Author Topic: A really basic nube question.  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
A really basic nube question.
« on: February 05, 2021, 07:47:42 PM »
While I have watched a few Wild Bunch stages at various annual matches in the past, I am 68 and having a senior moment, so be patient!

In a typical Wild Bunch match, of say, 5 stages.  How many pistol, rifle, and shotgun rounds are used PER STAGE?  I have seen pictures of Wild Bunch shooters with their belts festooned with half a dozen mags!  Realistically, back in 1912, a soldier  with a 1911 would only have the three magazines...

With ammo and component scarcities and high cost, I would hate to have to feed my guns if I was shooting 50 pistol rounds or so on a STAGE!  The typical 50 pistol/50 rifle/25 shotgun is sustainable in these tight supply times.

Thanks in advance.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: A really basic nube question.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 08:31:46 PM »
The last few at Plum Creek Shooting Society have been 161 pistol rounds (23 mags) over 6 stages.  And 7 to 10 rifle each stage, or maybe skip rifle on a stage.  Shotgun 6 rounds on a few stages, 4 on others.  Texican Rangers WB matches had less pistol, but their new president, Aesup Sleeve, is really big on WB and likely to up the round count.  Personally, I'm hoping they will be lowering those numbers while we are in this situation.

When WB rules changed from 5 in the mag (which was great for sharing ranges with CAS) to 7 in the mag, I figured okay fine, now there will be less mag changes.  So a stage that before had 4 mags for 20 rounds will now have 3 mags for 21 rounds.  But noooo, now it's 4 mags for 28 rounds.  Bottom line, round count for WB is considerably higher than CAS.  But it sure are fun!

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 09:07:51 PM »
Hmmmm. 161 pistol rounds in a MONTHLY match? 
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:19:10 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 05:29:26 PM »
It's not Cowboy with a 1911.
wM1
PS the most pistol rounds I have shot on a stage was 210, shot at 15 different stations.
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 07:17:59 PM »
Wild Bunch interest had all but drawn me back to SASS....
I had the 1911's  acquired a 97 trench gun...and then , the local SASS/WB boys after a match or 3  sorta quit ....that was it.

Somewhat a flash in the pan start up... To my knowledge they never held a match again ( here in Orlando)
I think they held one WB stage within a standard Cowboy shoot, to little a bit to late....
I have not looked further ....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 10:11:07 PM »
wM1
PS the most pistol rounds I have shot on a stage was 210, shot at 15 different stations.

I guess all I can say is HOLY COW!  Where was that?

Actually, tomorrow morning I AM shooting Cowboy 1911 at Plum Creek, that's what they call it.  Exact same as the cowboys, but 1911 with one mag change.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 06:01:45 AM »
I guess all I can say is HOLY COW!  Where was that?

Actually, tomorrow morning I AM shooting Cowboy 1911 at Plum Creek, that's what they call it.  Exact same as the cowboys, but 1911 with one mag change.
That was in central AZ a couple years ago. We normally shoot in southern AZ a couple times a month and the stages will have between 2 to 4 1911 mags with the current primer or ammo situation.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 12:28:04 PM »
wM1

That is more than you would shoot at a IDPA or IPSC for an entire match.

AT Railroad Flat, the Wild Bunch side match is 3 stages. 21 or 28 pistol.  10 rifle. 6 shotgun each stage.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 08:41:22 PM »
Considering I drive 130 miles one way to shoot WB I probably would not go for 3 stages.
wM1

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 09:06:07 PM »
LOL. Neither would I!  nThis is a side match, the day before the annual match.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 12:57:08 PM »
TL, at the Texas Doughboys monthly match we usually shoot 4 great stages that will usually be heavy on pistol with about 126 rounds, rifle less than 20 and shotgun less than a box.
We shoot varied and fun stages with possibly an all pistol high round count stage up to 42 rounds
A pistol 28 round along with 6 to 12 shotgun
Apistol 28 with a rifle 7-10
A pistol 28 shotgun 6 and 7 rifle. We do not stand and deliver
We do not shoot large close targets.
We do not shoot dump targets.
We always do something fun and interesting.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 01:09:44 PM »
If the wild Bunch matches continue to have 200+ pistol rounds a match, it will become an example of the hubris of the wealthy....  Primers are running $250 to $500/1,000 primers in Nor Cal, and powder $60-100 a pound.  The last 45 lead slugs I saw were $100/500.  All of that is IF you can actually find them.  I saw my first primers for sale in 4 months by a private party for 25 cents a piece! That would be $50 worth of pistol primers for just one match! I submit that most shooters can not even begin to keep up with those requirements.  I work part time in a gun shop and I can't even get access to components now!

I prepared and loaded deep early on while I could with CAS calibers, with enough for about 7 or 8 more monthly matches, and I have 20 boxes of shotgun left.  I was lucky to have 500 lead 45 ACP 230 grain slugs on hand to start, as well as about 1500 LP primers.  At those rates above, I'll be out of Wild Bunch in two matches!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 01:45:47 PM »
I think and I sure hope that supply will recover or we all will be in the same boat. I did forget to say at our monthly match we relaxed the rules so any sass legal main match rifle or a 22 leveraction or hammer pump can be used as your main match rifle and in addition to that we Have an open class to shoot 22 1911 in. We also are allowing 9mm and 38 super during these shortages with the idea to take as much pressure off of large pistol primers as possible. Also for open class any pump shotgun. I know this sounds wide open as far as rules go but we are all still shooting and having a large time.

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 01:47:46 PM »
That was in central AZ a couple years ago. We normally shoot in southern AZ a couple times a month and the stages will have between 2 to 4 1911 mags with the current primer or ammo situation.
wM1
Was that to do with Wild Bodie?

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 10:10:02 PM »
Here is a picture of the Rock Island 1911A1.  I put a set of used WW2 brown bakelite grips on it, and replaced the mainspring housing with an arched one with a lanyard ring.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 02:24:37 AM »
Looks good TL  ..

I have the Ithaca 1911 Pistol & U.S. Enger-Kress shoulder holster that was issued to the late William Roberts .
I am proud to be the current steward. 

* Circa 1945 Photo curtesy of the MUSEUM OF MILITARY HISTORY / Kissimmee Air Museum
* Bomber jacket is a reproduction

William Franklin Roberts served as a B-26 Marauder pilot with the 386th Bomb Group, 555th Bomb Squadron during World War II. He flew 50 combat missions and was in Paris on VE-Day. [* excerpt from obituary ]

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 09:54:54 AM »
When we do WB we are also doing a cas match so everyone can play. Because of that we are continuing to load 5 rds/mag. Makes the stage/target order explanations easier, the RO and spotters jobs easier and the stage easier for us [old phart] shooters as the first 10 handgun rds expended are the same for everyone. At that point, depending on the match creator the WB shooter might be done or have 5-10 more targets to engage. Depending on the number of shooters the rd count can be adjusted to keep us from running too long. We have folks who come from Va to play, I travel 125 miles each way. Good shooting.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 02:49:24 PM »
"... We have folks who come from Va to play, I travel 125 miles each way..."

and if I can swing it,  Florida ( 690 miles + or - )   :-\ =   BAMM  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com