Author Topic: CCI number 10 question  (Read 2197 times)

Offline FatherJohn

• Citizen
  • Pipes and paper cartridges
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
CCI number 10 question
« on: January 08, 2021, 09:57:02 AM »
Howdy all,

I have made the decision to get back into cap and ball, and do not want to shoot my very worn original New Model Army anymore. So, I ordered a Uberti 1860 from DGW (no idea when it will arrive.) I discovered a few tins of CCI number 10s in my stash. Will these work until I can find some Number 11s? ??? Should I change out nipples for slix shots or others? Number 11s seem to be hard to find right now.

Thanks for your help!

Fr. John
"It is alleged against me, and with perfect truth, that I stopped on the way to drink a glass of milk in one shop and to buy a revolver with cartridges in another." -G.K. Chesterton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: CCI number 10 question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 11:08:17 AM »

:)  Father John  ;)

Unfortunately, Probably not.  "Probably" not.  Worth a try. 

Slix Nipples will give you the most reliable ignition.  However, Slix are optimized for Remington #10 and will work with CCI #11.

Offline FatherJohn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 01:38:57 PM »
:)  Father John  ;)

Unfortunately, Probably not.  "Probably" not.  Worth a try. 

Slix Nipples will give you the most reliable ignition.  However, Slix are optimized for Remington #10 and will work with CCI #11.

I was afraid you were going to say that! Guess I gotta settle for hunting around for number 11 caps.

I was also considering picking up some number 10 sized nipples, and then eventually swapping out for slixshots. Just to have the capability to run number 10s if the need arises, ya know?
"It is alleged against me, and with perfect truth, that I stopped on the way to drink a glass of milk in one shop and to buy a revolver with cartridges in another." -G.K. Chesterton

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:21:25 PM »

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 04:00:10 PM »
Father John, I had some CCI #10's a few years ago and they were small enough that I couldn't find anything(Uberti or Pietta) they would fit.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 08:11:56 AM »
Rem 10s and CCI 11s are about the same. I have 8 cylinders and use CCI 10s on half of them and CCI 11s on the other half. So there are nipples out there that take CCI 10s.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 03:17:40 PM »

:)  OK Wildman   ;)

So "what" are those nipples and "Where" are they??  Your having some, only helps you.  Where'd you get the nipples that work with CCI #10??

Offline FatherJohn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 05:21:22 PM »
Coffinmaker,

RMC Ox Yoke has nipples that say they works with CCI number 10 caps.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 08:42:10 AM »
Some ten years back or so a friend and I were checking out a gun shop a ways from our normal habitation and found ten tins of CCI #10's at what was a good price. We split the ten, five each. I for the most part have always used Rem 10's, on occasion CCI #11's. Trying the CCI #10's on my stable of Uberti Colt cap guns and several Pietta's I found that none of them fit on the stock nipples. One exception, sometime back I bought a Pietta 58 Remington from a guy on another forum that came with two cylinders. Another guy on the same forum had a 58 Remington Pietta cylinder for sale so I bought that. I found that one of the cylinders for that Remington would kinda accept the CCI 10's.

All of the nipples on my other cap guns would allow the CCI 10's to fit maybe a 1/16" or so on and you'd have to really push the cap in an attempt to seat it. I didn't have the courage to try it with my fingers, used a wooden dowel, but never did fully seat one. The one Pietta 58 Remington cylinder that did 'kinda' accept them still needed some dowel persuasion to try and get it fully seated. Never did use them, still have em, figured they were to much of a PITB to deal with not to mention hazardous trying to seat on a loaded chamber. Just tried em for fit on empty chambers.

A few years ago I bought some replacement nipples for some of my capguns. Bought some Slix, Track of the Wolf (similar to Treso's), had a spare cylinder for a 51 Pietta Navy 44 that I bought that came with Treso's, and another set of Treso's. I tried for fit CCI #11's, Remington #10's, RWS 1075's, and the **CCI #10's**. All of the first three caps I mentioned had no problem with any of the replacement nipples for fit (and on the factory stock nipples), although Rem 10's are still my favorite and best IMO to use. NONE of the Slix, Track-Wolf, or Treso's wanted anything to do with the CCI #10's just as any of the factory nipples on any Uberti or Pietta revolvers. Just what I experienced with the assortment of 10 Uberti/Pietta revolvers/models I have on hand. They have some use somewhere, possibly on some of the smaller less than 36 caliber revolvers or single shots (just a guess). For now they're just taking up space in the bottom of the container I store percussion caps in.

FatherJohn---If you haven't already seen it, go to the 'Darkside' section, click on 'The Dark Arts', about 2/3 down the page there is an excellent and informative article posted by Mako (who use to post on CAS) titled "Cap Gun Primer". Very well written with pictures. It was written back when Treso's were the rage, before Slix's came around, but just as informative. CC
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline FatherJohn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 11:33:41 AM »
Will do, guess I got some reading to do!

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 08:31:36 PM »
When I first starting shooting Cap & Ball revolvers I bought #10 CCI's by mistake. I have 1000 of the little devils.
If there are nipples they will fit, i would like to know.

Wildman1; please share with us your substitutes, many of us would like to know.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 08:12:20 AM »
OK. 2 days ago I took my C&B revolvers to the range and shot 4 cylinders. I don't pay to much attention to which take which caps. I try the CCI #11's and if they don't fit snug I use the CCI #10's. Half of the cylinders I bought used from LEP and have no Idea what nipples are on them, they all work so I use them, they take the CCI #11's. They only cylinder I am absolutely positive about is the one I bought from Gander Outdoors a couple of years ago and it takes CCI #10's. CCI #11's fall off there is no way they will stay on without pinching them and I don't do that. Rem #10's will fit, sort of, when pushed on all the way they are still not snug. The OT's I am shooting are the Pietta Sheriff's Models with the Old Silver finish. They were tuned by Dragoon 45. I hadn't shot them for a year and a half and had a couple of cylinders that had been loaded for that long and had been back and forth across the country in the back of my truck so I wanted to make sure they would go boom before I used them for a match.
 So what works for me is CCI #10's on stock Pietta nipples. I can put Rem #10's on but can flick them off easily with my finger nail after seating. I seat them with a flat point piece of deer antler.
Hope that helps. If I see any of you at a shoot and you have CCI #10's I would be happy to buy them from you as long as I don't lose an arm or a leg in the process. I would also be happy to show you my cap guns and which cylinders take which caps.
wM1
I DO NOT seat my caps with my fingers.
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 08:16:42 AM »
When I first starting shooting Cap & Ball revolvers I bought #10 CCI's by mistake. I have 1000 of the little devils.
If there are nipples they will fit, i would like to know.

Wildman1; please share with us your substitutes, many of us would like to know.
Lefty where do you shoot? I see you list Maricopa county as your residence. I live in Pinal county.
wM1

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 02:18:53 PM »
Sorry my Caps are not for sale, Yet.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 05:00:31 PM »
OK. No problem I've got enough to last me for a while. Just trying to help you out.
wM1

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2021, 10:31:10 AM »
If the caps I have are too small for the nipples I polish the nipples down to fit.  Steel wool will usually remove enough metal for the smaller caps to fit, if not I'll carefully use abrasives etc.  It usually takes 30 minutes to an hour to polish and replace the nipples, depending on how tight the originals are in the cylinder.  Since I order spare nipples to fit any time I puchase or trade for a new revolver, I've usually got a spare set on hand (or on order). 

When not in use, spare nipples are strung on a wire, tagged, and safely stored away. 

In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com