Author Topic: once upon a time in the west  (Read 4177 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
once upon a time in the west
« on: October 07, 2018, 07:12:13 AM »
just watching this on TV (late night non ratings time) at the point where they just captured "harmonica" - Henry Fonda and his bad guys riding away from the train and the foreground is just smothered with rubber tyre car tread marks . aaaaaaggggghhhh.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: once upon a time in the west
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 08:54:04 AM »
Know what you mean. In The Professionals, the heros travel through a desert dust storm to escape Raza to get back to the abandoned house where they rest. Next scene, long shot, Raza and his men approach the ruins but where the sand should be smooth as a dune at the beach it’s totally tracked up. Yes I’m picky but I notice little things. Both movies are excellent and worth spending your time on.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 03:13:58 AM »
If the movie is good then you can forgive these little blemishes. If the movie is poor then the mistakes only serve to infuriate you further. Once Upon a Time in the West is a grotesque western. I've tried several times to watch it, mostly because many say it's a brilliant Western, but if I spotted a Sherman tank behind Jack Elams head it would only cause a slight raising of my eyebrow.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:56:18 PM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »
If the movie is good then you can forgive these little blemishes. If the movie is poor then the mistakes only serve to infuriate you further. Once Upon a Time in the West is a grotesque western. I've tried several times to watch it, mostly because many say it's a brilliant Western, but if I spotted a Sherman tank behind Jack Elams head it would only cause a slight raising of my eyebrow.

That is an opinion (not a statement of fact) - we all have em (opinions) - mine is the opposite to yours - I didnt notice Jack Elam - I was probably distracted - Claudia Cardinale, Fonda, Bronson, Jason Robards. Good Movie great cast. 

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 01:35:49 PM »
Well, Elam and Woody Strode had short parts, but memorable to me (Is Claudia Cardinale ever not memorable?).   I remember Elam catching a fly in the barrel of his gun.  I struck me as hilarious.   

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 10:51:30 PM »
Well, Elam and Woody Strode had short parts, but memorable to me (Is Claudia Cardinale ever not memorable?).   I remember Elam catching a fly in the barrel of his gun.  I struck me as hilarious.   

I liked it - no foul language - the eeriness of the harmonica music  - slower pace than a lot of westerns without being boring - the stare out between the two gunmen (Fonda and Bronson) at the end is a classic - maybe I took a little snooze while Elam was on - he is hard to miss in anything he plays in

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »
Woody Strode and Jack Elam were two of the three gunmen who met Harmonica at the train.  They were the ones who brought 2 horses too many.  The third was an actor who I heard committed suicide on the set. 

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 05:38:04 PM »
Woody Strode and Jack Elam were two of the three gunmen who met Harmonica at the train.  They were the ones who brought 2 horses too many.  The third was an actor who I heard committed suicide on the set. 

Ahh I missed the start of it - mrs was watchjing some english show!

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 10:50:48 PM »
It's a great beginning and really sets the mood for the movie.  Wonder how much Strode and Elam earned, being in just one scene?  I have that movie as well as the MWNN Trilogy all resident on my laptop's hard drive so I could watch them any time, yet I find myself always watching whenever they come on tv  :)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 10:14:51 AM »
In the movie, The Searchers with the Duke, the winter scene where the cavalry and captives are fording a river with chunks of ice floating by, you can see a motorized vehicle in the background driving left to right then it stops.  It looks like it stopped to watch the movie action crossing the river.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 05:32:10 PM »
I will look for this the next time it's on. The first minute of The Searchers is perfection though. I could forgive the continuity guy anything.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 05:43:36 PM »
I read somewhere that director Sergio Leone during the filming of  Once upon a time in the west , gave the cast a break and they cut some watermelon that in turn brought the flies , One fly caught by Jack Elam in his Colt barrel. The dude had a look , that's for sure . ,,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com