Author Topic: Tang Sights ?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Tang Sights ?
« on: October 09, 2020, 06:19:53 PM »
I'm gonna start looking into this but thought I would ask opinions here too.

Anyone have any info on documented use of adjustable tang sights on the famous buffalo rifles (Sharps, Rolling Blocks, Trapdoors, etc.) to hunt buffalo? I'm thinking most of the hunters used barrel mounted sights but I really don't know for sure.

Dave

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tang Sights ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 10:01:39 PM »
Have you checked Sellers book or Marcot's book on Sharps?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 01:32:49 PM »
Don't own either one so no, haven't checked them. That's why I posted. Thought maybe folks who have a more extensive library on these rifles might chime in with some info. Most of my books center around the Colt SAA and Old West stuff in general.

Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:58:17 AM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 06:56:36 PM »
Page 212 of Sellers book shows photos of a number of different vernier tang sights available and commonly used on the 1874 Sharps rifles.  He states the Sporting tang sight was used on the Sporting, Business and Hunters model rifles.  It had vernier elevation adjustment, with some models also having vernier windage adjustment. 
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 07:32:45 PM »
"Sharps Rifle, the gun that shaped American Destiny" by Martin Rywell.  It si mostly reprints of Sharps factory literature from the 1850s/60s/70s, has illustrations of Sharps rifles from both percussion and cartridge eras, many shown with Tang sights and the prices for them.  There is even a Slant Breech model from the early 1850s, with a simple style of Vernier tang sight.  I suspect most Hunting sharps used tang sights such as these:  https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/323668664875_/Vintage-Sharps-Tang-Peep-sight.jpg

The "Creedmore" rifles of the age used the more sophisticated fine adjust verniers such as those sold today by Montana Vintage Arms.  Rywells book again shows these mounted on M1874 and M1878 rifles, with associated prices.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 08:16:52 PM »
The Sellers and Marcot books have numerous examples of rifles that were likely used by buffalo hunters and were equipped with tang sporting sights like the one mentioned above.
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 09:23:00 PM »
Fascinating stuff, and thanks to every one for the info. It appears my guess was quite wide of the mark. Well, not the first time I've missed. (lol)

Da e

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 10:09:01 PM »
I should mention that there are also many examples, probably more, which only have barrel sights, so either is really correct.
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 04:48:26 AM »
I'd like to chime in with some practical experience:  In 2006 me and two buddies participated in a trophy hunt for three buffalo bulls on Curt Hepper's Flying H Ranch in North Dakota.  My buddies were both shooting Pedersoli 1874 Sharps rifles in .45-90 with Vernier tang sights and tunnel front sights with inserts.
I was shooting my Pedersoli 1874 "Berdan's" Sharps in .45-70 with a 4X Tasco long brasstube telescope mounted in old original mounts.  (All cartridges contained lead bullets and Swiss blackpowder).
We all got our respective bulls, but my buddies admitted that it was very hard to see the front insert against the dark hide of the buffalo.  They both felt a "german silver" front sight or a "Beach combination" front sight would have been a better choice for hunting than the tunnel front sights.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com