Author Topic: Antiquing "How-To"  (Read 149250 times)

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Antiquing "How-To"
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »
I saw a nicely antiqued Cimarron 1878 shotgun Saturday.  Shooter said he did it with a fast light vinegar wipe. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Lord Eoin MacKenzie

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2014, 03:22:12 PM »
This might be "Off Topic"    I have an older west German made SAA clone with Aluminum Gripframe, trigger guard and ejector houing...Also the previous owner sprayed the entire gun with a flat black paint that lasted until I got home.  I know the gunfight grips have to go, for both groups.
What can I used to strip off the paint without affecting the aluminum pieces?

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2014, 03:55:26 PM »
I did my USFA Rodeo start to finish while watching Monte Walsh last night.  Only a few pauses throw in for refreshements and pee breaks  :o.

Little more white than I originally wanted on the barrel sides.  Spent most of the time on the frame with the gun stripped down.    Only things used were a new B-C Lead & Polishing Cloth (the majority of the effort btw), a tiny bit of JB Bore paste and a few swipes of white wine vinegar, undiluted, which was used very sparingly on a paper towel as a wipe.   The visual effect now is a well worn carbonia blue I think.  More so than a  gun in the white to my eye.  Surprised actually at just how nice it did come out.

either way a lot more authentic than this imo...
and a might purtier

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 03:29:24 PM »

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »
It would Still have the Majority of its Finish & Not look 200 years old.  :o

Ya, imo, there is a lot of speculation in this thread on gun finish.

I own a gun 1911 Colt Bisley that I know its entire history from a new purchase @ Blish-Mize-Silliman hardware in Atchison KS to date.  It has been passed through 4 generations of my family.  Of those 103 years I know exactly where it has been for 70.  It was pampered for that 70.   The majority of the holster wear came between 1913 and 1922 doing Colorado ranch work when a side arm might be required.  But no question, this one was an expensive piece of property that was taken exceptionally good care of.  This was a gentleman's target gun and point of pride.   The purchase was never intended to be a cowboy's everyday range tool.  A couple of hard years, 1942-3 saw the same gun in the holster again on a cow pony.  The owner already 50+.  Game, but city soft and getting a little long in the tooth to be a cowboy again.  You can compare the results of what 11 years of actual documented holster wear and the elements do to a gun in the photo.  I still have the original holster as well.  I suspect finish damage was at best an equal combination of holster wear and harsh cleaning techniques.  BP cleaning even harder yet on the finish.   

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline willcarter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2014, 11:11:34 AM »
Great idea Marshal. The cheapest and ugliest holster will be transformed into very special tool.
But please don´t try this job with the cylinder in only one  position, unless you want a very funny wearing pattern.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2016, 10:05:45 AM »
Here's my Colt 1911/Essex.The slide is original 1911 with the small sights and correct roll marks with 100 years of wear and tear. The frame is a 70ish Essex. The problem was that they didn't match at all. The frame, slide, small parts sans the bbl and internals were put in a cloth bag with a bunch of screwdriver bits and ball bearings and then shook and rattled for a while. Then I used browning solution. Luckily the old slide and modern frame and bbl were a good fit. It turned out fine and is 100% reliable. The walnut double diamonds are modern but were also distressed by sanding down the points and staining with dark stain and some ink.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »
Mighty fine job and one of the few I've seen that actually match the"real" antique original finish.

Well done, sir.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2016, 03:03:06 PM »
Here's the Colt before.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline ToryBlaker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2022, 02:31:43 AM »
That is a great how-to,  and I used basically the same method when I redid my Uberti Cattleman.  I just had to do something to get rid of that "matte blued" finish!

The only real difference that I did was that I used Flitz polish in the very end.

Here is a pic of the completed Uberti:

great work, you are quite an artist if i may say so :) :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com