Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

Gettin' 70 grains of powder under my bullet.

(1/4) > >>

Dick Dastardly:
Please note, I said my bullet.  The Big Lube™ 45-70 MkII 500 grain twin lube grove one.  I've been frustrated trying to get enough powder under my long range bullets to make the 1000 yard trip without running out of ladder on my Lee Shaver long range soule sight.  My bullets were graphing at just under 1200 fps.

I took careful note at the last match I shot and observed several shooters that were engraving rifling when they chambered their bullets.  So, I tried that and was able to seat the bullet out far enough that I could get 70 grains of powder under the bullet.  The top lube grove is outside the case and so this wouldn't be a good hunting solution because that lubed ring would pick up dirt.  But for long range shootn', it's just fine.

Also, I wanted a bit better ignition so as to not have to use expesive Swiss powder.  This I got by using large pistol primers, .5cc SR4759 and a top load of 4cc of FFFg black powder.  I put on a 1/16" Circle Fly fiber wad and compressed the column.  Then, I was able to thumb seat the bullet to the exact height needed to engage the rifling.

If I put a loaded round in the gun and want to extract it without shooting, the bullet stays in the rifling and I have to push it out with a ramrod.  Like I said, not a good hunting round.

Now, I'm getting 1360 fps, a very clean barrel and great accuracy.  The Big Lube™ design hauls so  much lube that the inside of the barrel stays wet and there's a nice lube star on the muzzle.  I've not shot it at a Thousand yards yet, but I'm thinkn' I'll now have enough ladder to get there without needing to hold over the top of the target like I did before.  From tests out to 300 yards it looks like blow tubes and wiping between shots will be a thing of the past.

So,  for any of you pards that are shooting this big spire point bullet, this may be a possible solution to getting to the far targets with enough energy to stay inside the ladder travel.

DD-DLoS

Fox Creek Kid:

--- Quote ---This I got by using large pistol primers...
--- End quote ---

I'd be careful here, D.D. Pistol primers are shorter than rifle primers hence they will have a longer run at the breech face and can crater it in no time flat.

Dick Dastardly:
Thanks Kid,

I  asked about that at Lodi.  The answer was that many of the latest developments to get better consistancy in the burn, in the long range discipline, was to use large pistol primers.  This isn't for smokeless fad heathen powder loads, but black powder loads.  It should be noted that the SR4759 is well under 10% of the bp load.  I'm not going to tease the dragon with an original Remington Rolling Block rifle.  The action was the original in a very old Spanish 43.  That action is not up to very tall pressures.

My experience with RP, *- & WW 45-70 brass in this load gives no cratering or flattened primers in my gun.  I'd caution anybody else using this load to look for primer problems and if seen, discontinue using the LP primers.  FWIW, I'm using CCI 300 primers.

I like the extremely smooth burn, less than sharp recoil, great consistancy (SD under 12 fps) and very clean burn.  My powder is the cheepest I can find.  Dragon/LIDU FFFg.  With a burn this clean and efficent I'm not even tempted to try any of the "premium" powders.  My guess is that the Five grain "sparkplug" being lit by a large pistol primer gives a good flame front that runs right thru the compressed black powder.  The burn is very complete with little of the flying sparks commonly seen in front of bp rifles and pistols.

I  don't know how to quantify it, but it seems that there is slightly less smoke with this load than the same bp only load.  However, there's still plenty of smoke to satisfy even the most warthog bp shooter.

I'll  report more after I gain more experience with this load.

DD-DLoS

Advertising:

Lone Oak:
Howdy DD,
Lots of shooters are using LP primers w/o any problems. Another way some gain consistancy is to put a newsprint wad over the primer, under the powder, I never tried that myself but may give it a go in '07 and see.

It doesn't take much smokeless under the black to really clean the fouling from the bore-if duplex loading with smokeless is allowed for the match.

Are you going to make it to Ackley Iowa this spring for the buffalo shoot? Lots of fun...

Lone Oak

Wolfgang:
Dick, . . thanks for the informatiive post.  I can't get nearly 70 gr. into my Black Hills .45-70 brass. Ok for shooting modest ranges in my Husqvarna SxS, but when I build a Buffalo Gun I figure to go to .45-90 so as to get as much in as they did in the .45-70s back in the days of the original baloon head case.  I'm thinkin' of using a military Rolling Block to build on as it'd be so nice to have an  "original" buffalo gun.  Poor man's buffalo gun as compared to a Sharps.  No need for doing them big ( .45-2 7/8 in. ) cartridges unless one was really gonna shoot buffalo all day!

My Husqvarna at : DrBurkholter.com/cf9.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version