Author Topic: GAF in Arizona - Call to Arms  (Read 35263 times)

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GAF in Arizona - Call to Arms
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 09:55:43 PM »
my old memory is fading and i can not for the lidfe of me think of what a "Cody/Dixon" match or class is.  I ahve heard the term but have never seen it.  someone commented that it wouldn't be a far streatch from that to a GAf format.
Not sure.

Hi BVH

The Cody/Dixon class is shot in South Texas were the rules were set up by a local club and it has branched out in South Texas and was offered at the last 2 SASS Texas State Championships because they were held in South Texas.  The folks in Lockhart (National Muster Location) offer it and that's where you saw the term here in the Barracks.  I've talked with some members of my club about possible starting it up here in North Central Texas.  If I can get that started then maybe GAF can be next.  I cut and pasted off a web site the rules so I could present something in writing to my club so I'll attach a .pdf with all the info.  Everyone should check it out.  To summarize it's cowboy action shot with big bore rifles at farther targets but the pistol and shotgun are exactly the same as everyone else shoots.  So you only need 2 to 3  additional rifle targets at each stage added to what the club already has set up for each monthly match.

Scout
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 12:36:06 AM »
Mr scout,
The ol panhandle needs the Cody/Dixon shoot. It'd be weird almost without it! When I went to the ruins of adobe walls, that bluff was one amazing shot!
Sure wish you could carpool with Bow View and attend the Dept. MO Muster. I'd sure like to meet the decendant of a legend.

Col. Davenport sir,

It'd be an honor to go to the muster, to finally make it and the Dept Mo muster is a great first event!  Besides, it'd also be great to finally meet Del in person. I'm humbled by the invite sir.  I'll ask Chief Haymaker if I may be able to join him on the trek. If he allows, I'll do all in my power to make it.

Dutifully,
WD
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 11:14:27 PM »
I am interested, may or may not be able to attend, 1 or 2 weekends a month I have mom duty, but if not otherwise engaged could make the drive up to Flag or down to Tombstone
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:39:27 AM »

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »
Shot with old Pueblo at Tombstone livery last Sunday.  nice range set up[ but bays arent real deep and targets were real close again.  Seems to be the norm around these parts.  Didn't get a chance to tank t the range owners about GAF,  I'll try contacting them. 

Willie,

Any chance of something up your way in late August?  If We come up with a plan I can see about getting an e-mail list form the GAF webisite to get the word out. 

Lets keep this thread going and pass the word to any GAF members who aren't on CASCITY.

Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 08:51:44 PM »
Chief,
Unfortunately late august would be pretty rough on us up here as everyone is just getting up here on the 24th. However I could convince the gang to be ready for mid-September though ;D

As of right now we just have the prime location up here, Stubbs is good at welding, so is Scott but it'd be hard to get enough targets made. Just a heads up.  

Past that and "Welcome Week" being that last week in august, were good to go semi-operational by sepember.

I've also posted up a network group on Facebook, the northern Arizona vigilance riders, http://www.facebook.com/groups/139767832745746?ap=1
You have to have a Facebook, but I've kept it open for others to join with admin permission.  On there is the rest of my company as well.

I've also noticed that the targets in the area are crazy close, definitely a fan of targets farther out.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 11:16:40 PM »
Mid September works for me. If we try this in your backyard I guess it has to be on your time.I am going to try to get a few targets together also.  With a skirmish format we don't need a bunch.  The stage runs longer with more shots.  so less "sets" of targets are needed.
we can call for 2 or 3 hits each. I will check into Facebook.

Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »
Sounds great Chief and it's great to have you on Facebook now too.

If you can, send me a message on either Facebook or here about how the skirmish scenarios work and I'm sure we can get something organized in no time for mid-September.

Dutifully,

WD

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 05:24:38 AM »
Willie,
Here's a video of the Expansion Era Match from last year that was shot using the skirmish format.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApYp6_FgLOc&feature=youtube_gdata[/youtube]
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
ONe thing I see is that the "skirmish" format just wont work at just any location.  At the Grand Muster last year things were set up more traditional CAS stages in regards to numers of rounds per stage and movement BUT there were rifle reloads n the clock for every stage and pistol reloads for most, along with some other fun stuff to start the stages with. 
Movement can be lateral or forward.  the same target can be shot from one position then another with the rifel then a third with pistol.  While I like the "must hit" idea it can burn up a lot of ammo if one has a bad day or missighted gun. 

Just watching that video again makes me tired.  :P  can hardly wait ;D
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »
just a reminder.  While most GAF classes ae based on a milspec rifle and pistol,  there is the Scouts of course but also the milita, buffalo, and forager (shotgun and pistol) and also infantry (milpec rifle only) and staff officer (pistol only) 
so  ther are several combinations of 2 guns you can use or even just one gun.  We have had  both infantry and staff officer at Grand musters, and I don't think they had any less fun than the rest of us. ;D

Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 09:44:41 PM »
ONe thing I see is that the "skirmish" format just wont work at just any location. 

That's absolutely true. But where it's possible it's a lot of fun.

Just watching that video again makes me tired.  :P  can hardly wait ;D
ME TOO!!!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »
Not sure if this is going anywhere right now. We could sure use a word from other GAF members in the AZ, NM area if ther is any intgerest in a GAF type of event at all.  I know SASS is king in this area, but GAF can be a nice change of pace.  Even if a group just gets together for a non-shooting outing or event.  (as important as they are) Let's try to GAF on the map with more than color gaurds at big SASS events.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
I am interested in GAF, should hear from the Gun Smith any day now to pick up my 98 Krag. 
Have limited availability to make some matchs.  Normally 2 weekends a month I have Mom Duty as she now has someone with her 24 /7 other than that the trip to Flag is not problematic.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »
THese things take time,  A simple set down and howdy might be the best place to start.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 12:36:48 AM »
The dept of the Platte members that have reported in here are few.
4 to be exact.  I have also heard from Dept commander Col Sagebrush Burns, but no real idea of what direction to go.  I know that SASS is king here and they have there military rifle match at winter range, so maybe that is enough.

I haven't had much time to make contacts or try to contact GAF members anywhere but here. 
Sorry for rambling on
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2011, 06:05:22 AM »
Keep plugging away, it takes time to get people to actually come out and play.  Keep in mind, too, that we are a very small niche, but you just need a few dedicated people to make it work.  Good luck!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2011, 06:20:21 PM »
BVM just be patient. I talked to Ned Neiderlander for, what, like 5 years before he got really into it. Look at him now!

Realistically though, it's more fun when you have people to share it with but in the long run just enjoy it for yourself.

1st Sgt.

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
THese things take time,  A simple set down and howdy might be the best place to start.

Drydock has the right Idea, I don't know what part of the state you live in but if you are interested in discussing this thing a Face to face discussion about it would be best. The vairables to organizing this are many such as where, when, how and of course $ Costs to think of a few. As you've said most of the people here are Cowboy shooters, Wildbunch shooters as well as Mounted shooters. Having another venue to shoot for a small group that's spread out can be exausting and difficult. But if you want to have a "sitdown" and talk contact me.

Respectfully

Brevet Captain Pigpen

Department of the Platte Chief of Ordnance   8)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 12:08:06 AM »
I'm in Safford, 3+hours east of Phonix, 2 hours NE from Tombstone and Tuscon,2?hours from Silver City NM.
I work alot of weekends but can get  awat somtimes.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 11:45:49 PM »
Maj Bow View:

Have you checked out the Tucson Rifle Club?  They ain't far from you, if I recollect where you are located these days. 
Anyhoo, they have several SASS outfits shooting there.  They are about 20 mi SW of Tucson, just a small piece west of Three Points.

Take care, Trooper,
Mustang Gregg
[still in Afghan]
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com