Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Colt Firearms

1/4 "safety" notch

(1/4) > >>

Davem:
I've heard all the stories, if you load six rounds in a SSA and lower the hammer into the 4th safety notch, it is not safe because if someone hits the hammer with a hard object the notch can break and the gun fire.  I have asked if anyone knows of any such events and what I get is someone was thrown off a horse and the guns hammer hit a rock on the ground and fired the guns, etc. etc.
When I ask where this occurred- lots of angry talk but no answers.
Anyone ever hear of an actual event?

Dave T:
It was written up in a Dodge City news paper that one Wyatt Earp was setting at a game of cards when his pistol fell out of his "pocket", perhaps his holster, and upon striking the floor discharged, exciting most of the rooms occupants.

Back about 1971 or '72 there was a write up about the incident of a Ruger Old Model Blackhawk loaded with 6 rounds discharging on being dropped or smacked. That lead the a law suite against Ruger and ultimately the introduction Ruger's New Model single actions.

It does and has happened, many more times than these two instances.

Dave

Abilene:
Except those two instances at least, the hammer was likely down on a live round.  Davem is asking about a discharge when the hammer is on the safety notch.  Which would take a harder hammer bump to break the notch.  Interesting question. 

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:

:)  Well . . . .  ;)

As an active Gunplumber, I always considered the Single Action safety notch to be rather fragile.  Not that one "can't" carry 6 up, but really not recommended. I was/am never inclined to carry any SA in that manner.  I did and have carried 6 up with the Firing Pin down between case rims.  However, 5 up, over an empty has been and is my preference.

Play Safe Out There

PS:  Most folks can't provide specific documentation because there simply isn't any.  Most wouldn't want to admit to having done something "dumb."  Have accidents happened??  Sure.  Where and when ??  Nada Clue.

Dave T:

--- Quote from: Abilene on October 09, 2021, 11:19:08 PM ---Except those two instances at least, the hammer was likely down on a live round.  Davem is asking about a discharge when the hammer is on the safety notch.  Which would take a harder hammer bump to break the notch.  Interesting question.
--- End quote ---

Abilene,

On what basis do you claim the hammer was "down on a live round"?  No more reason to believe that than that the hammer was resting on the 'safety notch'.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version