Author Topic: follow up - heavycrust in a barrel, lesson learned  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
follow up - heavycrust in a barrel, lesson learned
« on: September 08, 2020, 09:42:45 PM »

After unloading 120-125 bullets with blue lube. Boiling out the blue lube then relubing with SPG. Then doing a run of 30 shots simulating a 6 round match at the local NCOWS shoot. Pistol was no dirtier than your typical C&B revolver. So, no more smokeless lubed bullets, lol. Can pretty much shoot anything I can get my hands on if I'm willing to put in the work. Just for sh!+$ and grins, does anyone know about the green lube that I've seen on some bullets?
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: follow up - heavycrust in a barrel, lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 09:53:13 PM »
I use SPG for smoke less and black, saves me keeping track of what has what.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 10:07:09 PM »
I use SPG for smoke less and black, saves me keeping track of what has what.

Kent, my mistake was loading blue lube smokeless bullets with BP. Big mistake. Yeah, SPG can be used for either powder.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:42:06 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 11:42:01 PM »
Blue / green / red lube all pretty much the same thing: smokeless wax lube.  That's commercial bullets, and I suppose that some folk's BP lube might have some color.  Desperado Cowboy Bullets has a blue lube that they claim is okay for smokeless or black.  That is possible I suppose, but my experience with those bullets in 45 Colt and 32-20 was that they work a LOT better with my homemade lube.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 06:42:46 AM »
Easiest way to remove smokiless lube is put em in the oven at 150-170 degrees on an old cookie pan that has a couple layers of news paper or paper towel on it. Melts the lube right off.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 09:11:35 AM »
Easiest way to remove smokiless lube is put em in the oven at 150-170 degrees on an old cookie pan that has a couple layers of news paper or paper towel on it. Melts the lube right off.
wM1

With the bullets laying on their sides, wicks out the lube quickly.  As an aside, those newspapers with the waxy spots on them make great fire-starters!

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 10:20:11 PM »
THANK YOU Wildman and Abilene, I just gave your smokeless lube removal process a try,  BEAUTIFUL!  I'm sure I tried melting that crap off in the oven at low temp before but wasn't happy with the results,  maybe the laying on the side thing is key?  Also pretty sure I didn't have newspaper underneath before either. The "firestarter" may even come in handy this weekend.

B.N.S.
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 05:15:43 AM »
THANK YOU Wildman and Abilene, I just gave your smokeless lube removal process a try,  BEAUTIFUL!  I'm sure I tried melting that crap off in the oven at low temp before but wasn't happy with the results,  maybe the laying on the side thing is key?  Also pretty sure I didn't have newspaper underneath before either. The "firestarter" may even come in handy this weekend.

B.N.S.

Hmm, firestarter, another old trick I use, dryer lint. Back when eggs came in cardboard cartons. We'd cut up the cups, fill them with lint and the melted wax from old candles. I've also used the paper drink trays. Next time I do bullets, will try this oven method.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 05:02:28 PM »
Avoid the heavy crust fouling.  Use Big Lube® bullets lube/sized with PL-II or some other fine BP lube.  Your barrel will be wetted to the muzzle and the fouling will disappear with a spritz of Moosemilk and a tug of the bore snake.  Presto pronto, you're good for a whole match with no fouling issues.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 09:57:15 PM »
Avoid the heavy crust fouling.  Use Big Lube® bullets lube/sized with PL-II or some other fine BP lube.  Your barrel will be wetted to the muzzle and the fouling will disappear with a spritz of Moosemilk and a tug of the bore snake.  Presto pronto, you're good for a whole match with no fouling issues.

DD-MDA

Greetings Dick!

GOOD to see you back and beating the ol' drum!

Us drummers has gots to stick together.
Now if only I could find my box of picture postcards I could beat the drum for them....

I am about to try my Big Lube .250 gr RNFP in my .45 ACP 1911 and semi-auto carbine!

yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 06:50:58 AM »
Back when eggs came in cardboard cartons.

"Back when they came"? ??? ???  Still do--at least in my 10-20!!! Do see em in stores and get them at times in steer-o-foam' (how my Dad said it), but pretty common to see em in the paper containers. We get eggs alot from a local farmers. We used to save the soft cardboard/paper containers for her so she could sell her eggs. She finally advised no need to anymore, had over abundance. I tossed probably two dozen of the cardboard containers on my burn pile and that was only around a year ago.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 07:57:53 PM »
The cardboard egg cartons used to be the ticket for "soundproofing" a room.

Back to the lube, I just finished day 1 (5 stages) of the Texas SASS BP championship with my usual loads, pistols 125gr TC with no lube over about 19gr of FFFg Goex.  Butter-flavor Crisco over the first two rounds, like I've done for 20 years now.  Rifle is .357 with same 125gr pill lubed with my mix on a lubrisizer over a little more FFFg than the .38's.  I shoot this rifle at the bigger matches because it is short stroked.  At locals more often the 44-40 for BP.  Anyway, no problems with fouling, as usual.  Spray some Ballistol in the bores and cylinders before putting in the car, easy clean at home.  The caveats are that it is only a 19" barrel and it is usually fairly humid around here, though not always.  This has always worked for me and is super easy (well, since I got the lubrisizer!  Pan lubing was a hassle).  And I like easy, being as lazy efficient as possible.  Now, if I ever got into casting, and it could happen some day, I would most assuredly be casting big-lube bullets.  I mean, why not?   Though all my rifles are 20" or less, I don't doubt I'll have some longer ones.  Need a Henry, after all.  I recall years ago when some of these big-lubes were pretty new, Three Legged Dog got one for his .45 '73.  He showed a picture of a target that he shot at 50 yards, 50 rounds shot standing off-hand at a fairly rapid pace, and the group was mostly about the size of a volleyball.  Tore the middle out.  Pretty impressive.  I recall he started with SPG but said they used so much of it that it was costing a lot, so he switched to a homemade lube.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 10:18:30 AM »

:)  HA!! and WELL NOW   ;)

I have a pertinent patent solution to this particular perplexing problem.  No Crust.  See!!  Simple.  No lube, No hassle, No Crusty stuff.  None.  Nada.  Nine.  How you say??  Well Now .........

APP.  APP requires no lube.  None.  Nada.  Nix.  Nine.  ZERO.  No lube cookies.  No Big Lube bullets,  No lube over the Ball.  No custom mixes.  No SPG.  In fact, Bullets with smokeless crayon lube can be shot with no ill effects.  Do it alla time.  Recently finished a three day (A real THREE day) annual match with Cap Guns, and a .45 Rifle.  160 rounds.  NO LUBES.  Cleanup took about 15 minutes per gun.  No sweatie da.  Rifle was quicker.  Spritz of watter donna barrel, wet patch, dry patch, Oily patch.  DONE. 

I do acknowledge I do Anneal my 45 Schofield cases and have ZERO Blow-By inna rifle which makes after match cleaning a SNAP!!  Think you OD #3.

Hide and Watch

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 05:05:47 PM »
Yeah, yeah, APP is fine for wanna-be's  ;D  But where's the boom and flame? 

edit: and the proper smell as well, hehe.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 06:57:55 PM »
No fad smokeless and no fake BP for me, either!  It's the real thing or nuthin'!

Not to mention the real thing is MUCH more accurate for long range rifles............
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »

Better for "Long Range you Say."  Smoke and mirrors say I.  I shoot long range (15 - 20 yards) with superb accuracy.  Arumpff.  So There.  Take THAT!!

Hide and Watch

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 01:38:36 PM »
Well damn, he showed us. :D
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 05:31:02 PM »
Spent the morning beating up my 75 yard target with my 1860 Henry using .45 CAS cases loaded with APP to the base of an 180 grain normal lube bullet. All in all 46 rounds fired pulled a wet bore snake through, a wet patch, dry patch and clean oil and back in the rack.
Real black in the hand guns, but love that APP in the rifle.
No crust no nothing APP likes petroleum lube or a bare bullet too.
Ask Coffinmaker he knows.
Respectfully
Bunk
P.S. made a pretty good percentage of hits shooting standing on my hind legs like a man ought to shoot.
Benches are made to sit on and have an adult beverage after shooting.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 12:21:58 PM »

:)  YEPPER   :)

PLUS ONE too BUNK   ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 03:04:57 PM »

:)  Well Hey Abilene   ;)

Um Ah Wanna-Be . . . . WHAT??  Lemmie see here.  Easier to Clean.  Easier to load ie:  No pesky lube cookies, No expensive Big Lube bullets, No nuisance lube patches under the Ball.  No greasy glob of grease over the Ball.

I do admit, no great gout of flame.  I don't miss that.  Can't see it from behind the gun anyway.  I get plenty of KAPOW  :D  and I bet I get more smoke.

Wanna-Be it a bunch simpler and it is.  Wanna-Be FUN!!  You Betcha.

Hide and Watch

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com