CAS TOPICS > The Longbranch

Anyone pack a Colt SAA for everyday concealed carry?

(1/6) > >>

Oregon Bill:
I know -- bulky, no plastic, just five (safely carried) rounds and a murderous reload, but I am intrigued by the possibility. My late uncle, born in 1913, got to meet my great-grandfather in Denver in the early 1920s, and he showed my uncle three bullet wound scars honestly come by in the 19th century, then opened his suit coat to reveal a Colt in a shoulder holster. He had been born in Burnet, Texas, in 1856 and was a postmaster, schoolteacher, rancher and justice of the peace of Hutchinson County, Texas, over a long career.
I have been eying El Paso Saddlery's "Texas Rig" shoulder holster which Rattenbury dates to about 1880, so about the right time frame for GGF to be a young adult. He married my great-grandmother in Buffalo Gap in 1881.

Froogal:
I recently purchased a "new sheriff's model". .45 Colt. 3 1/2" barrel. Maybe I should find a shoulder holster?

Niederlander:
I remember reading an article a long time ago in which Phil Spangenberger said he carried one because it's what he used all the time.  Makes sense to me.  I've personally never been able to use shoulder holsters (I think I'm too wide through the chest), but there are other good options if you opt to carry a single action.

Advertising:

Oregon Bill:
Froogal, that'll speak with authority.  ;)
Here is El Paso's Hardin rig ...
https://epsaddlery.com/product/1895-hardin-shoulder-rig/

Professor Marvel:
Its been done!

--- Quote from: Niederlander on January 04, 2021, 04:03:03 PM ---I remember reading an article a long time ago in which Phil Spangenberger said he carried one because it's what he used all the time.  Makes sense to me.  I've personally never been able to use shoulder holsters (I think I'm too wide through the chest), but there are other good options if you opt to carry a single action.

--- End quote ---

As our Good Niederlander mentions, if it is what you always use and have the most experience with anyway, then it would make sense . 

If its all you have, then that too makes sense.

However, unless one is superhuman like the late Bob Mundan or one of the top shooters that can put 5 rounds into a coffee cup in two seconds at seven yards.....

My opinion is
“why deliberately cripple yourself with regard to an already stressful defensive combat situation?”

I have been taught, by experts, that defensive concealed carry is not a game, it is not for nostalgia, it is not a political statement. It is to defend you and your loved ones from a deliberate life-or-death attack, and you should go into it making sure you have the best equipment and training possible.

Now, after Prof Grumbles having rained on everyones parade...

I do carry a modified single action .44 magnum in either a crossdraw or shoulder rig of my own making while backpacking or hiking in bear country. My reasoning is that
if I cant talk a critter out of attacking me...
1)If I need to shoot a bear, I feel I need more power than a 9mm or .45
1a) I am trying to carry concealed otherwise for bear I would carry a long gun
2) I have practiced enough that I do not feel at a disadvantage in the woods
3) I do not expect to encounter a gang of bears so reloads should not be an issue

Sooo ... I really like any copy of the Hardin El Paso rig, but I am too cheap to buy one.
And I find them rather stiff.

my everyday preference is one of the Uncle Mike vertical Single Action Shoulder holsters.

I have one of these for everything, they are very comfortable for me, distribute the load, they are not really stiff, and with a slight modification allow me to carry an MTM flat plastic cartridge box or a leather thingy with 12 rounds in loops on the opposite side. And, oddly, they conceal well. At least for me.

As always, ymmv

Yhs
Prof Marvel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version