Author Topic: Tracking history of a spencer 1865 that was used by Indians in last raid in kans  (Read 902 times)

Offline Loyd

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
This carbine was fired by Indians till out of ammo then dumped in hay stack. Passed down every since.

Offline Shenandoah

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
not sure what you're talking about. no pictures, o links?

Offline Reginald

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This carbine was fired by Indians till out of ammo then dumped in hay stack. Passed down every since.
Where did you read this information?

Advertising

Offline Loyd

• Citizen
  • Liked:
I have pictures of carbine and of headstones at memorial in kanas. Just not techie enuff to put on post. But gun was handed down to oldest son from then on. Last person that could give story about it passed on at like 101 years old. Charlie janousek was his name.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1161
I have pictures of carbine and of headstones at memorial in kanas. Just not techie enuff to put on post. But gun was handed down to oldest son from then on. Last person that could give story about it passed on at like 101 years old. Charlie janousek was his name.

Unfortunately, most verbal family stories are just that... stories with no evidence.

I myslef have a pair of .32 pistols "takenfrom two drunk cowboys  by Great Granduncle  Wiley, sherif of a Kansas town
who got shot through the hat for his trouble" .

When I searched for facts we found the pistols came from a pawn shop in Chicago.

and the only verifieable info on the great granduncle was that he ran a grocers store in yet another state...
just a little reality check

prf mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Print the legend...

Offline Loyd

• Citizen
  • Liked:
It is all written down and there were several new articles at the time.  When my father visited out there and showed all the letters from surviving members of family the curator from museum wanted the gun for some Indian museum and my dad lost his temper as the gun was used by the Indians to kill our family so dad didn't really care much for them. Raised that way I guess.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1161
Loyd, thank you for your further info, and PM indicating the existance of a family diary from the era.

These types of documents, when linked together with other accounts, form the “provenance”
Of a historical item.

These go beyond the sort of thing that is often brought to me as “proof” … for example, a copy of an old typewritten or handwritten
Note from “grandpa” claiming that “this famous guy” gave me “this item” , with no other documentation.

The communtiy has become skeptical due to the number items that have been faked, all the way from Bat Masterson selling  many many
Colt revolvers as “the gun I carried as a lawman” to “Sitting Bull” selling “little bighorn bows and arrows” , and many people claiming original walker revolvers…..

BTW there is documented evidence of Bat selling pistols in this manner, and of Sitting Bull selling autographs and tourist bows and arrows,
Some of which were later claimed to be war troohys by the new owners.

Yhs
Prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 424
Zerelda James Samuel, Jessie James's mother was known to sell rusty, broken revolvers as authentic.
  She supplemented her income claiming they were Jessie's own gun's
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Loyd

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Thanks for the reply and I like the information on the fake and history.  I like learning history but yes I have heard many tall tails. My fathers mother always told me that one of our relatives was the man who caught,  rode, and released the strawberry roan. I do have the saddle that was used in Oklahoma land race but my dad's sister has saddle bags and stamp.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com