Author Topic: Need A Movie Title  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Virginia Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need A Movie Title
« on: December 13, 2006, 11:14:41 AM »
I need a title of a movie that is driving me nuts.  I believe James Stewart played the lead role.  He was a prisoner that created the first carbine rifle or something.  I remember watching it with my Dad when I was younger and I would like to see it again.  So, any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Need A Movie Title
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 11:55:32 AM »
Carbine Williams?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:08:52 PM »
I believe Forty has it!   James Stewart played David Marshall 'Marsh' Williams, the real life inventor of the world famous M-1 Carbine automatic riffle used in WWII. 
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:56:06 PM »

Offline Virginia Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 12:17:09 PM »
Thanks, I really appreciate.  Now, I am going to have to find it on DVD.

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 01:25:02 PM »
‘Scuse me; I’m not trying to be a nit picker,  but wasn’t Mr. William’s creation (the M1 carbine) a semi automatic?   ???  I’m not that knowledgeable about military weapons, but I do believe that the auto version was the M2. Was the prototype full auto perhaps?
"If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem"
"America is too great for small ideas"
"Trust in The Lord, but keep yer powder dry"
"America bless God"
 "There ain't no sucha thing as a free lunch!"

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 09:25:02 PM »
The coolest thing about it was that Williams developed the carbine surreptitiously while he was in prison! Saw the movie when I was a teenager and even then it seemed to me that the movie bent over backwards to portray Williams as an innocent man railroaded into prison. Well, maybe. It seems he was moonshining when the still was raided by revenoors. A Fed was killed, and the movie would have it that everyone was shooting and  Williams was convicted simply because he was known to be the best shot among the bootleggers. Again, maybe. Whatever, I'd say he earned his reprieve by inventing a fine weapon at a time when his country needed it badly.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 11:28:13 PM »
Williams was a prolific firearms designer, and had worked in a blacksmith’s shop as a youth - giving him familiarity with metal work and design.

While in prison - having pled guilty to second-degree murder in 1921 - he was put to work in the prison’s machine shop repairing the guards’ weapons.

Working in secret on his designs - in the years between 1923 and 1928, he built four rifles which incorporated his two most famous inventions.

His first rifle he built from 'scrap iron and a walnut fence post.', while another was made from a tractor axle and the drive shaft from a Model T.

Williams’ first prison-built rifle used a floating chamber design that later became the basis for several designs that allow firearms to fire a sub-caliber round.

Perhaps the best-known example of the 'floating chamber' is that of Colt’s .22-.45 conversion kit, which allows a Government Model 1911 to fire .22 Long Rifle ammunition.

Williams received a patent for the floating chamber in 1936.

The invention that would earn him his nickname was the short-stroke piston gas system that was used in the M1 Carbine.

Williams had invented the short-stroke system while in prison, and in 1941 he went to work with Winchester on the Carbine Project.

He received a patent for the short-stroke piston in 1944.

The initial design of the M1 Carbine was semi-automatic and was the standard-issue carbine of WWII for non-Airborne troops, who used the M1A1, with its folding stock.

The fully-automatic M2 was a late-war modification (later type-classified) that saw considerable use in Korea and Viet-Nam.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com