Author Topic: Why is this period so completely ignored?  (Read 33969 times)

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Why is this period so completely ignored?
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2011, 06:05:44 AM »
+++  ;D WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2011, 10:21:44 AM »
I don't see a need for different classes or modern, electronic timers. I'm afraid it would only encourage a race mentality, which is what I'd like to get away from. I'm coming at this from the rendezvous approach -- here are the targets, a hit is ten points, a miss is zip. Add it up at the end of the match and high point wins. A tie requires a shoot-off, or a knife throw, or a... Distances can vary according to the range, and something like a woods walk or a renegade attack can add a lot of fun to an event without a lot of extra work. Most stage set-ups I've seen would also work, just don't shoot it with a timer and include a few targets that will scatter the final scores.

I've set up shoots using watermelon gourds, squash, prickly pear pads, chili peppers, pieces of cork, wooden dowels, charcoal, ice (in winter), and even a skillet from a junk shop set waay out there, because I wasn't sure how much punishment it could take if it was hit too many times. I generally tried to set up a match as fair as possible; for every long range target that favored a rifle, I'd include something to favor a smoothbore. I'd really like to get away from electronic timer and racing the clock. With SASS, NCOWS, Western Three-Gun, Wild Bunch, etc., there are plenty of those types of matches readily available.

Nothing's set in stone at this point, and bumping the time back to 1865 is certainly feasible.

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2011, 04:17:46 PM »
I see many thoughts on the persona to recreate and the firearms that would be representative of such a person except what was probably the largest group of that period,the settler with his smoothbore whether it be a surplus or cutdown musket or a boughten shotgun.Just a thought. ;)

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 02:19:25 PM »

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2011, 01:01:36 PM »
I'd really like to get away from electronic timer and racing the clock.

Nothing's set in stone at this point, and bumping the time back to 1865 is certainly feasible.

The plainsman and the buffalo hunter prided themselves on accuracy, not speed.  I cast my vote for this.

The 1865 time line works for my group so we would also cast our vote for this as well.

Our little group also adds wood bows and arrows, tomahawk throwing, knife throwing and other items into the mix as well.   I think that a general guide line for the national / international group would work with individual groups adding their own into the mix.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2011, 09:58:21 PM »
It sounds like the consensus is for an 1865 cut off date, which works for me -- 1840 to 1865. I emailed Marshal Halloway last week about our own forum for the Plainsmen period, and he replied that he was out of town, but that it was a possibility. I'll write him again tonight and see what he thinks. I like your thoughts on accuracy over speed, TwoWalks, and JimBob, ain't no reason we can't find a way to include a settler.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »
It sounds like the consensus is for an 1865 cut off date, which works for me -- 1840 to 1865. I emailed Marshal Halloway last week about our own forum for the Plainsmen period, and he replied that he was out of town, but that it was a possibility. I'll write him again tonight and see what he thinks. I like your thoughts on accuracy over speed, TwoWalks, and JimBob, ain't no reason we can't find a way to include a settler.

;D the "The American Plainsmen Society" is in the process of being added. 

The dates 1840 - 1865 begins where the fur trade groups end and ends where GAF begins.  I feel that covers the percussion period and the plainsman hay day very well.  I like where this is headed, thanks for the insight and work Caleb.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »
Thanks to the many of you who posted your ideas and suggestions here, The American Plainsmen Society is now a reality with its own CasCity home. Check it out, and let's see where this trail leads us.

Thanks also to St. George and Silver Creek Slim for the space in the Historical Society forum to get this new board started.

Best,
Caleb

Offline boilerplatejackson

• Master Tailor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mastor Tailor
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2011, 12:31:36 AM »
Here in Kansas, we have a diversity of living history. As mentioned elsewhere Fort Scott provides Mexican War era, as well
as Civil War era encampments. The opening of the Kansas Territory has many annual and bi annual KT battle reenactments held
on or near the actual battlefields. But the participants are limited to specific CW reenactment groups whom do a very good  job
with the civilian impressions. Live fire shooters they are not.

So far what we have is SASS, NCOWS, and mountain man rendevious. What we also need are specific Plainsmen events
that include 1840 thru 1869 for a variety of Plains rifles, handguns and fowlers. I think between KTMA, KMA, and NCOWS
we could have more plainsmen events. Defining what those events could be would be fun.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2011, 07:05:27 PM »
I agree, and I'd like to see some of these events take place in Kansas. Right now we're talking about getting together at one event a year, at least until we grow a little larger. Like GAFs annual Muster. It's coming.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com