Author Topic: Cleaning of pyrodex and triple 7 recommendations  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Kid Rodelo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cleaning of pyrodex and triple 7 recommendations
« on: August 18, 2021, 04:22:24 PM »
I am slowing getting things together to switch to frontier cartridge. That being said I have not been able to find real BP anywhere with out paying too much. I did however find a bottle of triple seven and pyrodex RS. I shoot 45Lc in my pistols and rifle. What methods of cleaning guns and brass has been successful to shooters who have been successful in maintaining there equipment rust and pitt free? Thanks

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cleaning of pyrodex and triple 7 recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 05:04:01 PM »
I would skip the Pyro P or RS entirely. I only use it in the shotgun because it is easy to clean a SXS and I sometimes find Pyro for a song at garage sales or sporting goods stores that are selling used stuff. The PYRO fouling if left unattended in high humidity or moisture will etch, pit or corrode your guns quite quickly. In the desert it is not as big of a problem. For most of the country I would not let it even go overnight.

The 777 will serve you well. You can use standard hard lubes and bullets. The only drawback is if left uncleaned the T7 can corrode the brass but it is not as bad as APP. I use nickeled brass and don't worry about corrosion on fired brass. When I get home from a shoot I rinse the brass til the water comes out clear and is not slippery then dry (in a toaster oven or sun) then tumble before sizing & loading. I sometimes can't get to the cleaning for several days but that has not caused problems. You may want to use a filler (dry fiber wad from Track of the Wolf) or Cream of Wheat in the pistols since a full load of the T7 is quite a thumper. Any water based home brew cleaner with a little detergent works. Then dry patching the barrels & parts before oiling works fine.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 02:16:26 AM »
My Good Kid

I would like to draw your attention to these two links:

here
https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=62409.msg739949#msg739949

and a lengthy discourse here
   Regarding the Cleaning of Guns After the Use of Pyrodex and 777
     ( both of which utilize potassium perchlorate )
https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,56362.0.html

hope this helps
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:49:57 AM »

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 07:52:41 AM »
.45 Colt Black powder cartridges work well in revolvers, but not so well in the rifle. I loaded up 10 cartridges with Goex FFF and loaded my rifle. The first 2 shots hit the mark as intended. The other 8 rounds went somewhere else. I don't know where. No problems in the Uberti single action.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 10:37:53 AM »

:)  K. Rodelo   ;)

Since this be your Thread, you get firsties.  Firstest . . . . Everything you could possibly want to know about Triple 7 and Pyrodex are available in the two PREVIOUS THREADS suggested by the Good Perfesser.  READ THEM.  The Perfesser provides great information READ THE THREADS.

I can only add (at this time), the only adequate, effective method for cleaning Pyrodex:  AS soon as you get the bottle home, remove the lid and seal, take the bottle to the flower bead and use the entire contents as fertilizer.  Triple 7 is close behind.

APP is your best bet for a Substitute.  Easy to clean and requires no lubricants.  Not corrosive in and of itself.  For APP on brass cases, I tote the cases home (dry) in a cartridge bag, then soak for 30 minutes in water and Vinegar (good amount of vinegar), rinse, then dry for an hour in an oven on 180.  Tumble.  Load.

:)  Froogal:  I'd be most interested in the bullet you were using for your .45 Colt rifle ammunition.  Seriously.  ALL my rifles are .45s and I have no problems whatsoever with them digesting tons of BP and APP cartridges.  HOWEVER:  If you are using the WRONG lubricant, or insufficient lubricant, FOULING will result and build up RAPIDLY and really really affect accuracy (A LOT).  The only exception is APP which needs no lube.

Play Safe Out There   

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 12:28:34 PM »
:)  K. Rodelo   ;)

Since this be your Thread, you get firsties.  Firstest . . . . Everything you could possibly want to know about Triple 7 and Pyrodex are available in the two PREVIOUS THREADS suggested by the Good Perfesser.  READ THEM.  The Perfesser provides great information READ THE THREADS.

I can only add (at this time), the only adequate, effective method for cleaning Pyrodex:  AS soon as you get the bottle home, remove the lid and seal, take the bottle to the flower bead and use the entire contents as fertilizer.  Triple 7 is close behind.

APP is your best bet for a Substitute.  Easy to clean and requires no lubricants.  Not corrosive in and of itself.  For APP on brass cases, I tote the cases home (dry) in a cartridge bag, then soak for 30 minutes in water and Vinegar (good amount of vinegar), rinse, then dry for an hour in an oven on 180.  Tumble.  Load.

:)  Froogal:  I'd be most interested in the bullet you were using for your .45 Colt rifle ammunition.  Seriously.  ALL my rifles are .45s and I have no problems whatsoever with them digesting tons of BP and APP cartridges.  HOWEVER:  If you are using the WRONG lubricant, or insufficient lubricant, FOULING will result and build up RAPIDLY and really really affect accuracy (A LOT).  The only exception is APP which needs no lube.

Play Safe Out There

I am using a 200 grain LRNFP, cast from 20-1 lead, lubed with SPG. 25 grains of FFF and 5 grains of cream of wheat. I would like to know your recipe, if you don't mind sharing it.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 12:13:18 PM »
I am using a 200 grain LRNFP, cast from 20-1 lead, lubed with SPG. 25 grains of FFF and 5 grains of cream of wheat. I would like to know your recipe, if you don't mind sharing it.

A case full of black powder, usually 2f in 45 colt or schofield. Big Lube bullets. Big lube bullets are the key factor for consistent accuracy. Can shoot a ten stage two day match without cleaning.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 02:19:53 PM »
A case full of black powder, usually 2f in 45 colt or schofield. Big Lube bullets. Big lube bullets are the key factor for consistent accuracy. Can shoot a ten stage two day match without cleaning.

I have some 2F. IF I had primers, I would load some with just  the 2F. I assume that "big lube" bullets have a deeper lube groove?

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 04:46:04 PM »
I have some 2F. IF I had primers, I would load some with just  the 2F. I assume that "big lube" bullets have a deeper lube groove?

Deep and wide, they pack a lot of lube. 2f or 3f shouldn't really make much difference if you can't shoot one without fouling out you probably won't the other. If you are using SPG my guess is your bullets don't carry enough lube which would explain the short revolver barrel being ok but not the longer in the rifle.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com