Author Topic: Another Embossing Wheel Holder  (Read 806 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Another Embossing Wheel Holder
« on: August 09, 2023, 06:55:53 PM »
As you may recall, a while back I repurposed an old embossing(?) wheel to take a new decorative roller.

I had a need for a new embossing wheel so I ordered one, a CS Osborne #10 wheel. I removed the decorative wheel from the classic one and put this one in. It worked OK but I couldn't apply enough pressure without trashing my forefinger. Rather than order a handle and wait for it to arrive, I decided to make one. LOL, I think I've been here before.

I needed a machine screw, a lock nut and brass washer. There's this beer tray on a shelf full of aircraft hardware I go to for this type of thing. It provided the right stuff.

To make the holder I intended to basically copy a CS Osborne #459. I drilled through a 3/8 bolt with the head removed then tapped it to 3/16-32. When I got set up to cut a groove in it, I thought, why go to all that effort when the wheel can work slightly off center so I split the bolt and cut off one side. It cleaned up fine and I rounded up a handle for it (there are a lot of dead tools lying around in my unused leather stuff so I took one of those handles). I tapped the hole in the handle to 3/8-18, same as the bolt thread, and screwed the new tool shaft into the handle with a little gorilla glue to keep it from coming loose.

All the parts from the misc parts beer tray worked fine. The AN3 button head screw had just the right grip length to act as a bearing surface so the wheel wouldn't have to ride on threads.

Assembled, I adjusted the screw then locked it in that position with the nut. I used a close tolerance nut so it wouldn't take up much room. When I tested it, it worked great. The best part? I had it within a short time of thinking up the project. No need to wait on it being shipped.

It's an easy design to work with. I used a button head machine screw so it wouldn't stick up and rub on the project if I tipped the tool at an angle.

Switching wheels is quick. I have another wheel on order and will use this handle for that as well.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
Re: Another Embossing Wheel Holder
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 09:08:11 AM »
Interesting topic and excellent presentation. Great border design! Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 09:55:17 AM »
Very Cool... I used to have a 30cal. ammo can filled with small aircraft hardware.

I was my go-to for all manner of small DIY projects.
 It was however another victim of my 2012 barn fire  :(

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:25:12 AM »

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 10:37:22 AM »
Interesting topic and excellent presentation. Great border design! Many thanks for sharing this with us.
Thank you, John. The top line is just the embossing wheel and the bottom line is against a beveled edge made with that beader tool I need for the coming project. This wheel won't be used on that project but the one I have on order will, once it's modified.  ;D

Very Cool... I used to have a 30cal. ammo can filled with small aircraft hardware.

I was my go-to for all manner of small DIY projects.
 It was however another victim of my 2012 barn fire  :(
Thanks. Too bad you lost your A/C hardware can. I can't tell you how many uses I've had for mine. AN hardware is really useful. There always seems to be just the right odd part, or parts, in that stuff.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 11:02:33 AM »
You are so darn handy when it comes to making your own tools. Great job, as usual.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 11:40:53 AM »
Thanks, Rube. It only took a short while to do. I've made or modified tools all my life and don't give a second thought to simple ones like this.

Offline PAMuzzleshooter

• Top Active Citizen
    • Powder, Patch and Ball Muzzleloaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 09:11:36 AM »
Will and Major…you were both stationed at my USMC Air Squadron weren’t you?  Just a few aircraft parts?   😂😂😂
Doug

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 09:59:46 AM »
Will and Major…you were both stationed at my USMC Air Squadron weren’t you?  Just a few aircraft parts?   😂😂😂
LOL, mine is left over from when I did maintenance and modifications while spotting fish with an airplane. I shared a hangar with a couple friends who were AIs and a lot of hardware came that way. I also built an airframe and bought a lot of stuff then, too. I bought a lot of air tools to do the work and still use them. AC 43.13-1B still looks over my shoulder when I work on things. ;D And then I did a stint in the aircraft parts industry.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2023, 09:51:04 PM »
Man you're a master at making handy little tools Marshall. Great job.

I have to admit I use a lot of home made stuff myself. There's something about the satisfaction you get working with tools you've made.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2023, 11:37:41 PM »
Thank you, Cliff.

I have to admit I use a lot of home made stuff myself. There's something about the satisfaction you get working with tools you've made.
That's so true. Often you end up with something that's uniquely suited to your needs where if you bought something to 'do the job' it would only be close.

When I installed the wheel, I put the side that would be against the bevel to the inside, against the brass washer but actually using it I found that it needed to be reversed to the outside for visibility. The wheel is much easier to keep aligned that way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com