GENERAL TOPICS > Books & Movies

Invulnerability of western movie horse teams

(1/4) > >>

Lead Zeppelin:
I was just watching a western (not a good one - the 1986 version of Stagecoach), and during the scene when the stagecoach is being chased by Indians, it struck me that the horses pulling the stagecoach were apparently invulnerable to both arrows and bullets.  I don't think I have *ever* seen a movie stagecoach horse that was taken down by the bad guys chasing the stage.  The bad guys could be completely surrounding the stagecoach as it speeds down the trail, and kill every person on and in the stagecoach - and the horses never even stumble.  Those stagecoach teams must have had very tough hides!!    ;D

joec:
I've noticed that myself but did see a western yesterday with a wagon train where the lead horse got taken out by Indians. I was an old John Wayne movie called Hondo. I caught it yesterday on one of the DirecTV channels.

Lead Zeppelin:

--- Quote from: joec on November 07, 2011, 02:46:15 PM ---I've noticed that myself but did see a western yesterday with a wagon train where the lead horse got taken out by Indians. I was an old John Wayne movie called Hondo. I caught it yesterday on one of the DirecTV channels.

--- End quote ---

Dang!  I like Hondo!  I try to put all the John Wayne movies on my DVR list - I must have missed that one.  Hondo has some good fight scenes.

Abilene:

--- Quote from: joec on November 07, 2011, 02:46:15 PM ---I've noticed that myself but did see a western yesterday with a wagon train where the lead horse got taken out by Indians. I was an old John Wayne movie called Hondo. I caught it yesterday on one of the DirecTV channels.

--- End quote ---
I recently watched Ulzana's Raid with Burt Lancaster, where the Apache took out one of the horses pulling a wagon to stop it.  Guess the Indians knew better than the stage robbers in all those other westerns  ;D

Chev. William:
My guess the cost of injuring one or more horses in a Movie generated Rules that said NO,NO, NO!
What I have seen is there are Several 'takes' for each scene that are combined in the cutting room edits so i twould go through horses fast.  and some of the Early Movies DID injure horses in the shooting.

Chev. William

Advertisers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version