Author Topic: Cimarron's new American model!  (Read 80317 times)

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Cimarron's new American model!
« Reply #340 on: February 16, 2024, 02:29:08 PM »
It will load .44 S&W Special cases loaded with common 200 or 240gr. .44 RNFP profile with no problem. Mine eats 200gr. RNL out  of .44S&W Russian cases hitting point-of-aim at 10 yards. No whinning here. ;D 
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lettow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #341 on: February 16, 2024, 07:25:47 PM »
Lettow,

Will your revolver still load a 44 Spec casing (ie will it handle a 44 spec, properly)?

Or

Will it only handle 44 Colt length cartridges?

I pulled it out today and tried some HSM 44 Special 240 gr lead semi-wadcutter and it went in just fine.  Cylinder is marked .44 Colt on the rear face.

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #342 on: February 16, 2024, 08:34:06 PM »
Lettow,

Yes, it may fully seat a crimped bullet, like my 2001 44Colt OP, but will it fully seat a sized 44 spec empty casing?  My 44 Colt marked OP would not fully seat the empty 44 spec casing therefore it was not safe to fire 44 Spec's.  It was specific for 44 Colt and 44Rus, only.

I hope that is not true with these newer American models because I want a 44 spec but will mainly shoot 44Rus.  But want, the full compliment of 44's to work through it, if I like.
Black River Smith

Advertising

« Reply #343 on: Today at 02:08:39 PM »

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #343 on: February 17, 2024, 03:38:17 PM »
Thinking about it marking a Smith and Wesson especially an American .44 Colt should be a sin. FWIW the original Russian cartridge used a 275 grain outside lubricated bullet. The cartridge as we know it now didn’t come out until the late 1880’s.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1677
« Reply #344 on: February 18, 2024, 11:56:27 PM »
      Greetings, All!

Honestly, I'd be delighted if they'd just offer to chamber it for the .44S&W 'Russian'; it should be more accurate than having a "mongrel chamber" designed to shoot cartridges that this revolver was never designed to shoot.
   Think about it: An Old Model #3 chambered for the .44S&W 'Russian' ( I believe collectors called them "Old Old Model Russians" ), an original configuration. Now, as an OPTION, I think that would be wonderful!

M.T.M.
                         2-18-24

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: February 19, 2024, 09:25:37 AM »
      Greetings, All!

Honestly, I'd be delighted if they'd just offer to chamber it for the .44S&W 'Russian'; it should be more accurate than having a "mongrel chamber" designed to shoot cartridges that this revolver was never designed to shoot.
   Think about it: An Old Model #3 chambered for the .44S&W 'Russian' ( I believe collectors called them "Old Old Model Russians" ), an original configuration. Now, as an OPTION, I think that would be wonderful!

M.T.M.
                         2-18-24

I totally agree with you.  But it was stated 3 years back, I believe, here in this thread, that that would not be available.  A true 1st Model Russian would be very nice to have and in my mind that is sort of what we are getting in the 44 Chambers.  But my comments above and on the previous page was a WARNing.

I am concerned that a person would put a 44Spec into a 44Colt cut chamber and then over-pressure-it, to BLOW-up.

That all.

The overall question is --- Why does Uberti have two different barrel markings for the 44? And also   Why is Lettow's cylinder marked 44 Colt?  Just does not make sense and we have too few sample guns to come up with an explanation.

BRS
Black River Smith

Offline Lettow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: February 19, 2024, 10:52:40 AM »
Lettow,

Yes, it may fully seat a crimped bullet, like my 2001 44Colt OP, but will it fully seat a sized 44 spec empty casing?  My 44 Colt marked OP would not fully seat the empty 44 spec casing therefore it was not safe to fire 44 Spec's.  It was specific for 44 Colt and 44Rus, only.

I hope that is not true with these newer American models because I want a 44 spec but will mainly shoot 44Rus.  But want, the full compliment of 44's to work through it, if I like.

i can't locate my new 44 special brass right now but found 6 fired cases of different manufacture.  They fit the chambers fine.  Also, I checked the cylinder length and it's 1.556".

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #347 on: February 19, 2024, 01:00:33 PM »
  Ditto...once fired .44 S&W Special cases fit. Cylinder face has four stamping's around the circumference. The new Uberti octagon barrel face logo, the serial number, 44COLT and on mine; IT2023. Not sure, but guess that would be a production date code possibly. Only Rome knows for sure.   
   Third match since it finally arrived in mid-December and still no misses.  ;D
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lettow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: February 19, 2024, 02:00:24 PM »
  Ditto...once fired .44 S&W Special cases fit. Cylinder face has four stamping's around the circumference. The new Uberti octagon barrel face logo, the serial number, 44COLT and on mine; IT2023. Not sure, but guess that would be a production date code possibly. Only Rome knows for sure.   
   Third match since it finally arrived in mid-December and still no misses.  ;D

The cylinder on mine is marked the same way but the code is IT2021.

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: February 19, 2024, 02:21:24 PM »
The original OOM Russian was simply marked Russian Model on the barrel rib with no other caliber marking. The Russian cartridge had about 100 feet per second and about 100 foot pounds of energy over the heel based American cartridge with less powder and a heavier bullet.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: February 19, 2024, 06:52:38 PM »

i can't locate my new 44 special brass right now but found 6 fired cases of different manufacture.  They fit the chambers fine.  Also, I checked the cylinder length and it's 1.556".

Thanks for verifying everything.  That is good to know.  But still seems silly for Uberti to change the barrel stamping unless something broke or the original long version was taking extra time.

Have fun shooting yours.
Black River Smith

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2024, 01:47:41 PM »
I agree with the caliber marking confusion. They could have simply marked it .44 special and been done with it. As hard as reloading components are to get it’s nice to have an option. Given the slow decline of our shooting sport I am surprised that they made the American at all. While it is not perfect I am thankful to have the two I have. I enjoy them immensely.

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: February 24, 2024, 01:18:34 PM »
Smith and Wesson wrote UMC asking why Russian ammunition cost more than American ammunition. UMC replied that Russian ammunition used Berdan primers which they had to pay a royalty on and that they were loaded with pistol powder. That implies the American cartridges were loaded with something else. The 60 grs difference in bullet weight was not mentioned.

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: March 01, 2024, 02:12:02 PM »
Reading Logan’s and Pate’s books I’m surprised at the number of people on the frontier that wanted to carry two Americans. The Americans were much quicker to reload than the C&B revolvers. Just proves the old adage that the quickest way to reload a revolver is to have another one already loaded.

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: March 02, 2024, 12:35:56 PM »
Looking through my books some people ordered Russian cylinders for their American models. Reasons being that they could shoot either cartridge, it was easier to reload, they liked the cartridge better, or it was easier to obtain.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1677
« Reply #355 on: March 03, 2024, 10:21:16 PM »
      Greetings!

Cabela's at Charleston WV. Used Guns ( Gun Library ).

M.T.M.
                   3-03-24

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: March 05, 2024, 07:27:47 AM »
-and here's the link:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101518617

(since the shop identifies it as an "Uberti Schofield", I would verify the caliber which is stated as ".44 Colt".)

I think it's missing about three inches of barrel....but that's just me, I guess...?
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #357 on: March 05, 2024, 07:42:57 AM »
The Barrel is stamped 44 Colt  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #358 on: March 07, 2024, 09:13:48 AM »
Well, I'm back from my family emergency trip, and will be going to work tomorrow.  I plan on checking the American for markings (box says .44 Special).  I'll take 44 Special and .44 colt brass to check the cylinder.  I'll post pictures in a coupe days.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #359 on: March 08, 2024, 08:25:03 PM »
Checked mine, and it is marked "44 Russian" the under it "Smith & Wesson Special". I checked, and it chambers .44 Special brass.  I checked ejection with my .44 Colt brass, and it ejected fine, despite its smaller rims. Good news, as I will pair it with one of my Anderson 1860 .44 Colt only conversions.  It fits my Oklahome Leather California Slim Jim holster perfectly.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com