Author Topic: Endorsement  (Read 8884 times)

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Endorsement
« on: October 13, 2005, 08:03:44 PM »
Howdy

When I got started shooting CAS, I bought whatever leather I could get quick and cheap.  A simple set of holsters and a belt from Cabela's and it served me fine.  I've experimented with different hosters as I have gone along, to see what I like and dont like, and various pieces of equipment to go along with it.  I saw several rigs I liked, but nothing that seemed to really suit me, until I was lookin at the pictures on the SCORRS website of the rig Clint wore in the Pale Rider movie.  I shoot one of my '58s as a cap n ball, and those loops for the extra cylinders were just what I wanted.  Plus the look was right on.  So as a temporary measure I made my own cylinder holster out of a speed loader holder and started hunting for a belt.  Only no one made it.  I couldnt even find anything CLOSE to that belt.  I figured there's enough cap n ball shooters out there that someone would make a belt with the extra cylinder loops, but I figured wrong.  I had to go custom.

Then I heard folks talkin about Don Barnett (GrouchyOldBear) and his Liberty Leather shop.  I sent him the pictures of the belt Clint wore in that movie, and over the weekend he worked up a blank with workable cylinder loops.  Amazing how easy it was for him.  I did get put off a couple weeks by Hurricane Rita, but as soon as he had power he was back in the shop and picked up where he left off. 

Now I have to say, for just a simple belt it really is amazing.  I feel like a kid at Christmas playin with this thing.  A BELT.  Jeeze, good thing he didnt make me holsters too, or I'd be unable to sit down long enough to type.  :)  I'll never be able to buy anything off the shelf again after experiencing Don's custom work.  Heck, now I look at my shabby holsters and I want to replace them too! 

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Endorsement
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 01:53:00 AM »
Yep. I knows the feeling.  Started out the same way with my rig and kinda piece milled it together.  Same as you, quick and cheap!  (Shore did look like somethin' from the Old West done out in the prarie's).  Holsters from the local Bass Pro shop here in Katy (which also has a BP and regular gun department) and an old Buscadero belt I've had fer years.  Took old pant belts and sewed in shotgun loops and so on and so on........

Then I got bitten by the Leather Bug.  Been a seein' all these rigs others had their fer their pride and joys.  So, I dropped the weekly payroll inta my pard's lap, Dirty Foot of C & J Traders, Katy, TX http://www.thecowboyshop.com/, and set him ta work on a custom rig.

Now, I'm no slouch on taken a bit of leather and bein' creative either, but, I ain't no pro either.  If'n ya check My CAS Profile, ya' will see my old rig pictured. (The one I did.)  I'll update it with my new rig and post a few pics here when I git a chance!

SASS # 40582 ~ BOLD H30 ~ RO I & RO II
Texas Regulators, Tomball, TX
Texas Historical Shooting Society, Columbus, TX

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 09:56:34 AM »
I Ben Robbed,
Can ya post a picture of it fer us?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:17:28 AM »

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 03:01:42 PM »
Yep, goin to when I get home tonight.  Didnt have my camera at home last night.  Don said he will have a pic of it up on his website as well, I'm guessin because like me, he's never seen one with cylinder loops before.  What I really like is that he doesnt stitch the bullet loops on the belt, he weaves the strip through cuts in the leather and then wet molds em to the right size and shape for the cartridges.  Then its lined on the inside so it helps it stay put when you cinch it down. 

his website is www.westerngunleather.com

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 08:16:17 PM »
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/reh1069/album?.dir=/5fd9

Not the best photos in the world, but then I aint a photographer so i guess I wont starve.  :) 

Pardon the dirty cylinders, I had to take it out and play a little after work today and havent cleaned em yet.  I didnt get a pic of it, but there's also 10 .45 loops behind the RH holster.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 08:44:02 PM »
Looks good. The Preacher would be proud of that one. ;)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 10:14:41 PM »
Now them's a rig Preacher would be proud ta wear. (An' be jealous of ya ownin' it)  Yer leathersmith did a great job, IBR!

BTW, I see ya got an drop in cylinder in there ;).  Are ya shootin' it with that there brass frame or another pistola ya got? ???

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 12:08:43 PM »
I Ben Robber:  Not the best photos in the world, but then I aint a photographer so i guess I wont starve.

How about letting me post the first picture on the SCORRS web site? That is mighty nice rig you have there.
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 02:38:10 PM »
Now them's a rig Preacher would be proud ta wear. (An' be jealous of ya ownin' it)  Yer leathersmith did a great job, IBR!

BTW, I see ya got an drop in cylinder in there ;).  Are ya shootin' it with that there brass frame or another pistola ya got? ???

No, the replacement cylinder is for the steel frame I have, I already had it tore down for cleaning when I found the camera   ;D

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 02:42:16 PM »
I Ben Robber:  Not the best photos in the world, but then I aint a photographer so i guess I wont starve.

How about letting me post the first picture on the SCORRS web site? That is mighty nice rig you have there.

Sure!  Hopefully before things get swingin again next year I'll have a more "correct" lookin set of holsters, but this pair has been really nice to me.  These were an old pair our TG gave me that had been made for a set of Remmies he owns but doesnt shoot much anymore, and they sure do fit the guns sweet.  Ah who knows, maybe I wont switch lol. 

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 11:37:13 PM »
IBR, I wouldn't change them holsters.  My two cent opinion is that they're perfect already! ;D

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 12:29:44 AM »
I am kinda partial to em.  Plus, unlike new ones, they have some history behind em.  Maybe they'll stay.  They do work real nice with that belt.  You caint see it in the pictures, but the brass studs on the belt even have little stars on em that match the big ones on the holsters.  That was a surprise, but a nice one. 

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 04:38:15 PM »
Cousin I am truly impressed. Now whats the debt on this one? Did you mortage the house and kids?
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 06:06:42 PM »
Actually, Don has some really good prices on his work.  The belt itself, which is a 3" tapered belt that fits my rather ample waistline, with "period correct" woven cartridge loops (10 .45s and 3 cylinder loops) and lining cost me just over 100 bucks with shipping included.  He spaced the .45 loops to be behind where the RH holster would sit, and the 3 cylinder loops just behind a crossdraw holster on the LH side.  He emailed photos for approval before beginning the work, and kept me updated (except for when he had to evacuate from Rita) all along the way. 

This is his "Frontiersman" rig, which was the starting point for mine. 

He'll get just as plain or as fancy as you like, I just happen to prefer clean and simple on my stuff.  I'm not much for engraving.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 09:10:53 AM »
Kewl!

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com