Author Topic: Bore diameter  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Malacai Johnson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bore diameter
« on: May 10, 2006, 02:38:49 PM »
OK, I'm starting to get to gether the things I'll need to rool my own BP loads for my new Uberti Henry. Does anyone know the bore diameter for the Uberti? Do they vary much? Am I gonna hafta slug my barrel to know what size bullet to get? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mal

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: Bore diameter
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 05:24:39 PM »
What caliber is the Henry?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Malacai Johnson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 05:50:37 PM »
Sorry. It's a 45 Long Colt.

Mal

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:51:23 PM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 09:58:23 AM »
I would say .454", but I'm not sure.
I size all my .45 Colt boolits to .454", but .452" should work also 'cuz I know people that size their boolits to that and they work fine.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 10:52:15 AM »
Industry standard groove diameter for 45 Colt has been .451 ever since the end of WWII. Around 1956 to be exact, when the first Second Generation Colts were made. Up until 1940, standard gorove diameter for 45 Colt was .454. In 1956 it was changed to .451 in order to match the groove diameter of 45ACP.

Of course rifles chambered in 45 Colt are an entirely modern concept, instigated largely by the success of Cowboy Action Shooting. But industry standard groove diameter for 45 Colt today is .451, regardless of the form of the gun. Of course, standards are one thing, and reality is another. Individual groove diameters can vary slighlty, due to tool wear in the manufacturing process. The only way to truly know your groove diameter is to slug your barrel.

Incidentally, while I have my schoolmarm hat on, the term is Groove Diameter, not Bore Diameter. Bore diameter is the diameter across the lands of the rifling. Bore diameter corresponds to the diameter the hole in the barrel was drilled, or 'bored' before the rifling was cut. Groove diameter is measured across the bottom of the grooves, and is the important measurement to consider when choosing a bullet diameter.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Malacai Johnson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 11:00:17 AM »
Slim and Driftwood,

Thanks for the info, especially the groove-vs-bore diameter stuff. I probably knew that at one time, but my head gets more filled with stuff every day. Sometimes I wish I had more of an open mind so some of it could escape. I'll probably forget this info in a year of two, but I can't seem to shake the theme song from "Gilligan's Island"!

Mal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com