Author Topic: Speaking German in Texas  (Read 15896 times)

Offline Windy City Joe

• If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Speaking German in Texas
« on: December 07, 2009, 08:18:50 PM »
Speaking  German in Texas

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Speaking German in Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:34:14 PM »
Hope he got enough to drink.
A work in progress.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:27:05 AM »
Some early Texas settlement were comprised of German immigrants and German was the language spoken in them.  Look at a Texas map and you will find many towns & cities with very German names.  These German settlement go back to when Sam Huston was recruiting immigrants for the "Mexican" state of Tejas!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:43:12 PM »

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 12:06:29 PM »
Some early Texas settlement were comprised of German immigrants and German was the language spoken in them.  Look at a Texas map and you will find many towns & cities with very German names.  These German settlement go back to when Sam Huston was recruiting immigrants for the "Mexican" state of Tejas!

Early Texas was very culturally diverse.  The oldest Polish-American settlement in America was Panna Maria, between San Antonio and Corpus Christi.  There were Basques in Hondo.  Czechs in Brenham.  I suspect you'll find lots more if you look around.   :)

SQQ

Offline captmack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • "TX is neither southern nor western. TX is TX"
    • Capt Mack's You Tube page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:00:06 PM »
My wife is from Cotulla which is in deep South Texas.  When her Great Grandparents immigrated to Texas from Germany they did not speak English.  Her Grandmother only spoke German when she entered grade school and learned to speak English rather quickly.

Capt Mack
Capt Prather Scott "Mack" McLain
Senator
NCOWS Life Member #175

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:15:36 AM »

A great deal of street names in my old Fort Worth neighborhood had mostly German names. While we're talking about it, I've read "The Texian Iliad" from cover to cover, there's a passage that mentions a young German immigrant who managed to escape from Goliad during the massacre.
A work in progress.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:17:25 AM »
Couple of interesting facts:

My uncle, himself of German descent, lived in New Braunfels, TX ... home of the annual Sausage Festival.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Its_sausage_time_in_New_Braunfels.html

Tejano music is culturally thought to be made up of French-Mexican-German inspiration ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »
Couple of interesting facts:

My uncle, himself of German descent, lived in New Braunfels, TX ... home of the annual Sausage Festival.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Its_sausage_time_in_New_Braunfels.html

Tejano music is culturally thought to be made up of French-Mexican-German inspiration ....

There's also a style called "conjunto" which is very clearly influenced by German and Anglo (mostly country) rythms.  Flaco Jimenez is a noted practitioner.

SQQ

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 06:07:40 PM »
Flaco played with the "Texas Tornados" regularly and one of the "Mavericks" songs.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »
Was it the Germans who introduced the accordion to Tex-Mex music?
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »
The Hill Country is thick with Barvarian immigrants.  The region from Mason south to San Antonio was a very popular region for Barvarians to settle.  Many of these settlers were from rural farming families in the "old country".   A good number of the families were Roman Catholic and left Germany due to religious persecution.  You still can find many 100+ year old ranch homes that have hallmarks of German stonework in their construction.  

There are 100's of great historic sites to visit in the Hill Country that exhibit it's strong Barvarian roots.  One of my favorite:  the town of Walburg.  It is north of Georgetown and about 5 miles east of I-35.  The town center has a 100+ year old structure called "Walburg Mercantile".  It was a regional dry goods store at the end of the 19th Century.  The well made structure has been maintained and has been a very good Barvarian restaurant since the 1980's.  On warm weather  weekend nights,  they open a 1 acre Biergarten in the back with local men playing polka music.  They've even put out a CD:  "The Walburg Boys".  

If you are driving down I-35, take the "Walburg" exit.  You will not regret it.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 09:48:25 PM »
Yep, and the polka ....

And there is the French side ... when Maximillian was in charge of Mexico, there were accordions as well, but I don't think they really got tat far north .... but the Germans brought the instruments (and rhythms) with them ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 11:15:19 AM »
Had a gr-great uncle (or sumpin - maybe a cuzzin) who was postmaster for a little burg not far from the present Lost Maples Park.  Called "Bugscuffle" - he hated the name, so he named it after himself - Vanderpool.  I think more people are in the cemetery than what live there now.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 06:08:08 PM »
I reckon Vanderpool sound a bit better than Bugscuttle! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 08:16:01 PM »
We have a lot of polka music here in Texas. The Czechs and Poles, as well as Greamans settled Texas and these cultures mixed with the Spanish cultures.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 08:59:23 PM »
From the late 1840s until WWI, German was the second most spoken language in San Antonio. There were German Newspapers, theater, Social Groups and Public Schools. Before WWI the southern area of Downtown was called Kaiser Wilhelm, it was changed to King William as a patriotic move. Most elected officials could only get elected if they won the German vote. I'd bet that there are more German descendants in SA than any other town in Texas.
JSYK, there were several ‘Nazi’ organizations in SA up until Dec 7, 1941, they quickly died and the Texas Germans fought for Texas, or the US, in large numbers.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 09:22:38 PM »
I have been feeling a tug to go back to the Dilly area. The chapel is gone, but the cemetary where much of my mother's ancestors is now been restored as a historic area.  I was even looking into the family name, and there is a bed and breakfast room named after my great aunt .....

But on my bucket list is a trip to Dilly, and some pictures of me with Great Great Grandpa and Great Great Grandma's graves ....

http://www.txgenweb6.org/txfrio/covey_chapel_cem.htm

His name is spelled Wat on the listing ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 09:24:25 AM »
My wife is from Cotulla which is in deep South Texas.  When her Great Grandparents immigrated to Texas from Germany they did not speak English.  Her Grandmother only spoke German when she entered grade school and learned to speak English rather quickly.
You know Capt. I was perusing the images page of the GAF website and I'm assuming that that fine looking Texas belle on your arm is your wife. What I can't understand is what the heck is she doing married to someone like you?!!!! :o ;D
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 08:40:14 AM »
Here's a little extra info on Walburg, Texas:

http://www.walburgrestaurant.com/
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 08:52:20 AM »
Gruss Gott!  (A traditional Bavarian greeting, akin to saying "Howdy!")

I want to eat at that restaurant, Pancho!

If any of y'all fancy fine Germerman cooking and are visiting Disney World, there's a GREAT German restaurant there in the park.
(Epcot Center area)

I had the pleasure of being stationed in Fulda, FRG (Federal Republic of Germany, otherwise known as the former West Germany) for nearly 8 years with the 11th Armored Cavalry.  (Border Duty)  I sure miss the Schnell Imbiss (fast snack bar) where one could get Currywurst (bratwurst and fries, covered with Curry Catchup & curry powder; Rindswurst - a beef sausage, cut & eaten on a Brotschen (small bread roll) with hot mustard and/or sauerkraut and fries; Jaeger Schnitzel - a fine breaded pork steak covered with a flavorful gravy containing mushrooms & onions; and ...

Oh, hell heck, now I'm really hongry!  Fortunately, my Frau, Billie, is a wizard at the stove and makes killer Jaeger Schnitzel and of course, good Bratwurst is readily available.

Yummy!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com