Author Topic: New CAS loader here and hello!  (Read 2554 times)

Offline avtomatkournikova

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New CAS loader here and hello!
« on: May 13, 2012, 01:33:44 PM »
Hello everyone. I've been very much into shooting sports since I was a teenager and reloading has been a large part of that sport. Cowboy action has taken over my whole hobby now that I've found that it's more fun than shooting anything else for me right now. I got my coworker into it last week and he just got his first remmy 58. My wife's been shooting CAS with me since I started and she's got a remmy as well that she's in love with.

ANYWAY... The point of my post: I've been looking at 45 long colt loading data and searched through posts on this forum, and I've concluded the following and would appreciate some input.

Loading FFFG, pyrodex P or 777 FFFG with a conversion cylinder makes it eventually lock up with fouling if I don't keep the cylinder clean between shots. This apparently affects remmys more than colts due to their design. So, I am going to load:

1. 235 grain boolits with FFFG for when I want fire and brimstone, and I'll just keep the cylinder clean.
2. 235 grain boolits with Universal powder for when I want her clean and spinning without wiping at the range.

For the "#1" loads I'm going to use lots of "black powder friendly" bullet lube in the rings. I have not found a recommended bullet lube other than SPG. Is this good stuff for black powder? For the #2 bullets I will use very little lube (just enough to load smoothly).

I want to aim for around 850 FPS for these loads. The thing that is most new to me is cartridges being "position sensitive". Apparently Universal (or Unique as well) aren't as picky? I want to try to stay away from Trail Boss since it is difficult for me to get a hold of and is expensive.

This may sound silly but I've been pondering occasionally leaving the Sig at home and carrying a converted 5.5" 1858 for CCW.  Will a slower burning powder such as Universal be okay out of a shorter barrel or would something like Red Dot be more suited to this application?

Sorry for all the questions and info just puked out in one semi-lucid post, but I do appreciate your help.

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
Re: New CAS loader here and hello!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »
Hey Pard,

Might want to check out the Dark Siders you'll find 'em a friendly group and super informative on the "Holy Black Stuff"........  However watch thou tongue on that smokeless stuff over there and some will give a "back hand" over the substitutes..... :D  :D  :D

Seems to me that there are a few threads out there 'bout SA's & Cap-n-Ball revolvers being CCW pieces.....  IMHO is why loose seconds that ye most likely need hammer'n a SA...  ???  Me..... a DA that's been worked...  ;)

Welcome to CAS!!!!
Yeti76620
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline avtomatkournikova

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
Thanks Yeti - I'll ask over there too. Seems like 7.3 grains of Universal behind the 235g SPG lubed flat nose is what I like right now. You're right though - I suppose it would be a bit silly to CCW something that will take more time. I think I just got excited!  ;D  I just got another 1858, the 5.5" one... ADDICTED!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:54:37 AM »

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 05:37:04 AM »
If you need to stop a threat against your life or somebody with you, then please leave the cowboy gun at home and take the sig.
If you only want to feel cool carrying a gun then take the Remmy.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »
SPG is as good as any and better then some. I load the same 230 grain slug lubed the same over 2f black or smokeless and have no complaints. Unique has worked well for me but I have tryed a few others but haven't found them any better. I cast my slugs of 1 part tin to 20 parts lead.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com