Author Topic: Need some uniform recommendations  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need some uniform recommendations
« on: July 30, 2006, 08:49:04 PM »
Gentlemen:

Since having been promoted to Bvt. Major of Ordnance, Dept. of the Platte, I have been pondering some uniform questions.  For field work, I will continue to wear my "CW" four-button sack coat, but have substituted crimson-background major's shoulder straps for my CW gold "railroad tracks".  Since no one makes Ordnance major's straps, I used artillery straps with the backgrounds darkened to "crimson" with a fabric marker pen. (I can change back to either the CW captain's straps or the 1872 cavalry captain's straps, if I am doing talks, demonstrations, etc.)  I will also continue to wear (until worn out) my sky-blue-kersey (actually Levi 501's) with the 1-1/2" cavalry stripes sewn to the outer seams...all in the field, of course.

But I am confronted with a dilemma with my "undress" uniform.  Prior to my brevet promotion, I purchased a 1879 junior officer's frock coat, with the clips for the shoulder straps.  As a cavalry captain, I wore the sky-blue trowsers (sic) with the 1-1/2" yellow stripes. (Actually, the same pants I wear for shoots.  But now, with the promotion to brevet major of ordnance, I am wearing shoulder straps with the darker red backgrounds, and the kepi with a brass "flaming bomb" insignia.

But what should I be wearing for trowsers?  Should I continue to wear my cavalry-yellow stripes on the skyblue trowsers, or since I'm now detailed ordnance, should I be wearing some other combination, perhaps the darker blue trowsers.  This is c. early-mid- 1880's.  But since the brevet promotion carries no increase in pay, I wish NOT to have to buy a complete new outfit!

I solicite your kind opinions.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Need some uniform recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 01:16:12 AM »
Trailrider,

Are the issue major shoulder straps of that time frame period roughly the same as the issue of today?  If they are let me know and I will try to pick up a set for you.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 05:36:07 AM »
Bvt Major Trailrider,

Actually, since you are "detailed" to the Ordnance Corps, you would typically wear the uniform and rank of your regular corps, ie a major of Cavalry.  Assuming that you were detailed after 1872, you would not wear the brevet rank, only your substantive rank.

However, since I realize you want to wear the uniform of an ordnance officer, you want to wear plain dark blue trousers (same color and fabric as the coat).  Field officer coats were double-breasted. 

The uniform regulations for 1872-1884 are provided below.  Off-hand, I don't believe this changed for staff officers in 1884 (though I could be wrong).

For General Officers, Officers of the General Staff, and Staff Corps: Dark blue cloth, plain, without stripe, welt, or cord.

For all Regimental Officers of Cavalry, Artillery, and Infantry: Light blue cloth, same shade of color as prescribed for enlisted men, with strip one and one-half inches wide, welted on edges; color, that of facings of their respective arms, except infantry, which will be dark blue.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:15:03 AM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 03:01:49 PM »
Gentlemen:

Old Top -  Appreciate the offer, Top.  But I'm fixed okay for the straps.

General, Sir - I think I'll go with the dark blue trowsers with the dress coat, though it may not be exactly the regulation coat for a field officer.  I'm obliged!

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 12:02:48 PM »
The Ordnance Department was considered part of the General Staff and those officers assigned to it were obliged to wear the Dark Blue Trousers and their shoulder straps were also required to of the black background with their rank embroided thereon.

Enlisted folks did wear the crimson piping and stripes.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 11:14:11 PM »
Obliged, sir!  I'll have to see if I can order General Staff major's straps from the Quartermaster Shop, etc.  The dark trowsers, sans any stripes will be the easiest part.

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 12:56:57 AM »
Brv't. Maj. Trailrider,

You can find most any shoulder boards that your hear desires at Fall Creek Sutlery.  What they have is amazing.  I got great Topog. Engineer Capt. and Lt. Col. boards from them.

Good luck.

Capt. R. H. Dorian
Brv't. Lt. Col. Chief Topog. Engineer
GAF
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog