Author Topic: Capt. Schaeffer Custom Colt Replica --- PART III - Range Report  (Read 20085 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Capt. Schaeffer Custom Colt Replica --- PART III - Range Report
« on: September 22, 2016, 07:34:27 PM »
Were BACK!!  Back by POPULAR demand.  Or, curious request, or ... maybe ..... just 'cause.

In a previous episode, outlined was the anticipated rubbin-n-buffin and fiddlin I/We anticipated the guns would need.  They are after all, Pietta built guns and have the usual "needs" to make them ready for serious CAS use.

Crow Choker!!  Here it is - The Results.

Week and some ago, my pair of Capt. Schaeffer Replicas went to their first CAS match.  First thing I discovered, they shoot POA/POI.  All be leaving those silly little post front sights alone (can't believe I said that, curses .... foiled again).  I was able to shoot the match CLEAN with no hiccups nor bobbles.  The guns ran the match like a pair of Rolex.  Looked the part too.  These are really NICE guns.  I can't complain at all.  Although, they don't qualify as SNUBBIES.  Drat the luck.  Everybody wanted to know How I could shoot em, 'cause the barrels were soooooo long.  4inch barrels takes em out of "Snubbie" class.  And, as well as they point and shoot, I'm gonna leave em unmolested (did "I" really say that???).  Needless to say, I really like em.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Ya gotta check out Major 2's replica of Capt. Schaeffer's holster.  PURE CLASS!!!!

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Capt. Schaeffer Custom Colt Replica --- PART III - Range Report
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 08:18:43 AM »
Sounds good Coffinmaker, glad they're workin out for ya and a joy to shoot. Here's anudder curiosity for ya to consider replyin to. Did ya lighten up the powder charge any in those 36 caliber fireballs any from what you would have if you were loading a longer barrel length 36 cal Navy shootin iron? Just wonderin. If ya didn't, how was the muzzle flash compared to a 51 Navy with a longer pipe on it? Good report.

Also enjoyed also readin your Mx ya did to them after receiving them. I've gotten so when ever I get any blackpowder shootin Uberti/Pietta made gun, instead of shootin a bunch of rounds through them to break em in, I take em apart pretty quick and sand, stone, adjust any/all nasties out of them. Might void any maker/importer warranties, but can' tolerate shootin something with noticeable grittiness, bad timing, etc. If something is really out of sync, I'll send/take them back before I start monkeying around with em.'  Good day to ya!!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 11:27:19 AM »
there you go
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
Hey Crow Choker,

Well .... Darn.  Don't really know how to answer that technically.  I don't actually know what my Powder Charge is  :o  In ALL my .36 guns I shoot Dick Dastardly's EPP-UG-36 bullets as opposed to round Ball.  I also shoot APP.  No Lube needed so I shoot the UG-36 as cast.  In ALL the .36s, I first figure out how deep the bullet will seat with about 1/8th inch "freeboard" from the nose of the bullet to the face of the cylinder, to allow a little leeway for possible "back-out." (Haven't had any back-out yet)  Then I load enough APP to reach the base of the bullet with ZERO compression.  I load 3f.

I discovered, with 2f and Round Ball I was being called "misses" for hits because the Stupid (in the case) spotters weren't pay9ing attention and complained they (stupid spotters) couldn't "hear" the hits.  The EPP-UG-36 is 10Gr heavier than a Round Ball and with the added velocity of 3f, makes a nice "KLANG" on impact.

I don't know if it's a bigger "Fireball" as I'm behind the gun.  From behind the gun, I've never been able to actually see the fireball, whether with BP or APP.  The boys and girls off to the side can, but I have never asked.  I can confirm I do get an impressive great cloud of gun smoke.  Lots of smoke.  APP makes Lots and Lots of smoke.  36s are super fun to shoot.  Even with 3f, recoil is a non-issue and as near as I can tell, next to no muzzle flip.  This afternoon I'll go weigh the powder charge, just for the sake of information here.  I really don't care.  Goes BOOMBA - KLANG  ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »
Hey Crow Choker!!

Got it.  Went downstairs and threw a charge of 3f in the Beam Scale.  I'm currently shooting 18Gr of 3f APP.  And, by measurement, I'm also getting just a smidgeon of compression.  Good CAS load for the EPP-UG-36 though.  I could go a bit lighter but I'm not in the mood to go whacking on my scoop (45 ACP case on a wire).

Coffinmaker

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 04:56:57 PM »
Well thank ye kindly for the info. 18 grains (FFF Goex) is about what I shoot in my two 36's (51 and 61 Navy's. Believe it's actually 20 grains if the spout on the flask is filled each time to its max capacity. But---when loading on the 'fly' just tipping the flask, holding a finger on the end of the spout, and moving the lever, sometimes a little less than max gets dumped into the chambers. Mostly due to the fleshy part of the finger sinking  a little bit into the spout. Don't worry about it as I'm not shooting 1" groups anyway, be nice, but ain't gonna happen with a cap aand ball. Use .380 round balls in case yer wondering, know you ain't, so guess it's a mote point. Just thought my fingers needed a little excercisin' on the keyboard. ;D ;D

I have noticed as you pointed out that I see more of a 'fireball' when someone else is shooting, rather than myself. Exception is at night. When a LEO, I took my 51 Navy 44 out during a night shoot qualification shoot, and unleased it for the first six rounds during a practice (non point qualification round) and it produced 'shock and awe'. My chief, who was also a state registered firearm qualification officer, stopped the shoot and came flying off his perch to see what the 'H" had just occurred. Guys shooting next to me complained their night vison went to 'H' and couldn't see the target due to smoke and the fireballs. That incident came up for a lot of years when subjects of "remember when" came up. Everyone thought it was neat, but startled the 'H' out of everyone. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Major 2: Nice lookin holster! Looks like something you'd stuff inside yer belt or under a frock coat for a fancy meal at yer favorite eatin establishment.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 08:05:45 PM »
Coffin's Robert guns ....thats BOBBED for SHORT !

He calls them the Gamblers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 08:42:44 PM »
NOW!!  Those be "Belly Guns"  :o ;D  Or ..... Across a Card Table Guns.  Some ...... SHORT!!

Coffinmaker

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 07:16:15 PM »
Fun

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 07:13:32 PM »
Serious ... FUN

Offline pistol1911

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 05:01:42 AM »
I called EMF  on Monday the 13th of March to order a Captain Schaeffer. I was told they were sold out, but they would put me on a waiting list. Surprise they called back and said they had found me one. It is scheduled to be delivered today.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 05:21:03 AM »
you will be quite pleased....

I have been remiss in mine ....as soon as I got it , I fondled but did not turn, sent it off to the master plumber, the maker of coffins.
The very next morning after it's return....I took it to shoot steel.....  :D

ran like Swiss watch ..... however, since that fine outing.... :(  I have not  ::)....Oh! I took solace , going and shooting other cartridge guns...
I have just not  shot any C&B in a while .... THAT MUST BE RECTIFIED ! ......

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 08:45:30 AM »
Harrumpff!!

Coffinmaker

Offline pistol1911

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 02:05:57 PM »
Received the Capt. Schaeffer . After checking it out I am super pleased. It has a CS0085 serial number which I don't quite understand.
Where can I get a right hand cross draw holster?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 04:14:22 PM »
Harrumpff!!

Coffinmaker

Guilty as charged  :(

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 03:25:43 PM »
An addendum.  Or .... Up date if you will.  Maybe just additional POOP.

Shot my first match for this season yesterday.  The weather lady on Friday LIED through her teeth.  It was NOT warm.  It were KOOLD!!
I were not happy.  I don't do well with cold.  Anyway ..........

Decided it was time to haul out the Capt. Scheaffer(s) for another match.  Oh man do I ever like these guns.  they are just sooooooooo comfortable to shoot.  Shot the match clean and with the EPP UG - 36 bullets had no problems with the spotters calling missed targets.  Was altogether a really great day.  Did I mention I really like these guns??  Did I??  Huh??

Try em.  You'll like em.

Coffinmaker

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 08:07:29 PM »
Had mine out today ....no match, just for the fun of plinking .... ;D

1st. Class Mike.... :D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 03:44:55 PM »
Wild Blue Yonder

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 02:20:30 PM »
Uppity Up ;)

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 11:29:29 AM »
Ordered a pair (one for each hand) and am patiently waiting for delivery. Well not too patiently but I find solace in shooting my snubbies and a pair of 1861 Navy Colts just to get in practice for .36 caliber shooting
Bunk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com