollars. Prices in 1940 might have been high because of the prelude to war, but that's a guess on my part.

There are more factors besides inflation and I can't say how accurate the inflation calculator that I use is, but it helps put things into perspective for me. Maybe things aren't so bad right now; they could be worse. I do still long for the days of $20 (or less) cartons of primers...

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
Re: A Historical Perspective on Primer Prices
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 03:40:01 PM »
It does sort of put things in perspective, but doesn't really explain why primers were readily available just about anywhere for $30 to $35 per thousand, and then the price jumped to $80 per thousand, but are NOT available.

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 03:57:01 AM »
Thats because youtubers who shoot frozen pork heads with 10 gauges dont know of the days of 20$ cases of primers.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:15:07 PM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 08:09:48 AM »
Until cases of primers are sitting on midway usa’s shelves unsold or they’re sitting in the manufacturer’s warehouses gathering dust the cost will not come down. But you know as well as I that if they were suddenly available for 50.00 /brick every reloader would raid his piggy bank or get a loan and buy every darn case they could and we’ed be asking ‘where did they go’ again. So when every man or woman who reloads in America has a lifetime supply of primers, bullets and powder then the prices will drop. That’s a lot of components. Shooting one 150 rd cas match a month and some practice I have about 5 year’s worth and I’m 70. I would like to add a monthly 200 rd zombie match in 2022 so that will cut my primer supply timeline by about half. Of course this is assuming that I never restock.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 10:48:01 AM »
 :)  PLUS ONE for Biltmore  :D

I'm a little past "70" though.  But I would like to think I have a relative "lifetime" supply of components.  That is depending on how much longer I am able to play.  I would still be really happy to see lots more on the shelves.

I would not however, expect prices to come back down to pre shortage prices.  Just not gonna happen.  I'd like Disney to bring back the "E" ticket too.  That ain't gonna happen either. (Sigh)

Play Safe Out There

OOPS:  Almost forgot.  HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody!!!

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 12:16:09 PM »
Until cases of primers are sitting on midway usa’s shelves unsold or they’re sitting in the manufacturer’s warehouses gathering dust the cost will not come down. But you know as well as I that if they were suddenly available for 50.00 /brick every reloader would raid his piggy bank or get a loan and buy every darn case they could and we’ed be asking ‘where did they go’ again. So when every man or woman who reloads in America has a lifetime supply of primers, bullets and powder then the prices will drop. That’s a lot of components. Shooting one 150 rd cas match a month and some practice I have about 5 year’s worth and I’m 70. I would like to add a monthly 200 rd zombie match in 2022 so that will cut my primer supply timeline by about half. Of course this is assuming that I never restock.

Same age as me, but my goal is to accumulate enough components to last until I just don't care anymore, so I will be buying primers as they become available.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com