Author Topic: Anyone Using A Uberti Cattleman in 44 Special?  (Read 4692 times)

Offline 44caliberkid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone Using A Uberti Cattleman in 44 Special?
« on: October 02, 2019, 04:49:51 PM »
I'm considering getting a new Uberti SAA in 44 Special, 4 3/4 inch barrel. Either from Taylor's or Cimarron.   Can anyone who has them tell me if they're accurate, correct specs, shoot well?

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: Anyone Using A Uberti Cattleman in 44 Special?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 01:36:08 AM »
I shoot a pair of 2005 production Old Models with BP frame from Uberti.
They left the factory with 7,5" barrels but I had them cut to 5,5" because I use them regularly in CAS since 2008.
The lawyer safety was removed.
As for ammo I shoot exclusively .44 Colt with nitro loads.
They never let me down.
Even with these shortened barrels they are extremely accurate if I do my part.
I know because I tested them at 150 Yards (!) off hand at a small size steel buffalo.
A pard of mine has another pair from the same batch.
His were left with the factory 7,5" barrels.
Same reliability and accuracy.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 10:45:16 PM »
I'm considering getting a new Uberti SAA in 44 Special, 4 3/4 inch barrel. Either from Taylor's or Cimarron.   Can anyone who has them tell me if they're accurate, correct specs, shoot well?

I'm a huge fan of Colt-style SA revolvers and an even bigger fan of the .44 Special, at this point owning six of them, and I'm NOT a collector, I'm a shooter. Of those five, three are Uberti's.

The first I obtained several years ago when I decided to try CAS. It was made for Cabela's chambered, in 44-40, and has a 4 3/4" barrel. I don't recall the date code on it, but it was made in the middle '90's. I subsequently fitted a new cylinder to it and I'd say it's probably my favorite handgun, period. It was the first revolver I ever tried for deer hunting, quite successfully I might add. It is plenty accurate to 50 yds. and I actually took a buck and a sow at nearly that range.

The second is a 5 1/2" Cimarron Model P I bought new about 6 years ago. Being a Model P, it came with the tiny V rear sights and the tapered front sight. I had a machinist mill the rear sight open to 1/8" and I installed a new thick blade front sight. It too is quite accurate.

The last is a 7 1/2" Uberti Flat Top I got from Dixie Gun Works August of last year. Like the 4 3/4", it came to me as a 44-40, but fitting a .44 Special cylinder to it was simple enough. If there's one thing wrong with it, it's that it came with the damned floating firing pin. I bought a new "standard" trigger and hammer with the block safety, but haven't bothered installing them yet. For a mass produced revolver it is incredibly accurate, and the most accurate Uberti I've ever owned.

I rarely bother shooting this one at 50 yds. anymore, preferring the 75 yd. steel.

Last year I practiced diligently at 75 yds. only to get a shot at a buck standing a little under 40 yds. away which was quite easy.

SO, I highly recommend the Uberti .44 Specials.

CHT

CHT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:23:40 PM »

Offline elisecoen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 02:57:26 AM »
Uberti Cattleman SAA in .44 Mag - helluva of a caliber, and it one nice revolver! However 44 Mag is a bit overkill for home defense. - $450. as a single action revolver it can practically never break or jam. its a classic cowboy 6-shooter too (even though 44 Mag wasn't introduced until the 1950s). it holds 6 shots. you shouldn't need more than that even if a bear broke in.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 08:23:03 AM »

:)  Ah Well, ah, not actually   ;)

However I do occasionally shoot a pair of .44 Suppository Shooters.  They are not however of the Cattleman persuasion.  Open Tops.  Chambered in 44 Special but when on rare occasions that I actually shoot hand held suppository shooters, I load 'em with 44 Russian cases, and APP.  Quite accurate and fun as well.

I am aware this has no bearings (roller bearings??) on the quest of the OP.  Not really related.  No real good additional information but it's Friday Morning and I'm just swilling my AM Coffee.  If public query is issued I will deny all knowledge of shooting suppositories.  Should one and all choose to ignore this missive, I will full well understand as I would probably ignore it myself.  Burma Shave

Hide and Watch

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com