Author Topic: Hand Stitching Leather  (Read 91812 times)

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hand Stitching Leather
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2009, 05:52:13 PM »
Hi all. I've made myself a stitching pony using Chuck's website advice. It's great - but stitching the pipe section of the holster is tough. There doesn't seem to be a good angle at which to clamp the holster. Maybe it'll come with experience.

Skeet, stick a piece of dowel or wood that will fit in the bucket, your pony needs something to grab hold of, this is what I do and it works fine.

Regards

tEN wOLVES   ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2009, 02:59:10 AM »
FWIW - I generally sew most of the the pipe before adding the toe  plug - the rest I just sew up without the pony after inserting the plug. In the old days that was called "lap work" because you held the piece between your knees/thighs while stitching. Since I prepunch my holes (due to arthritis in my hands I can't do the traditional hold two needles and the awl at one time method anymore) and also generally glue my pieces together (except for museum quality repros) I in fact seldom use my pony anymore, but still recommend a pony for most work when you don't have my "problems"............
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2009, 04:37:05 AM »
Thanks 10W and Chuck. That'll solve it for me. Skeet

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 07:37:06 AM »

Offline RollingThunder

• Top Active Citizen
  • RollingThunder
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2009, 08:02:39 AM »
I don't use a pony when I sew. I pre-punch my leather like Chuck mentioned. Works much better for me. Simple enough to set a marker hole even on both sides, and then run a wheel down and punch the holes. If I'm off at all, it's in the initial cut, and easily sanded out and buffed down.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »
Howdy all

I'd like to say one thing about the pony or mule like Ace calls it, Ace made me one a few years ago, it's of the same design of the one Chuck Burrows uses, Ace made this mule to my spec's and it is perfect for me and my height, being 6'4" has always been a problem when it came to things like this, but now I can sew using two needles and both hands, sitting in a comfortable chair and having my work right in front of me in a user friendly position and enjoy sewing, even though my left hand is messed up, it took me a little time to get used to the mule, but for me this is the best thing that has happened to me in a long time, it has cut my sewing time down at least 50%, and my back and neck aren't soar and hurting when I'm finished, like I said being tall can have its disadvantages, but thanks to this mule Ace made me, it has leveled the playing field so to speak, I also fine that prepunching my holes works best for me too, using a piece of dowel or piece of wood that fits in the bucket of the holster gives my mule something to grab on to, so that I don't have to flatten the holster out in order to do my sewing, even though there is a wide opening beneath the jaws it is some times not enough to be able to grab your work , so the dowel or wood helps greatly with this.

Regards

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2009, 04:00:06 AM »
Marshal Will, what's the website for the Hungarian linen thread? Barbour's is expensive and (I think) the company has ceased to exist.

Maybe you've posted it somewhere and I've missed it.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »
Marshal Will, what's the website for the Hungarian linen thread? Barbour's is expensive and (I think) the company has ceased to exist.

Maybe you've posted it somewhere and I've missed it.

Howdy Skeeter

I just got some Barbour's 5 strand linen thread  from these people, Cambell Bosworth   http://www.campbell-bosworth.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/6_71_73   check out this link and I'm sure you will find something to suit you

I also got some Pine Pitch and Bees Wax from Jas Townsend at   http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?products_id=373

Chuck Burrows and Will Ghromely posted this information, Thanks Pards for keeping us informed

Hope this helps Skeeter

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Offline saddler

• Active citizen
    • Moore Leather
  • Liked:
Re: hand stitching thread
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2009, 12:06:54 PM »
Anyone use an awl manufactured by other than Osborne or Tandy?

Dixon, an English maker (same firm has been making leather tools for about 200 years or so - they also made cartridge reloading tools in the 19th century)

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »
Thanks, 10 W. Skeet

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2009, 08:28:47 PM »
I see you got the information you need, Skeeter. I bought my thread from Campbell-Bosworth as TW posted in the first link. I haven't tried it yet because I need to finish my other thread, but it's sitting on the bench waiting to be used.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2009, 04:05:29 AM »
Thanks, guys. I hadn't realised the Hungarian thread came from Campbell Bosworth too. Skeet

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2009, 10:19:14 PM »
Howdy saddler,

The same Dixon that made so many powder flasks??
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline saddler

• Active citizen
    • Moore Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
Howdy saddler,

The same Dixon that made so many powder flasks??

Yes, the same...though I haven't approached them directly to confirm, they are in the same town as the powder flask Dixon

Most other British companies of the period have gone now - a few Sheffield knifemakers are still trading (some from the same premises as in the 1800's)

Put it in perspective - one of the tanneries I get my leather from has been in the same street since about 1850: one of their suppliers started business in 1600

I can easily check if its the same people, but the old cartridge tools I have seem to bear the same maker trademark in the same type-face, etc.

Jon

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »
Howdy All

I just recently decided to try the thread that Chuck Burrows likes to use, the Barbours Linen, 5 cord left twist in natural white and the Bees Wax & Pine Pitch rendered and blended together as a wax for my thread, I followed Little Al's instructional information on the best way to make the bees wax and pine pitch blend, and it worked out great, Thanks Little Al, I have to say this is the finest thread I've used yet, and I can see why Chuck Burrows likes it so well, I also used Marshal Will's suggestion of dragging the wax down from the both needles to the center, I gave each side about 6 strokes each, that made since to me, and the thread seemed to pass through the leather much more smoothly, this wax and pine pitch is nice to work with, and like what was said it smells good too, I like the look of this thread too, it presents its self real well after being stitched. And a special thanks to CowboyWC, for turning me on to the Stitching Chisel.

So thanks Chuck,Little Al, Marshal Will and CowboyWC for this good information

Best Regards

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2009, 09:03:28 PM »
That's cool, TW. I haven't tried the blend yet. I'll have to get going with that. I guess I'll need to order some pitch to use for that.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2009, 11:57:44 PM »
I'm wondering with so manmy people blending wax and pitch, does someone has some they'd be willing to sell to a pard who doesn'tr sew a lot? Also, I wonder what stitching chisel 10 Wolves is talking about? I've got all the chisels Tandy sells, so is it something besides those?

Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks guys, JD

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »
I've gone over to Barbour's thread - and there's no going back to the Tandy thread. It is just so much better. At the moment I'm using straight beeswax but I'd like to try Chuck's pitch pine idea. Is it half-and-half pine tar and beeswax?

I know there is advice on this subject - if someone can point me there. Skeet

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2009, 03:19:02 PM »
I've gone over to Barbour's thread - and there's no going back to the Tandy thread. It is just so much better. At the moment I'm using straight beeswax but I'd like to try Chuck's pitch pine idea. Is it half-and-half pine tar and beeswax?

I know there is advice on this subject - if someone can point me there. Skeet

Howdy Skeet

Looks like we're both sold on the Barbours thread, for the Bees Wax and Pine pitch blend I used 2/3 bees wax and  1/3 pine pitch, just heat it up until it gets syrupy ( I used an old Crock Pot, which is safer, if you have to do this on an open flame cooker , do it outside, the pitch is very flamable, and be real careful ) then pour into and old cup cake tin, don't use your wife's good one, I bought my own just to be safe LOL, you can make as much or as little as you want, I used WC's idea of putting the cup cake tin the freezer after I poured what I wanted in it, then when frozen, just turn it over and tap it out.

Hope this helped, I know you will like the results

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Offline Missouri Half Breed

• Livin the code
  • Top Active Citizen
  • every day above ground a good one.
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2010, 03:50:49 AM »
i use a dremal
your a daisy if you do

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2010, 08:24:19 AM »
So MHB, are you using a Dremel with a drill bit to punch holes for stitching?
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com