Author Topic: Happy Independence Day Everyone,  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Happy Independence Day Everyone,
« on: July 03, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »
My daughter is wearing a poppy necklace in honor of the fallen of Flanders Fields. It has also been adopted as a symbol of our own fallen so that they may not be forgotten. When asked why she wears this, her reply is “…to give honor, regardless how small to those who lost so much in order for us to keep the freedom’s we were born with.”

For me, this holiday has a personal meaning that accompanies my love of country. My ancestor, John Adams stood among the other founding fathers who took up the mantle of creating a new nation. They knew that if they failed, they would likely meet a traitor’s fate. When the Declaration was signed, this fledgling Nation was losing the war against an army that was greater and better trained.  It was not an easy fight.  The British troops were not a company of comedic poltroons, but of brave and capable men devoted to country and empire.  More patriots died in battle than did their foe.  Perhaps, more remarkable than America’s ability to forge key alliances and win their independence was in its ability to maintain cohesion despite disastrous defeats time and time again in the dark early years of struggle.

To my British cousins, I share the good tidings of this holiday because of our shared roots.  We have family ties that were able to mend despite the interruption of two wars. Since then, our armies and people came to stand shoulder to shoulder and back to back whenever great evils rose to cast their shadows over the earth.  Despite the imperfections we as the nations of men may have, it is our quest as Americans to always see how injustice may be rectified, and how we may be better in our stewardship over that which may be improved. It will be an eternal task but may we always have the fortitude to take it up. My thoughts are with the free and the brave; my prayers are with the sleeping heroes and the families who bear their loss. My gratitude is for a free nation and the responsibility of freedom which may be the one and only common bond that 300 million brothers and sisters get to share.

Happy 4th of July

Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Happy Independence Day Everyone,
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 04:52:25 PM »
Well said, Dave! 
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline steve.lobo

• Lobo
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 05:25:28 PM »
Well said David, respect to you and your daughter.
Wa'l Mr Carpetbagger, we got summit in this territory called a Misouri boat ride.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:58:11 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »
Stars and Stripes Forever!!

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 06:06:14 AM »
Thank you Dave, very nicely said.

I did some shopping today... and wished the tellers I spoke with a Happy Birthday. They were confused until I reminded them that the 4th of July was considered the American Nations National Birthday.
I have always been surprised at how few folks think of July 4th as "our" national birthday.

Happy Birthday America!

My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk