Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Zoot Shooters

"Bucket List" Ultimate Zoot Revolver

<< < (3/3)

Baltimore Ed:
The closest that I’ve ever come to a Python besides the zoo is its big brother, a .45lc s/s 6 inch Anaconda. Bought it almost new. A lgs had it with the blue Colt box and papers, even the po’s sales slip. I don’t remember what I paid but after getting it home I tried shooting it and found out why I got a deal. At 20 yds it was all over the target. I tried light bullets, heavy bullets, factory ammo, lead, jacketed and an assortment of charges with no luck. Hearing my tale of woe a bud gave me some plated lead .45 bullets and lo and behold it grouped. The plated bullets were .453/.454, I pulled out my very accurate 625 .45acp and started measuring both revolvers. Turned out that the freebore in the Colt cylinder was bigger than the Smith. I could see light around a .452 bullet but a .454 filled it up. I’m thinking  that the .452 bullet loads would enter the forcing cone inconsistently, deform the bullet and ruined the accuracy. From then on I would only load .454s for it and got excellent results. Used it in bowling matches along with the 625. The po probably had a similar experience and traded off the gun and the lgs marked it down thinking it was a very pretty lemon. Still have it. Beautiful revolvers.

Abilene:
I think those .45 Anacondas are worth more than the more common 44 mag guns.  But all the snakes keep going up!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version