Author Topic: Guns In The Hills, Midwest Regional  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Dan Topper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Guns In The Hills, Midwest Regional
« on: June 09, 2020, 10:41:29 PM »
The National Congress of Old West Shootist, Midwest Regional, Guns In The Hills is almost upon us. It will be held Friday, July 17th through Sunday, July 19th.  This is the ninth year of this event, and we hope to make it even more fun than last year.  Guns In The Hills has been described as a “premier match not to be missed” by one of the previous year’s attendees, and we hope that you will come and see for yourself. 

We will feature free side matches on Friday the 17th at the main range. I am happy to say that we will have long range shooting this year! On Saturday, the first six of ten stages will be shot. The remaining stages will be shot Sunday, followed by awards after lunch.

All NCOWS categories will be offered for this regional match.  Full descriptions of these categories can be found on the NCOWS web site at www.ncows.org.

Any questions can be directed to the match director Dan Topper at spanton@frontiernet.net, or 715-246-6218. Our Website is https://wowsinc.org/ and applications can be found there.

Friday night at the range will feature a “cowboy picnic” supper and a chance to get to know other shooters.  A banquet will be held Saturday evening at the Stout Ale House in Menomonie.  This year we will be having a buffet supper instead of ordering individual meals. We hope this change will speed the banquet along.

With the concerns over COVID 19, we offer the following advice. The Wisconsin Old West Shootists Board members have evaluated ways to organize the shoot and stages in a way that will encourage safe distancing. We also strongly recommend everyone wear a visor/mask/bandana at all times on the range.  With use of physical distancing, visors / masks / bandanas, common sense, and lots of hand sanitizer, we believe we can offer those who wish to come out to shoot the opportunity to do so while minimizing the health risks involved.

If you are not feeling well or are uncomfortable with coming, don't put yourself or others at risk.  If you show up and appear sick, we reserve the right to ask you to leave the range. We will do our best as a Board to plan the event to deal with the complexity of factors involved, but each individual will need to make a decision based on his/her judgment of the risks and responsibilities involved in attending.

Come and enjoy the shooting experience at the NCOWS Midwest Regional, Guns In The Hills! I hope to see you there.

The following Website lists information regarding hotels and facilities in Menominee WI. https://www.menomoniechamber.org/56383-2/

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Guns In The Hills, Midwest Regional
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 02:44:07 PM »
Thanks Topper  ;D  I was afraid this shoot would be cancelled like so many other activities have been this year.  I'm planning on being there with my grandsons. I believe Johnny McCrea is planning on coming up also.  Should be a great time.  See you all there!  :D

Reed "Two-Bit Charlie" Van Ness

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 06:49:47 PM »
Since Two Bit Charlie is attending, I might just try to make it, too.  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:58:03 PM »

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 08:48:31 PM »
wow a real shoot, hopefully we can all make it

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 09:48:54 AM »
Attached is an article about the 2016 NCOWS Midwest Regionals that appeared in the Shootist  a few years ago. I posted this article because it mentions things like Beartooth Billy shooting a clean match using firearms that are all over 100 years old.and Red Lodge Rambler loading an 1858 Remington on the clock.

I've been to six of the last eight Midwest Regionals. I'm going to do my best to attend this one.

Please click on this link for a slide show of the 2016 MWR: https://s278.photobucket.com/user/jvsaffran/slideshow/2016%2520NCOWS%2520Midwest%2520Regionals
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Dan Topper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 07:02:26 PM »
Thanks everyone. Johnny I sure appreciate the posting of the article and those pictures sure turned out nice. I am looking forward to everyone coming out to shoot with us. I hope to see you soon. 

Offline Dan Topper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »
It has come to my attention that I have an incorrect phone number on the registration form. That's what I get for reusing another form. If you need to contact me regarding the shoot, the last four numbers are 6218. I would update form but that probably won't happen for a couple of days at the soonest.

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 08:42:06 PM »
Sorry, between a rock & a hard spot! Conflicts with local shoot. 3x shoots cancelled already, 4x remaining. Although it would be safer for me to attend, I need to support my club.
Brian

Offline Dan Topper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 08:47:00 PM »
I am looking for registrations and am missing some of you who said you would be coming. Please get your information in to me, even if you email me the form. I need to make some final counts very soon.

Looking forward to see you at the range.

Offline Dan Topper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 04:25:49 PM »
We should have the stages and schedule of events on our web site shortly, if they aren't there already.

We have a change in long range. Because the long range has moved to out regular range area we will be running it on Friday morning. Start time is 8 a.m. We will have new release forms for everyone to fill out prior to shooting. The rest of registration will be starting at noon.

See the schedule for more details.

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 08:46:09 AM »
I don't do any cowboy shooting these days, but sure wish the organizers of this match all the best. It is clear that a great deal of thought has gone into making it "safe" in these uncertain times.
I work part-time at our local shooting range, owned by Otero County, in La Luz, NM. Most shooters are willing to do their part to keep things safe, but a few have walked out after being told we have to take their temperature and they must answer three simple virus questions.
I know your shooters will be ready and willing to comply.

Offline Dan Topper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 04:56:41 PM »
Sorry to be so late to post this. But, thanks to everyone who showed up and shot with us. We had a great time at the Midwest Regional. Attendance was a little down but we still had 25 shooters, out of 28 registered. I would have liked to see more shooters, but the numbers were probably best considering the situation. Pictures are up on Facebook and there are several great ones posted there. Thanks Annie.

Now my excuse for the late "thank you" to all who did make it out. On the Saturday of the Regional weekend, we had a lightening strike that took out the modem for my computer. It left the wireless portion for a couple days and then that stopped too. Got the new modem in and found out my computer lost its Ethernet port too. Port is attached to the mother board. Took in to see what they could do and they will configure for a remote Ethernet port, Meanwhile I am using the clubs old scoring computer and slowly recovering my passwords as I can.  Should be back to my old computer in a day or two.  I am so glad this didn't happen before the Regional.

Thanks again everyone and I hope we can see you there next year.

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 01:55:35 PM »
Had a great time as always, thanks to everyone who makes this happen.
Still eating that great Wisconsin cheese iol

BTB
Born 110 years too late

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com