Author Topic: AA Winchester Shells  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
AA Winchester Shells
« on: April 26, 2021, 12:54:07 PM »
I only use Winchester AA shells for both SASS and NCOWS. I recently acquired some gray AA shells. Are they any different then the red AA Shells? Can I reload them the same as the red AA shells? Can I mix them in with the red AA shells with out a problem?

Reed "Two-Bit Charlie" Van Ness

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: AA Winchester Shells
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 06:33:59 PM »
They are the same. AAs come in several colours; The most common is red, but grey is next. I usually select differing colours for different loads, i.e. Red for 7/8 or 1 oz. practise & competition, and Grey for 1 1/8 oz. handicap. I had some red with very low brass heads. I used some of these for #9 shot for some small Sporting Clay targets. Once I found a box or two of dark red which I loaded up 1 1/4 oz of #6 for field use. I think they made some up in black?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 10:50:16 AM »
Thanks for the info Sir Charles. I may keep the grays for black powder.

Reed "Two-Bit Charlie" Van Ness

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:16:11 AM »

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 10:32:22 PM »
I find that Remington shells load similarly to the AAs, especially with BP. I settled on the Remington Nitro 27s for BP. The gold colour simulated brass hulls. Then I bought some real brass hulls.

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 08:57:55 AM »

I also have found that both the AA'S and the STS hulls work just fine with black powder. Maybe it is just me but it seems the Remington's hold up a bit better.

Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 10:25:11 AM »
I also found that STS shells (And other RP shells) slip out easier with the jerk-eject move. At least with the Baikal hammergun I used for years.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 09:42:52 AM »

I also have found that both the AA'S and the STS hulls work just fine with black powder. Maybe it is just me but it seems the Remington's hold up a bit better.

Lucky

AA hulls changed somewhere around 20 years ago and have never been as good since. There was big discussion with the trap shooters back then during the change.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 09:48:31 AM »
The WW one piece hulls were much better than the thinner ones they use today. They are thicker as they go toward the brass base and resist wrinkling if you do the final crimp too hard. Hold up better to multiple reloadings too.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 08:18:35 AM »

:) The Fire  ;)

I have found my Brass Colour shotgun hulls hold up very well to multiple reloadings.  Especially with Black Powder and Subs.  Oh, WAIT!!  My Brass Colourd hulls are actually . . . . ALL BRASS.  No Wrinkling or Crinkling at all (unless some hamhock steps on 'em).  Oh Schucks . . . .

This contribution holds no real additional information for the OP at all.  Completely off the cuff.  Entirely immaterial.  Should one and all choose to ignore this missive I wouldn't be at a all insulted.  In fact, I'd probably ignore it myself.  If, However, your reading this part . . . IT'S TOO LATE!!  Your already HERE (Snicker snicker snort)

Stay Safe Out There One and All

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 08:47:18 AM »
Mr. Coffinmaker, don’t know, I might could wrinkle them. Snicker, snort. But seriously, do they work with that cursed smokeless stuff that doesn’t foul yer firearm and eat them up with sulfer or give away yer position to the enemy? Or stink up the range or make your eyes and throat burn or obscure the desperados that need to be shot?  Snicker, snort. They would look pretty cool to use with my assortment of trench guns.  In fact I’m going to shoot my M12 riot Saturday.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 07:04:49 PM »
 :)  Biltmore Edderd  ;)

Actually, I have found, before I became enlightened, that nasty fad heathen smokeless stuff fouls too.  And, It's harder to clean than BP or, especially Subs.  It doesn't give your position to the enemy, it provides an instant smoke screen to enable one to flank those basty nasterds (Snicker).  When them ignorant desperados pop up trying to see thrush smoke, just pick 'em right off (Snicker Snort).

Some Lustrum (several in fact) Us Gov. actually loaded and issued All Brass hulls for the trench guns.  Unfortunately, as they weren't intended for reloading, they (the Us Gov.) rolled the case mouth to facilitate function in their (Us Gov's) Trombone guns.  They fed slicker'n'snot too.  Just a shame they rolled the case mouth.  Makes em a real PITA to reload.

I understand there are those (not me) who have in fact worked up acceptable smokeless loads for the All Brass hulls.  Magtech says not recommended for smokeless.  I think that is because the current MagTech hulls are quite similar in construction to the old "Balloon Head" pistol cartridges and the pressure spikes are quite different.  Couple of guys who contribute here have indicated they load smokeless in their MagTech hulls.  Dunno ???

Play Safe Out There

PS:  A long time ago . . . In a Galaxy far far away . . . I was known to tote a Trench Gun into the bushes.  I was actually issued All Brass Buckshot ammunition from Dubbia Dubbia and Two.  Kinda went with the Korean Conflict "C" rats we were issued too.

PSS:  I really really like your Trench Guns two (also) (Snicker Snicker giggle)   

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 01:18:40 PM »
Life is getting tougher and tougher for reloaders.  The ONLY shells still made with brass bases are Remington STS/Nitros and Winchester AAs.  The red and grey AAs are the same except for the die used in the plastic.  HOWEVER, a few months ago Winchester announced a new premium AA that is black with a nickle plated base.  That base is steel.  So the statement that AAs are brass now has to be qualified.  Every round manfactured everywhere in the world is now steel.  Some may be nickle plated, some brass plated but they are all steel.  It will be interesting to see how long Remington and Winchester continue making some brass based hulls.  What I use and a lot of people locally use for BP are Remington Gun Clubs.  They are extruded like an STS but have a steel base.  The old wive's tale about ribbed hulls sticking in chambers is mostly BS.  I run the Gun Clubs through a Mec Super Sizer before loading them with BP.  Fire them once and throw them away.  They work flawlessly.  Lots of other local shooters have the same experience.  NOW some guns don't like some shells.  No rhyme or reason some just won't shuck with a certain brand of shell.  But for the most part the Gun Clubs work extremely well once the steel bases are run through the Super Sizer.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 03:33:29 PM »
I have loaded the Gun Club shells as many a 4 times just to see how they hold up. The plastic looks pretty nasty but they still shuck and shoot just fine.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline FriscoCountyWolfy

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 29723
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2021, 04:39:41 PM »
i got enough bulged AA shells last year that I quit reloading AA.
I only load Nitro27 hulls now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com