Poll

Is there an interest for a forum board for The 1860 Henry Rifle and the Yellow Boy (Model 66 - the Improved Henry)?

Yes and will use it
22 (53.7%)
No interest
11 (26.8%)
No opinion
8 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: How about a place for Henry shooters to go...?  (Read 22508 times)

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How about a place for Henry shooters to go...?
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 02:18:06 PM »
Noticed this poll on the NCOWS forum "where accuracy counts" - appreciate the new buffalo rifle forum and would enjoy the henry/improved henry forum.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Stump Water

• I ain't gonna worry about it.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 09:41:17 PM »
Ain't no such thing as a "Henry" rifle... (unless you count the idjits that bought the rights to use the name).  There's a "Henry" rifle just like there's a "Walker" brand colt.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2006, 05:11:54 PM »
Well ...

re: Big John Denny's report on the NSSA accident and reactionary actions taken, as well as major231's accounting of the accident he saw.  These are both very regrettable accidents.  Both NCOWS and   SASS put safety first - as it should be.  Sounds like NSSA is concerned, too.  However, banning the Henry or limiting it to one shot is pretty much a knee jerk reaction nearly comparable to the anti gun crowd when they react to something bad that happened.  Do either of you know if the proper bullets were being used?  I'll bet not.  I've heard of several tests where they TRIED to make the rounds go off in the magazine using RNFP (round-nosed-flat-point) bullets and deliberately letting the follower go ... and they couldn't get them to go off.  I believe that was also true of RN (round-nosed) SOFT lead bullets; they wouldn't detonate.  However, hard cast RN bullets and/or any pointed or even semi-pointed bullets went BANG. 

So yes, the guy who changed his vote - Me - would see that a separate board might be enjoyable as well as helpful in safety and operational techniques and is perhaps a worthwhile endeavor.

Ya wanna know sumpin else?  IF they got owner's manuals with those guns ... and yes, I realize that not every gun comes with a manual, especially  used guns, I'll bet there was a BOLDLY highlighted SAFETY section in the manual that mentions that you shouldn't drop the bullets down the tube OR release the follower !

Just my dos pesos worth.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:02:42 AM »

Juan Colgando

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2006, 05:22:51 PM »
Greetings
Is this becoming 'dead horse' statis  ???

Juan

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2006, 05:29:03 PM »
Jeff

The consciences , in the aftermath of the Accident I witness was, an improperly seated primer. As to the bullet I don't know.
Several more rounds were discovered in the owners kit with slightly raised Primers.

The damage to the Henry was repairable a new barrel was fitted , to replace the bulged magazine near the muzzle end.
when planets align...do the deal !

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2006, 09:19:49 PM »
major231, thanks for the extra input.  As I said, it is truly regrettable.

I'm not doubting, but I'm also trying to figure out HOW a high primer would detonate.  It may be the speed that causes the ignition.  For the primer to work properly, it's my understanding that the anvil has to dent (or puncture) the coating or crust of the primer mixture to "activate" it.  I think this process makes the mixture more sensative, so that the strike of the firing pin will start the ball rolling.  Perhaps with the primer being high then being (essentially) fully or nearly fully seated at high speed, (like the spring powered follower would do) causes the anvil to act like both itself AND the firing pin.  Or some other harebrained hypothesis. ::)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Just George

• Just George SASS#68097
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2006, 11:47:13 AM »
Well, thanks to all of you who took the time to post here.  Joss House, thanks for the links.  The Henry history was very interesting and is almost the same as it is told by Henry Repeating Arms Co.  Major 231, I really liked your statement concerning, "Henry minded" folks.  I guess we are all Old West Minded when it comes to this sport.  I'm new to CAS, yes, but one thing I know for sure; I don't have to take my "replica of nothing" new modern old looking firearm to a gunsmith and spend about what the thing cost, just to make the action smooth.  As far as hitting a match head at 50 yards, I'd like to see that.  I can hit a match book almost every time with my scope mounted 270 Remington.  And, maybe a coke can most of the time at 50 yards with my replica of nothing Henry Repeating Arms (made in America thank you) 45LC, from a bench rest.  So, in the long run I'm not going to worry about it (thank you Joss House) and just have fun.  My hat is off to you guys who own the tin lizzies.  Of course, most of the internal parts have been replaced, actions slicked and so on.  I'll just USE my replica of nothing gun, just as it is, as my main match rifle, that is when I get to shoot my first main match!  Again, thanks to all who gave an opinion.  I read every one, twice.
Listen to the wind.  Talk to the smoke.  Watch the moon.

9th Inf Div, RVN, 66/67
AAA-0

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2006, 01:43:07 PM »
Just to set the record straight ... I favor a Henry Forum " for like minded folks "

I have no negative feelings toward the Henry Big Boy rifles. I have even suggested one to someone once.
I'm proud another AMERICAN gun Manufacturer is making guns these days. So many of the old names are gone or absorbed, sold off, or made overseas.
Just George points out His BigBoy is a "replica of nothing" well by definition then if it's not a replica ,then it must be an Original.
Not in the sense of an 1860 or 66 original , but in the sense of unique one of a kind.

I,  for one enjoy many forums here at Cas City though I don't own or shoot some of the varieties ( that's not to say I wouldn't enjoy to).

Also for the record , My Henry is not slicked, tuned or short stroked,  It has never needed a Gunsmith , I broke it in. As I did my first Henry and my Yellowboy, both of which I foolishly let get away.

George , if you and the Big Boy  want to chime in , your welcome at my fire anytime.

Offline Triggersmith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2006, 10:19:20 PM »
I have a Navy Arms (Uberti) 1860 Henry in 44/40. I would like to see a place for us to hang out and gab.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Offline Just George

• Just George SASS#68097
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2006, 11:28:30 PM »
Hey guys (and gals), if I could have read these posts B 4 I bought the US Repeating Arms Henry, I might not have.  But, I'll tell you, when I looked at it, it was love at first sight.  It looked like an old gun just like the rest of the replicas (I just didn't know it didn't look like an 1860 Henry)!  The action was as good as the others, and it felt good.  I bought it.  It shoots good also.

All I've heard about SASS and CAS is that everyone is in for the friendship.  I can sure see why they say that!  I will be meeting some of you (Kern County guys for sure).  And when I do you'll get a big old smile and a fat old handshake!  Not mention the thanks, in person.  I find I'm running into SASS members almost everywhere I go.  They all have one thing in common; they want to say hi FIRST!  The only thing bad I can say about this is that I didn't learn about this until just late last year.

Thanks for everyones' response.  Really, Thanks.

Be seein' ya. 
Listen to the wind.  Talk to the smoke.  Watch the moon.

9th Inf Div, RVN, 66/67
AAA-0

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2006, 08:10:22 AM »
major231, thanks for the extra input.  As I said, it is truly regrettable.

I'm not doubting, but I'm also trying to figure out HOW a high primer would detonate.  It may be the speed that causes the ignition.  For the primer to work properly, it's my understanding that the anvil has to dent (or puncture) the coating or crust of the primer mixture to "activate" it.  I think this process makes the mixture more sensative, so that the strike of the firing pin will start the ball rolling.  Perhaps with the primer being high then being (essentially) fully or nearly fully seated at high speed, (like the spring powered follower would do) causes the anvil to act like both itself AND the firing pin.  Or some other harebrained hypothesis. ::)

Last night, I asked the local organizer of our CAS shoots , if he would shed some more light on this incident.

Seems your are correct , the fellow was using a round nose bullet in his reloads. I had not heard that about that back when it happened.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2006, 09:42:45 AM »
I voted for it.
I have shot my Cimmaron (Uberti) Henry .44 WCF exclusively as my main match rifle for a year.

*Puts moderator hat on*
This thread has wandered I bit off topic. Let's try to stay on topic (How about a place for Henry shooters to go...?).
*Takes moderator hat off*

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2006, 12:44:07 PM »
Well, as of today, we have 22 folks signed up.

I will let the Marshal know.

I would say it would be better to limit the proposed forum to just 1860 Henry shooters at this point.
Not saying that the "new" Henry is not a good gun or worth while, but, that it is not a toggle link, solid frame/barrel product.

Thanks for everyone who voted.  ;D

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 05:21:42 PM »
You got your board and let us see how this turns out.

We might need a better name and a board description, but I will leave that up to you, folks!

Let's get it started.
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2006, 07:04:45 PM »
YEA !

I like THORN  =  Tyler Henry's Original Rifle News

Offline Troublesome River

• SASS #69863
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2006, 02:23:39 PM »
Howdy guys,
I'll agree to that. I'm just getting back into shooting again and plan on using a '60 Henry or '66 for my main match gun. So count me in.- Peacefull Gunn
I'm too old to fight, and I'm too young to die, but I ain't gonna run!!

Student of the lost arts
Pirate of the Darkside

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2006, 09:24:49 PM »
How about THWAK.   The sound of a good hit, and for "TYLER HENRY, WINCHESTER, AND KINGS PATENT"
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2006, 12:17:38 PM »
THWAK!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com