Special Interests - Groups & Societies > STORM

'51 front sight

(1/2) > >>

Dirty Dan Dawkins:
Is this a common problem: The front brass bead sight on a '51 Navy bending  or moving. I have had to adjust mine from time to time. Easy to do either by pushing or a SMALL ballpeen hammer and a punch. BUT I fnd it bends after firing, due to heat in barrel I suppose. Is there a remedy for this and was it common to replace this with a blade type sight? How could this be achieved? Also, what style grips could replace the flaired out Pietta grips? I was shooting high as well ( about 6 inches at 35 feet. Easily remedied by powder load, but opted for filing rear sight down on hammer to keep full charge (important on reactive targets I have found). A great point and shoot gun. All in all a regret free purchase.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black:
I had a small dovetail sight installed on my '51 and my Navy Richard Masons.

Dirty Dan Dawkins:
Nice! Simple job of dovetailing the barrel ,eh? I thought that's all it'd take, just wanted to see if it was my only option. Thanks! :D

Advertising:

Smokin Gun:
A friend did it this way, I'm gonna try it if the rear site filing ain't enough...

If you didn't want to go through the work involved with cutting the barrel for a dovetailed site, you could consider silver soldering a brass cone, which I did with my '62 Pocket Police.

I took a piece of brass welding rod about 3" long and hollowed out a cone shaped recess in one end with a cone shaped Dremel mill bit.

That recess conformed pretty much to receive the small factory cone bead on the barrel. I ground the new site into a rough cone, but left it attached to the 3" piece of brass rod (so I could hold it better), then cut it off once it was soldered in place. I heated the factory sight for soldering with a small, focused butane torch, so as not to damage the bluing, then before final shaping with fine files, I wrapped around the barrel/new sight with masking tape so as not to scratch the barrel.

It worked pretty good. The new sight is solid, and its height , combined with filing a deeper notch in the hammer rear sight,.... has really helped it shoot more to point of aim.

Major 2:
That's a new one on me ....Heat from the barrel ,
I would think the Holstering and un-holstering might do it, in a tight holster.

Is the bead itself bent or moving in the recessed hole ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version