Author Topic: Rookie review of Henry Big Boy  (Read 19712 times)

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rookie review of Henry Big Boy
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 02:38:16 PM »
I had a Henry Big Boy in .44 mag. It was actually a really nice gun, very well put together, smooth as silk action. True, it I tried to race run it I had issues, but that was running it faster than I should have. I ultimately just got rid of it because it was so darned heavy. Got myself a Rossi 92 carbine instead.

If I was going to judge a person it wouldn't be by the guns they use so much as how they use them, but in the end I don't really judge them for either, because I'm not equipped to do so! ;)
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 05:31:54 PM »
Here is a thought (woe it hurtz to think)   :D   Some Lustrum ago, the fish (Marlin) was Poo Poo'd cause it wasn't as "fast" as the '73,
the '66 or even the Henry.  Then came the dreaded (still a problem) Marlin Jam (now, that .. is a Train Wreck) and back then, as now, those in the know (Know-It-Alls) would tell you in a heartbeat if you did't have a Toggle Link rifle, smithed to the nines, you simply couldn't play.  Hoo boy, and for you if you were stuck with a '92.  Where waz I.  Oh yea.

Now just go pull a brandy knew Uberti reproduction Toggle Link Rifle, or new Moruko (spell??) out of the box and try and go fast with it.  I get to peddle the Peanuts and Popcorn.  After you spring (pun) for a new Toggle Link Gun you gonna be looking for some after-market springs.  First, to make it more user friendly and second to keep it from wearing itself out.  Then .... then .... Along came Jones ........ those in the know will tell ya you gotta short stroke it.  I use to make a pretty good living doing that (I retired).  So whatz my POINT!!

It matters not one bit what new iron you pull out of the box, it WILL need some work.  The first thing that is necessary is to get rid of those horrible truck springs.  That alone will amaze.  I always lit my customers know, the biggest bang for yer buck was a real good action job.  Proper rubbin-n-buffin and changing out the springs.  It is amazing ho fast a Toggle Rifle can run with a stock lever throw after the action is cleaned up.  Same Same with the '92.  At one time the Go-To rifle for CAS was a clean'd up '92.  Lots of EOT and Winter Range were won with '92s.

Now .. I honestly don't know what can be done with a Big Boy.  Be interesting to take one apart and piddle with it.  Just hasn't ben any interest in doing that.  Doesn't mean you can't bring it out to play and have fun with one.  Just think for a second (I know, .... it hurts), but the faster you run a stage, the less time you get to play.  I kind of like having gotten more "seasoned" and some slower.  I get to play longer!!  Think about it.

Coffinmaker

Soap Box Mode OFF >>>> Regular Programming ON

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 04:13:55 PM »
True, but the average joe on the street also thinks cowboys wear Wrangler jeans, shirts with pearl buttons, pointy-toed cowboy boots, an oilskin duster, and a Stetson Cattleman.
Where and when (late 50's early 60's) I grew up at any Saturday nite dance if you were not wearing those things you were considered to be either a sheep herder or worse a "towny". And the cowboys outnumbered the rest by at least 2-1.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:36:36 PM »

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »
I shoot a 66 in 44 special with BP most of the time now.
I always have been and always will be a 92 Man .
But BP clean up in a 92 is a pain in the Ars .

I have a Henry 1860 a Winchester 1866 a Winchester 1873  Three 1892's  Two 1894's Two Marlins 19894's and a Henry Big Boy .
Everyone needed spring work out of the box to run with any speed at all .

I say play your game anyway you want to play it .
With what ever tickles your fancy .

I have Rugers , Colt 1873's Colt 1860,s Colt Open Tops  Sheriff model guns and 8" guns with any combo in between .
Play with what you brung !

Just sayin
Rooster
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline CurlyDrew42

• Liberal Gunslinger
  • Active citizen
    • Entropy Fable
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 06:26:03 PM »
I picked up an HRA Big Boy in 357/38 and it is fun to shoot no doubt about it.  I am sure I will eventually get a 66, a 73 and a 94 but I am in no way unhappy with my choice.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 09:40:13 PM »
... I am sure I will eventually get a 66, a 73 and a 94 but I am in no way unhappy with my choice.

Maybe you typo'd when you said "94" and meant '92, or perhaps you meant Marlin '94.  The Winchester '94 is about the worst choice for CAS.  I don't care for the Big Boy, but would prefer one of those over a '94  :)

Offline CurlyDrew42

• Liberal Gunslinger
  • Active citizen
    • Entropy Fable
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 01:03:02 AM »
Maybe you typo'd when you said "94" and meant '92, or perhaps you meant Marlin '94.  The Winchester '94 is about the worst choice for CAS.  I don't care for the Big Boy, but would prefer one of those over a '94  :)

Ha! Yes I do want a JM stamped Marlin 94.  If Rossi ever kicks out more of their 92s in the longer barrel I would happily get one of those too.  The 66 and 73 I want are both Uberti.  I am not hot on the Winchester name, just the design :)
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 09:03:49 AM »
I have a HBB in .357/.38.  I used it as a CAS gun and it worked flawlessly.  I now use a Uberti 73 in .357/.38 but, I still have the HBB as a backup and plinker.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2018, 07:34:12 AM »
My brother had one that was actually a fine shooting gun for plinking and things like that. You just can't hot rod it.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com