Author Topic: Shot My New NMNs  (Read 9504 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Shot My New NMNs
« on: October 03, 2005, 08:22:49 PM »
I recently had Kenny Howell sleeve a couple Ubeti NMAs to .357 for me. Turned 'em into NMN's. He sent 'em back with new drop-in cylinders in .38 spl. OK, so I got 'em all slicked up and took 'em to the match last weekend. I shot Double Duelist with them and came in 1st in my class (OK, OK, so I was the only one shooting DD). I did come in 2nd in Duelist since there were others shooting that and 7th overall out of some 36 shooters. Not the fastest gun in the West, but certainly not bad for the first time I shot them at a match. They performed flawlessly and I only missed one target in the final standings. I'm stoked. Those things really shoot. Here's a pic of one.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Shot My New NMNs
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 11:41:51 PM »
Alas, no. The gap between the cylinder and barrel would need to be opened up some for that and since they're tack nailers I just don't want to mess with them. I guess I'll have to buy another pair, now. ;D

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 12:36:13 AM »
Any excuse to buy more guns.....

My kinda guy.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:06:14 AM »

Offline Reb Tyree

• Bvt Lt. Col (SFC) Reb Tyree, CSA Chief of Staff Dept of the Pacific, GAF
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 12:52:49 AM »
Now that's what I call a mighty fine shooting iron!  Marshal, What no stag grips?

Yos,
Bvt Capt Reb Tyree
I have the Honor to remain,

Your Obedient Servant,

(SFC) Bvt Lt. Col Reb Tyree, CSA
Chief of Staff, Dept of the Pacific,
Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 08:46:48 AM »
Mighty fine pistol, but it's a shame to not shoot BP in it.  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 10:04:58 AM »
Now that's what I call a mighty fine shooting iron!  Marshal, What no stag grips?

Yos,
Bvt Capt Reb Tyree
None.Yet. LOL

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 10:05:52 AM »

Slim

Yeah, but they're dialed in fine for heathen powder.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 10:24:34 AM »

Slim

Just tryin' to convert ya.  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 06:04:51 PM »

Slim

Just tryin' to convert ya.  ;D

Slim

No problem. I may switch over one day. Trouble is, then I'd have to get even more pistols. Hmmmm, not a bad idea....

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 10:12:53 PM »
That's real purty Marshal!   8)

...then he'll have to get even more pistols.   Poor feller!   ::)   :D   ;)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Williewheelgun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 08:03:58 PM »
Sure purty.  I have four Uberti '58 Remmies.  The last two I bought were intended for Kirst Konversion cylinders (.45 Colt) and black powder.  It has taken 9 months to get a Kirst Konversion cylinder for one of the guns that would (apparently) work. 

After much frustration, I took them to the range today along with a brass drift, hammer, and file to get them to POA.  Well, they shoot POA right out of the box.  Wonderful.  The trouble gun though ain't workin right.  Although I cock the hammer and then attempt to turn the cylinder so it should be 'bolted' up, the firing pin hits outside the primer on some rounds!  The ones that fire hit dead center.

I obviously cannot use this gun in competition until I solve this problem.  You Remmie shooters have any ideas?

Thanks,

Willie

Offline Oldelm

• Vietnam Vet 66-67
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 10:44:24 PM »
Hi Willie,....

Did you ever have problems with the gun when shooting percussion?  Given that the same gun was shooting ok with proper timing and full ignition when using cap & ball percussion cylinder,... the problem may be with the Kirst cylinder. Try swaping the Kirst from the one that shoots ok into the "trouble gun", and see if the problem still occurs. If not, the problem is with that Kirst cylinder, in which case it may be a Kirst for Pietta Remington, instead of Uberti,...just a thought , but I'm not even sure a Pietta Kirst would fit into a Uberti Rem frame.
At any rate,...you may have to send the cylinder back to Kirst, or better yet send them your entire Remington you'd like it to function in.  I'm sure they'd be happy to straighten things out.

Have you been having problems for 9 months with Kirst,.....with this one gun? 

Offline Williewheelgun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 09:58:09 AM »
Well, long story.  I bought the two 5 1/2" '58 Remmies to shoot cartridge BP.  I ordered the Kirst cylinders from Buffalo Arms in Sandpoint, Idaho (great people by the way).  One cylinder functioned as advertised, the other did not.  I assumed it was the gun and returned it for a replacement.  When I had the same problem, I sent the cylinder to Walt Kirst.  By the way, I measured them both as well as finding the 'U' stamped on the cylinder.  Walt said he worked on it and returned it.  It did not work.  I took both guns and cylinders to my 'smith'.  He checked out the guns and was quite sure it was the cylinder.
I sent it to Buffalo Arms and asked them to intervene.  I recieved a replacement Kirst cylinder within a couple days.  As I said, these are great people.  The new cylinder seemed to function correctly - that is until I took it to the range. 
The good cylinder works okay in all four Uberti's I have.
I think I will send them both to Cook's Gunsmithing in Oregon City, Oregon.  He is the closest Remmie expert.
I will get through this, I just didn't think it would take a year.
Willie

Offline Oldelm

• Vietnam Vet 66-67
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 07:52:04 PM »
Willie,.......
 Interesting story. Glad to hear you've had good interactions with Buffalo Arms, as I'm about to do some business with them.
When your smith said he thought the problem was with the cylinder, ....what , if anything, did he say was wrong with the cylinder? Seems like it is such a major problem for a cylinder to be so far out of battery that the firing pin strikes outside the primer, that the problem would be quite obvious, or at least easily able to troubleshoot. Seems to me that Walt Kirst should fix this,...the dealers are just middlemen, and you shouldn't have to take the new conversion cylinder to your gunsmith to get it to work. I think Walt Kirst should have had the cylinder AND the gun it was going to be used in, to look at them both together. Then the problem would have been right there with him so see and remedy. Probably the combination of that particular gun & cylinder just don't quite mechanically mesh together yet,......might just need a little tweaking here or there.

Good luck with it,...you're a patient man.    8)

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Come sit by the fire and I'll tell ya a story.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Author-Member Western Writers of America
    • Walt Lange Word Slinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 07:26:49 PM »
Willie,

It seems that this is not just your iron.   That was the reason I went with R&D with my Peitta '58, my shooting pard and gunsmith recommended that I go R&D because he has had the same problems.   We were at a match and after he worked on his gun and the cylinder it happened again mid-match, luckily it happened at the loading bench, it would not full index on every bore and he hot trotted back to the cart and brought out his back up.    I like the basic design and idea of the Kirst, but until I stop hearing this same story I will stay with R&D.  
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 12:35:17 AM »
I'd get in touch with Kirst, they will make it right.  I've heard more than one story of this happening, and the shooter sent the gun and cylinder in to the company, and they custom fitted the cylinder to the gun.  I know you dont want to be without the gun, but if you dont shoot it as a cap n ball anyway, then you aint out much.  Give Kirst a call.  I'm sure they will do the right thing.  I've yet to hear an unsatisfied customer from either them or R&D.  Both have excellent customer service.

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 04:23:33 PM »
Hey Marshal what ever propells the boolit from the muzzel to the target!! Black Powder or smokless the issue is did you enjoy yourself? If so ya done good!!! 
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com