Author Topic: reloads  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
reloads
« on: February 26, 2006, 10:25:59 AM »
 Ok, I've a question or two about reloads, I've gutted a  Winchester Colt factory round and found 6.0 grs of what I assume to be 231 Winchester powder. I am useing Hodgdon Tite Group in my "old model" Vaqueros now, and would like to use the same in my Winchester '94 Trail's End. Thus far I have only shot "factory loads" through the rifle. Should I try to duplecate the factory load with titegroup, or just follow the reloading instructions that Hodgdon gives? the problem stems from the fact that I have 200 & 250 gr. bullets for reloading and the factory loaded round is 255gr. and of course two diffrent powder brands, not to mention the assumtion that the factory load is 231 and not another type of Winchester powder.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: reloads
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 10:59:29 AM »
Making assumptions isn’t a good idea when it comes to gathering data on this subject.  Neither is visual identification of powder.

You should be able to develop a load for either of the bullets you say you have on hand using Hodgdon powder and their loading data.  If you stay within the data provided by Hodgdon the only worry you should have is whether or not what you’ve assembled will feed in the rifle.  Otherwise, you'll run the risk of damage to the firearms and/or bodily injury.

Reloading is fun but it's also serious business.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com