CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

180 Grain 45

(1/4) > >>

Rube Burrows:
I recently won a box of bullets (Thanks Coyote Mercantile).  I normally shoot 200g RNFP but all he had in stock in 45 was 180g bullets. won’t complain about free bullets and it’s a chance to try something new. Also first time trying trying powder coated bullets.

I have a new (to me) pair of 1871-72 Open Tops coming with 5.5” barrels so I figured I’d try a load for these.

On hand I have Trailboss, Unique and Bullyeye.

Anyone load for a 180g 45 bullet on here? If so what kind of loads are you liking ?

Thanks in advance 

Professor Marvel:
Greetings my good Monsieur Burrows

What brass you do have at hand for this endeavour? .45 Colt, .45 Schofield, or the shorty .45 Cowboy?
Since you use smokeless, I myself am preferring to use .45 CB and use existing recipes for Unique in .45 ACP since they are the same case volume and use similar if not identical lead bullets.

The recipes for unique and 185 grain lead semiwad target loads would be ideal in this case.
Please stand by whilst iget my books and notes...

I have been trying to use thecavernous .45 Colt case for  BP or subs only, and .45 Schofiled and .45 Cowboy brass for smokeless. It helps  keep them separated and easier to ID as my eyes age...

The only reason for Schofiield in my mind is that they cycle in my yellowboy without modification of the rifle.

I fully expect others to chime in before I can find my books,

Yhs
Prof marvel

For Scho

Rube Burrows:

--- Quote from: Professor Marvel on July 30, 2021, 10:10:18 PM ---Greetings my good Monsieur Burrows

What brass you do have at hand for this endeavour? .45 Colt, .45 Schofield, or the shorty .45 Cowboy?
Since you use smokeless, I myself am preferring to use .45 CB and use existing recipes for Unique in .45 ACP since they are the same case volume and use similar if not identical lead bullets.

The recipes for unique and 185 grain lead semiwad target loads would be ideal in this case.
Please stand by whilst iget my books and notes...

I have been trying to use thecavernous .45 Colt case for  BP or subs only, and .45 Schofiled and .45 Cowboy brass for smokeless. It helps  keep them separated and easier to ID as my eyes age...

The only reason for Schofiield in my mind is that they cycle in my yellowboy without modification of the rifle.

I fully expect others to chime in before I can find my books,

Yhs
Prof marvel

For Scho

--- End quote ---

So far I have always used the 45 Colt cases. I have starling brass mostly but have not tried the Schofield or the Cowboy cases but that’s something to look into also I suppose. I was not sure of an advantage of going with the shorter cases. It’s just not something that I have researched much at this point. Guess I need to.

Advertising:

Professor Marvel:

--- Quote from: Rube Burrows on July 30, 2021, 10:22:30 PM ---So far I have always used the 45 Colt cases. I have starling brass mostly but have not tried the Schofield or the Cowboy cases but that’s something to look into also I suppose. I was not sure of an advantage of going with the shorter cases. It’s just not something that I have researched much at this point. Guess I need to.

--- End quote ---

Well not really necessary. Being a die-hard fan of Unique, I guess I go out of my way to try to safely use it and those little 8-9 grain charges just rattle around in that huge case!

But wait! in the 2nd edition of the Lee book, dated ~ 2013, they have just the ticket for you!

180 gr lead bullet
trail boss
starting 6.0 grains  (lee dipper 1.30) for 818 fps
"never exceed" 7.3 grains for 935 fps, 12,700 psi

they DO NOT have a recipe for that bullet for unique or bullseye.
later I will dig out my ancient Lee book from 197x but things have changed so much I do not recommend the old
recipes to folks.

My 49th edition Lyman book only has recipes for 185 gr jacketed, which is sufficiently different from lead as to make one take pause and think. for example for a .45 Colt 200gr jacketed vs 200 gr lead they call for the following using Unique:

200 gr jacketed, Unique
start 8.5 gr for 847 fps     
max 9,5 gr for 934 fps   no pressure data.

200 gr lead, Unique
start 8.6 gr for 918 fps 8,700 cup
max 9.6 gr for 1083 fps 12,800 cup

we surmise that , as a rule of thumb, lead bullets can give "a tish" more velocity than jacket with less pressure, to a point.
I think, but cannot prove, that this is due to the entire jacket area acting as a bearing surface , vs two driving bands in a lead bullet.

for example using universal powder an 250 gr bullets, lee shows
250 gr lead bullet with universal powder
max 7.8 gr  for 941 fps  13,000 cup

250 gr jacketed xtp bullet with universal powder
max 8.5 gr for 856 fps   14,000 cup

they have no recipe for 180 or 185 gr bullets with Trailboss or Bullseye, so no way to try to extrapolate.

Thus I would suggest you try trailboss! it is nice and fluffy, and is a good smokeless powder for modern guns!
Fluffy is good in big cases, but might meter funny.

hope this helps
prof marvel

Rube Burrows:

--- Quote from: Professor Marvel on July 31, 2021, 02:26:42 AM ---Well not really necessary. Being a die-hard fan of Unique, I guess I go out of my way to try to safely use it and those little 8-9 grain charges just rattle around in that huge case!

But wait! in the 2nd edition of the Lee book, dated ~ 2013, they have just the ticket for you!

180 gr lead bullet
trail boss
starting 6.0 grains  (lee dipper 1.30) for 818 fps
"never exceed" 7.3 grains for 935 fps, 12,700 psi

they DO NOT have a recipe for that bullet for unique or bullseye.
later I will dig out my ancient Lee book from 197x but things have changed so much I do not recommend the old
recipes to folks.

My 49th edition Lyman book only has recipes for 185 gr jacketed, which is sufficiently different from lead as to make one take pause and think. for example for a .45 Colt 200gr jacketed vs 200 gr lead they call for the following using Unique:

200 gr jacketed, Unique
start 8.5 gr for 847 fps     
max 9,5 gr for 934 fps   no pressure data.

200 gr lead, Unique
start 8.6 gr for 918 fps 8,700 cup
max 9.6 gr for 1083 fps 12,800 cup

we surmise that , as a rule of thumb, lead bullets can give "a tish" more velocity than jacket with less pressure, to a point.
I think, but cannot prove, that this is due to the entire jacket area acting as a bearing surface , vs two driving bands in a lead bullet.

for example using universal powder an 250 gr bullets, lee shows
250 gr lead bullet with universal powder
max 7.8 gr  for 941 fps  13,000 cup

250 gr jacketed xtp bullet with universal powder
max 8.5 gr for 856 fps   14,000 cup

they have no recipe for 180 or 185 gr bullets with Trailboss or Bullseye, so no way to try to extrapolate.

Thus I would suggest you try trailboss! it is nice and fluffy, and is a good smokeless powder for modern guns!
Fluffy is good in big cases, but might meter funny.

hope this helps
prof marvel

--- End quote ---

All of that makes perfect sense. I really like Trailboss and have had no real problems getting it to throw consistent charges in my RCBS Uniflow Measure.

None of my books show anything for a 180 grain lead bullet. That is why I thought I would ask around here.

Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version