GENERAL TOPICS > Books & Movies

Ride with the Devil

<< < (3/4) > >>

Highlander999:
I really enjoyed the movie.  It appeared pretty accurate, and showed lots of the "Racial/Ethnic" Discriminations on both sides. 

The Dutchies (as the Deutch were referred to in the movie) were not liked by the locals and harrassed beyond belief.  Before you can comment on the "sympathy to the Bushwhackers".  The RedLegs were not free of their guilt in the meanness that went on either.  All sides were equal in my opinion as to their mean acts.  The Border war wasn't really a war but more just plain hatred between different peoples.

I do believe the movie did help people understand some of the underpinnings of the feelings on both sides.

The Elderly Kid:
I agree. When the Dutchie Jake (a pre-Spiderman Tobey Maguire) risks his own safety to persuade his Bushwhacker companions to spare his Redleg childhood friend and they grudgingly accede, the Redleg goes home and immediately murders Jake's father. It was that mean on the Kansas-Missouri border.

Hess Coakley:
Excellent movie. As to realism, I expect it in the newer movies however, I can allow it to side a bit in older movies.

Advertising:

Rawhidesmith:
One of my favorite movies! Really loved the music. It set the mood.

1961MJS:
Hi
I bought the DVD a year or so ago and finally watched it over Xmas.  That was a damn fine movie and well done.  Those were crazy times and I think that they got worse during "Reconstruction".  The quotes are because from I could tell there wasn't much reconstructing going on except for do it yourself.

Later

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version