Author Topic: Dick Dastardly  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Dick Dastardly
« on: January 27, 2023, 11:46:49 AM »
Anybody ever talk with Dick or know about any situation.? He hasn't posted for quite awhile, used to be one of the biggest posters on the Darkside. Hope he is OK.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: Dick Dastardly
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 12:39:50 PM »
Yeah, me too Crow Choker. He used to be here almost daily and I've used, with satisfaction, some of his products over the years. Starting to realize a number of regulars have been MIA recently.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Sedalia Dave

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99699
  • NCOWS #: 3836
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 162
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 06:31:22 PM »
Over the past year I have made multiple attempts to contact him about buying a couple of his Big Lube moulds. Never got a reply.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:34:43 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 09:06:00 PM »
has anyone tried to call ?  (608) 837-2154 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 09:48:03 PM »
I sent him a PM asking if he was okay.  I got a PM back from Marshall Halloway saying that Dick responded but sent it to the Marshall, and he forwarded it to me.
Dick said:

Fine here.  Cold, but fine.

Thank you

Dick Dastardly aka Dick Rhody

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 04:51:19 PM »
Hi Navy SIX,
Yes only Black Gunpowder is interesting but at times frustrating as HE double tooth picks. [family friendly]
Speaking of Navy Sixes I had taken my 1861 out of the rack and cleaned storage oil out of it  completely also removing the firing cones.
This morning I put it together (sort of) and loaded it with paper cartridges, but when I went to cap it...NO CONES!!
Fortunately the paper base held the powder and with cones replaced, capped then ran (hobbled actually) outside and whacked my five CAS targets.
Some days... and I was thinking how get pointed bullets pulled?
Old age and a BIG brain phart.
BUT
Still makin' smoke
Bunk

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 12:01:32 PM »
Bunk, good on your 61(and paper cartridges)! I prefer the balance of my 61 over the 60 Army. I know the barrel is only 1/2" shorter, but it seems to make a difference for me.  Too cold for any shooting right now but Spring isn't that far off. I can't wait to get started as I enjoy all facets of experimenting with black powder. One experiment didn't work too well, however. I tried cutting down some 12 ga. hulls and used a roll crimp at the end of last Cowboy season. Must have done something wrong as 45/50 grs of 3F a plastic wad and 1oz. of 7 1/2 wouldn't knock down targets. Serves me right for trying a reduced load. I got plenty of black powder so this season is "Let her rip"
 Yes STILL making smoke!!
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 07:41:44 PM »
Hey Navy Six,
My first C&B and still a favorite is my '61 Navy. On those "weak" shotgun loads: Use them in a gun with chokes and it'll take down the fallers. If I am serious I will use a steel shot cup (for steel shot which is thicker than a typical plastic wad) and slit it twice. The wad stays together for a bit before opening up and I get MODIFIED choke patterns from a cut off (cyl/cyl) Stevens 311. Makes a big diff on fallers.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 10:57:05 PM »
... On those "weak" shotgun loads: Use them in a gun with chokes and it'll take down the fallers. If I am serious I will use a steel shot cup (for steel shot which is thicker than a typical plastic wad) and slit it twice. The wad stays together for a bit before opening up and I get MODIFIED choke patterns from a cut off (cyl/cyl) Stevens 311. Makes a big diff on fallers.

Ah My Dear Hellgate
Thanks for that, I too am 'sperimenting trying to get tighter patterns with bp and cylinder bores.
I was going to try heavy paper ( ie full length, double thick ) shot "cups" but
it is good to learn from others that have had success!

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 07:33:51 AM »
"Am too" waiting for spring and sunny shootin weather. Some balmy Feb/March day with no blasted brisk winds could get me out poppin caps and burning black though. Used to do it all the time back in the day. Nice stroll along one of the two rivers in my area or through a timber. An old sand pit used to get used alot also until out of towners bought it and pronounced it a hangin offense if ya even stopped along the road and looked across the fence. Sunny days here in Iowa though have had nasty strong winds the last couple of months, some with alot of moisture that made em extra nasty. Pretty good snow cover at present, but Iowa Feb/March could bring a bunch more. Backyard range shootin if nothing else would get my quivering trigger finger satisfied! ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 09:59:18 AM »

:)  Hey Guys!!  ;)

:) :) And You Two Perfesser  ;D

Hokay.  I had some serious issues with Knockdown targets with classic loading in my All Brass hulls.  Left a lot of Knockdown targets standing.  Turns out, twaz holes in the patterns and the shot was spreading immediately after leaving the barrel.  Waz using fiber wadz.

Gave that up in two stages, but I'll skip the the last stage in the interest of brevity.  First and foremost, one NEEDS some form of Shot Cup otherwise the spread is almost instantaneous.  I settled on a Ballistic Products "Spitfire" wad for a One Ounce pay load.  The stack is:  40Gr 3F APP > SPITFIRE wad > One Ounce of 7 1/2 reclaimed shot > Double Over Shot card.  If I do my part and actually hit the popper, takes 'em down smartly.  One must remember, one must actually HIT the target  ;D

Wy Yes Agness, People ARE Hazardous to Yer Health!!  Just ask ME!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com