Author Topic: Pietta 58s need Treso nipples?  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
Pietta 58s need Treso nipples?
« on: January 20, 2006, 11:01:36 AM »
Haven't started running my Pietta/Cabela's 58s yet, but do most of you end up putting aftermarket nipples in them? If so, I might as well find a couple of sets.

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pietta 58s need Treso nipples?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 03:41:35 PM »
i`ve got 3 cabelas pietta remingtons i shot regularly and have been shooting the factory nipples 3 years now .. no problems ,i think they hold the caps better with age ..... of course remington #10 caps are the only kind i use ....and i can fan`em with them and they won`t fall off . i don`t know if the spare nipples cabelas sells are as good as the factory ones , guess i`ll find out one day .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:09:11 PM »
Like sundance,  All except one of my C&B guns have the factory nipples, and they are holding up very well.  The only ones that I have replaced were on a beater $50 Remington that I got off of Gunbroker.com (that had trashed nipples).  I replaced them with stainless ones from Dixie.

Why replace something before you have too?

John

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:27:07 AM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 12:10:11 AM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Try the gun out with light & heavy loads. Remington #10 caps are what I use on all my guns. If you need to, the CCI#11s are close as is the RWS#1075. Some of my guns thake the RWS and others take the CCI but ALL take the Rem#10. I have a lot of Uncle Mikes nipplew in my guns. If the nipples vary in size THEN replace them 'cause you'll go nuts trying to match different caps for different nipples. If only ONE nipple is off sized then let it be the open/unloaded chamber. If you need nipples, get them at Thunder Ridge Muzzleloading supply. The stainless nipples are like the old Uncle Mikes/Butler Creek replacement nipples. The Treso nipples are a little better but a little longer. Both makes take the Rem#10 cap. The factory nipples generally have larger flash holes and you can get more blowback of the hammer leading to cap jams. This is a bigger problem for Colts but happes with remingtons too. My Uberti Remmies have factory stock nipples and they handle all level of loads up to 30grs under a 200gr conical.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 01:58:21 AM »
Thanks, boys. I'll just shoot the stock item and see what happens. Just got an order of the Holy Black and plan to run Goex FFFg in the 58s under .545 Speer balls. Wiill report.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com